Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Warning: EXPLOSIVE!
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up 10 pickle buckets with lids for $20, Filled them with baking soda and water for the smell. I'll let them sit for a week, wash, bleach, rinse, and start packing...

This is getting a little out of hand... and I like IT!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I get all mine from sandwich restautants and the like for free. Just go in , eat a couple sandwiches once in awhile and ask nice for them. I pick them up regularly so they are out of the way.

I make sure the rubber seal rings are not cut. I tell them how to open the bucket so it will be reusable. I even bought an opening tool for one place.

·
Editor, Ready Magazine
587 Posts
Those plastic food buckets are wonderful to have around. They make great storage on camping trips too.

I have buried them to the rim and filled them with ice for a make-shift cooler. about half full, then what you want to keep cold, then the lid. Finally fold up one of those surplus wool blankets to put over the lid and the ice lasts pretty well.

Not as good as a real cooler, but I only paid for the ice so it's a fair trade to me.

·
Warning: EXPLOSIVE!
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use the not so good ones to store primers, powder, meds, and so fourth...

Any of you guys store stuff in non food grade buckets?
I've got a dozen or so with good lids...
Ideas...

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I have a few non food grade buckets that are used to store canned goods, medical supplies and ammo.
Our everyday pantry I use food grade with gamma-lids. Made a wrench to get a good seal .
Use a lot of large "rubber-maid " totes for our long term storage, #10 cans, etc...
Putting regular canned food in the totes makes the weight a little too much to move comfortably............Alaskan.....Dennis....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
They make good portable gardens too. Plant in them and you can move your garden if needed such as in the case of, oh I don't know, maybe a hurricane.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Try your local Burger King for free pickle buckests.
I thought all that was in large cans. I'll have to call mine and see what they use and get an order of onion rings. :D:

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
I don't know what it is...but I have more Kikoman Soy Sauce buckets than I know what to do with. I always find those!!! I think they outnumber my bakery icing buckets 4 to 1- strange. Am I the only one who finds them?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts