Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for overnight stay, deeper into the areas I had until now only probed after disembarking the kayak onshore. Tried out new sleeping bag and it worked :thumb: It's still hot here thank goodness, although the night rain kicked in as per usual. Best thing about the thick high canopies is that the ground was quite dry, but equally it was freezing as it radiated no day time heat. Followed after interesting wildlife like big fishies, beaver, lizards and huge frogs. By far the most interesting however are the birds of prey, seen swooping everwhere. Could anyone identify it from the photo? They have two white circles on the tops of the wings and will take anything from lizards to other birds.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Hi arrexian, maybe before we say what it is we could eliminate what it isn't?

Do you know what a buzzard is? Is it bigger than that?

Do you know what a kestrel is? Is it bigger than that?

Does it fly extremely quickly or does it mainly glide around?

Sorry for the stupid questions but this might narrow down the search.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That waterfall takes my breath away.
There's tiny streams all over the place feeding it, which are safe to drink. It's easy to get close up to waterfalls, as the rivers are shallow (about 2-4 foot).

Do you know what a kestrel is? Is it bigger than that?
Hi YB. Only times I've known I'm looking at a Kestrel was in Britain where they are the only brown falcon and thus just get called kestrels. There's other brown falcons in mainland Euro, in all kinds of sizes and colour which I don't know of at all. I saw a few, they had around half a foot greater wingspan than the one which stalked the fields where I grew up, without the black and brown interweaving feather pattern. When I look at the difference between the pictures it's hard to decide if the oval shaped wings of the one I saw are only different to the linked kestrel because one is swooping and the other is coming up the way. Maybe the distinctive white circles on the dark brown could be derived from the forested habitat. AFAIK kestrels like to hunt open plains, not forested, or at least they are buggered for choice in Britain. These birds seemed to circle at valley crest height altitudes, then swoop down into them going almost horizontal for a few feet before striking. In the last few meters the claws are out in front. Btw I don't know about buzzards, but may have seen one? Can't really get an idea for it with pictures :(

Sorry for the stupid questions but this might narrow down the search.
No problem, it sort of reminds me of when I posted a picture of some trees here and someone made a similarly toned comment about just maybe narrowing it down by showing some pics of such living trees. I posted such a pic and didn't get a follow up! :confused: Anyway it's not important, just hoped someone might know straight off from looking at a pic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.