Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i picked up a few things today to get my stash started. I know it probably isnt much but being a family of 4 its all i could afford for right now.

200 rds of 7.62x39
50 rounds of .22Mag
20rounds of .22mag Shot shells
2 ammo cans
M3 medical First-Aid bag
2 sterno emergency candles(60hrs each)
1 case of MRE's

Ill get some pics up if i can find my camera charger, i lost it in the move recently:(

·
To the Liberty Tree!
1,312 Posts
Mine is a family of 4 as well with only my husband working. Ammo is great and so are MRE's but rice and dried beans are a whole lot of bang for the buck.

Good start though. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good to hear, bearfoot. Good luck with your future preparations.

I agree with Lady Bug on the MREs. While they are nice, you would be better served with another food source. :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Whats that old saying? A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Your on the right road now , you will have more peace of mind and your family will be more secure for your actions.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree with all of the above you can make 10 times more of your own mres for the same amount that you payed for the store bought ones good start though.

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine is a family of 4 as well with only my husband working. Ammo is great and so are MRE's but rice and dried beans are a whole lot of bang for the buck.

Good start though. :)
Oh dont worry that stuff is on the works, going to Costco tomorow. Also going to pick up some food grade 5gal containers

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with all of the above you can make 10 times more of your own mres for the same amount that you payed for the store bought ones good start though.
Yeah i realize that but the MRE's are much easier to store, esspecially until i get stuff to better store rice beans and such. If we have to B.O. MRE's will be easier to travel with and take up less space, especially when you consider all of the cooking utensils required for a family of 6.

I dont know what i was thinking, the wife and I dont have a family of 4, i have 4 kids so i guess that would make us a family of 6!!! DUh math owns me!!!lol

·
To the Liberty Tree!
1,312 Posts
Glad to hear that you are really on the move with your supplies! MRE's do travel well, but 4 kids don't.

Remember that you can cook out of cans and there is always the option to carve spoons and bowls. Improvise improvise improvise. Think creatively.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is a start and soon you will have more. Your survival instincts have kicked in and now you will be thinking about what else you can get every pay when you have a little extra cash. Most of us started small and the most important thing is to start. Congrats. :thumb:

·
Registered
6 Posts
glad to see you starting to prepare for your family's welfare.

fyi buy more 22 ammo, it's cheap, and effective for practicing your shooting skills(breathing, target aqcuisition, trigger squeeze etc.), small game/birds, self defense and urban warfare is close range......:taped:

·
Banned
156 Posts
Well i picked up a few things today to get my stash started. I know it probably isnt much but being a family of 4 its all i could afford for right now.

200 rds of 7.62x39
50 rounds of .22Mag
20rounds of .22mag Shot shells
2 ammo cans
M3 medical First-Aid bag
2 sterno emergency candles(60hrs each)
1 case of MRE's

Ill get some pics up if i can find my camera charger, i lost it in the move recently:(

Where did you get the MRE's from and what kind are they Civilian or Military grade?

·
Not Totally Clueless
591 Posts
Great start - I am the same way been putting up for awhile now but no where near where i should be. I did MRE's for awhile then found out that Vacuum packing and canning can go alot further. Did do a check the other night though and between free web samples and hotels i have stayed at I now have over 250 travel sizes of shampoo, conditioner, soap, mouthwash and deoderant.......I may starve but I'll be dang fresh smelling when I do!

·
Registered
589 Posts
You may want to look into oil lamps for emergency lighting. Many lamps are available for as little as $5.00 and a half gallon of lamp oil is not much more. In terms of burn time a half gallon bottle of oil can usually go almost 180 hours. If you only burn the lamp 6 hours a day then the half gallon will last you a month.

Do you have a stove for cooking without electricity? Homemade denatured alcohol stoves can be made for little more than pennies if you search your garbage for the components. Likewise, buddy burners are just as cheap to make and do not involve using flammable liquids. If you are not familiar, a buddy burner is made from a shallow can, corrugated carboard, and wax.

·
Unlocked and loaded
1,161 Posts
Good start,

Do what you can with what you have. Add a little at a time, as you can afford it without hurting your life style too much. Thats when the kids and the wife start to complain. Better that you got started, than not at all. Good start.

Keep your senses sharp and your weapons clean, loaded and ready.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Walmart has some oil lamps for $4.97 - located in the Candle section. They typically have 4 on the shelf at a time. They have a cheap plastic one that is a bit larger and a dollar more, but I chose the smaller, better quality lamp.
I picked up all four on my last visit. The next week, they had restocked. Last week, they were all gone again. The point is, if you cant find them, check on your next visit.

The lamp oil is about $3 for the small one - $4 for the larger one.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Great start! I keep 3 MREs hidden in the office at work and have others in my bug home bag and the tote in the wifes car. MREs are not our long term supplies but I think you will find that during an emergency their great when the adrenaline is pumping or your coming down off it and its hard to think. Just hand them out to the family and eat. When you have time to stop your head from spinning, that is when you use you other preps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts