Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pickling cucumbers are an excellent choice for a home garden. Just because they are called Pickling cucumbers does not mean they have to be "pickled." These are perfect for serving in a salad or in a side dish, or anything else. The "Pickling cucumber" will be about 3 inches long and about an inch in diameter when it is ready to be harvested. If the cucumber is allowed to ripen too long on the vine, the seeds will harden, making the cucumber hard to eat.

The Pickling cucumber is smaller and faster growing then some of the other cucumbers on the market. Being smaller has the advantage as there is less waste. Most families will not eat a full size cucumber at every meal. Because cucumbers are high production plants, it is very easy to grow more then a person or family can eat.

Cucumber on a vine.

For the most part, cucumbers are disease and pest resistant. This makes them an excellent choice for low maintenance gardens. The two big draw backs to cucumbers - they require a lot of nitrogen in the soil and they require a lot of water. The roots of cucumber plants run just under the top of the soil. So any lack of rain fall can affect the plant.

Cucumber plants produce a long vine, so they will need plenty of room to grow.

Freshly picked cucumbers straight from the garden.

It would be very easy to get this many cucumbers every few days from the garden.

Cucumbers do not have a high amount of nutrients in them. When the skin is removed, just about all of the nutrients are removed.

When saving the seeds from a cucumber, it is important to leave the cucumber on the vine for as long as possible. This means just that "as long as possible" - until the vine dies, or until the cucumber burst open.

This cucumber is the same type that is in the sink. It has been left on the vine to over ripen so the seeds can be harvested.

Advantages of cucumbers - high production plants, easy to grow and require little maintenance. Very easy to grow more then a family can eat.

Disadvantages of cucumbers - high nitrogen requirements, require a lot of water, do not produce a lot of nutrients in the cucumber, require a lot of room for the vines to run.

When buying cucumber seeds, avoid "hybrid" plants, as they may produce an non-fertile fruit. Pickling cucumbers are usually a heirloom plant, making them a good choice if saving the seeds is desired.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I prefer the fresh cucumbers, in the summer, but The pickled one are always a treat. Have you ever tried pickled green cherry tomatos? They are just as good. If anyone is interested in a recipie, just say the word.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
I prefer the fresh cucumbers, in the summer, but The pickled one are always a treat. Have you ever tried pickled green cherry tomatos? They are just as good. If anyone is interested in a recipie, just say the word.
Word! And Kev when did you plant those?

·
Registered
195 Posts
They are already on my list for crops to grow this year! I just got done last weekend setting out a planting schedule for around 13 crops I'm planning for the garden this year. Thanks for the pix!

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Word! And Kev when did you plant those?
Those pictures were taken in June 2006, The seeds were probably planted in mid to late March.

·
Molōn Labe!
673 Posts
I had decided to add a cucumber plant to my plans, and based on your description of harvesting that many fruit during a weeks time certainly sounds like i don't need more than one plant growing at a time unless i plan on giving away a ton of cucumbers!

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Pickling cucumbers due to the smaller size might be what I need for container growing.

Reactions: Survival Helper

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
OK, Hear is my green cherry tomato pickle recipe. 1qt. white vinigar, 2qt water, 1cup pickling salt, 1 sprig of dill, 1 hot pepper. Pack green cherry tomatos, hot pepper, and dill into sterilized jars. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a pot, mix and bring to a boil. Pour boiling liquid over tomatoes leaving the correct head space for the size jars you're using, and put on the lid. The jars will seal when they cool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts