Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife showed me that we have a bunch of jars of pickled chicken.

Some were pickled in a garlic vinegar, some are in wine vinegar and some are in ACV.

This was an experiment done last year while culling our poultry.

Other than pickled hog feet, there seem to be very few references to pickled meats. But pickling is very easy, and has been done for many centuries.

So does anyone have any ideas of how to include pickled chicken in a meal?

I was thinking of stir-frying with teriyaki and serving over rice and barley.

·
Banned
7,436 Posts
My wife showed me that we have a bunch of jars of pickled chicken.

Some were pickled in a garlic vinegar, some are in wine vinegar and some are in ACV.

This was an experiment done last year while culling our poultry.

Other than pickled hog feet, there seem to be very few references to pickled meats. But pickling is very easy, and has been done for many centuries.

So does anyone have any ideas of how to include pickled chicken in a meal?

I was thinking of stir-frying with teriyaki and serving over rice and barley.
I would have to taste the product before I could profile it for potential recipes. Generally any canned of pickled meat usually goes best with fresh accompaniments as a counter to the pickled profile.

my first thought would be a salad with perhaps some smoked nuts, fresh fruit and veggies.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
A demmed fine question and set of ideas! :D:

I'm mostly with tex... except some of those chinese stir-fries I add vinegar to already. don't know what ACV is though.

I'm thinking if the chicken's from last year, it will have aged and teh pickling will have gone through the chicken entirely. As such I'm thinking the flavour will be quite strong and quite permanent. Therefore

on crackers with cheese and tomato? Torn up into a salad?

perhaps next time when you pickle them you pickle with some soy sauce or similar in there? A little like a marinade?

Actually I wonder if you could make sweet & sour type chicken before canning it next cull. :)

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BBQ sauce often has a vinegar base, so that makes fine sense. :)

Shredded onto a salad with nuts, Parmesan cheese and a bit of oil; sounds good too :)

ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar [really good for you btw] We make our own vinegars.

Sweet and sour vinegar chicken? Maybe next cull :)

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts