Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ruger SP101 .327 with 4" barrel,no thinking about it no question if I have one handgun to carry thats the one,not my favorite if carrying working on farm it"ll be single seven .327 either 5.5"or 7.5" barrel,if in town for only defense,It'll be a Ruger LCR .38,a Ruger LCP9S,or possibly one of my .32ACP handguns,but if pick one that one covers what I need all around its the SP101 .327,enough barrel to get good sight picture and velocity,small enough I can hide it with normal cloths

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
If we could carry concealed here in Canuckistan, I would go with a revolver. Way I see it, concealed carry is not about extended fire fights and the like, so mag capacity and the like are not as much an issue. I like the idea of .357 myself as I plan on buying a pair of them very soon.

Either Colt or Ruger suit me fine, but being a traditionalist who learned to shoot on S&W revolvers I would love to be able to make that work too...
My kimber revolver is not terrible to shoot and easy to carry.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Sig 365XL is my fave these days. TRULY concealable to the point you wouldn't hesitate to use it. A Game Changer.

A little cooler weather, and it's a Walther PPQ.

Cold weather, and shoulder holster options up many powerful options, including the FNX45, HK45, even a Glock 40 10mm (6") or 686P .357 Mag 6" if you'll be visiting the woods. As much as I love the fullsize USP 45T variants, I view them more as open WAR guns. Would be a lot of work to conceal and comfortably carry all day (but far from impossible).

·
Awesome
17,892 Posts
Sig 365X is my fave these days. TRULY concealable to the point you wouldn't hesitate to use it.

A little cooler weather, and it's a Walther PPQ.

Cold weather, and shoulder holster options up many powerful options, including the FNX45, HK45T, even a Glock 40 10mm (6") or 686P .357 Mag 6" if you'll be visiting the woods. As much as I love the fullsize USP 45 variants, I view them more as open WAR guns. Would be a lot of work to conceal and comfortably carry all day (but far from impossible).
Which one do you shoot more accurately with faster follow up shots between the 365 and the PPQ?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Which one do you shoot more accurately with faster follow up shots between the 365 and the PPQ?
PPQ, best trigger out there. And it accepts 16 rd P99 mags if you can find them. (y) I had a hard time choosing it vs the HK VP9, but the deciding factor was the slimmer beveled slide. Me being me, I've been lusting after the VP9 since then however, and will probably soon have both...

The PPQ is still MUCH thicker and larger overall than the 365X however. Thickness of only 1" is what separates the 365 from the competition. Doesn't matter if you have a super stubby version of duty pistol, because it's still ~1.5" thick! Traditional duty SIGs are the worst about having Buick-sized slides, but they nailed it with the 365, a real game changer.

·
Awesome
17,892 Posts
PPQ, best trigger out there. And it accepts 16 rd P99 mags if you can find them. (y) I had a hard time choosing it vs the HK VP9, but the deciding factor was the slimmer beveled slide.

It is MUCH thicker and larger overall than the 365X however. Thickness is what separates the 365 from the competition, being 1" thick. Doesn't matter if you have a super stubby version of duty pistol, because it's still ~1.5" thick!
Yeah, that's the downside with smaller guns. For any given caliber, the smaller you get, the more difficult it becomes to shoot as quickly and as accurately. The loss of mass has an adverse effect on felt recoil, and kick.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yeah, that's the downside with smaller guns. For any given caliber, the smaller you get, the more difficult it becomes to shoot as quickly and as accurately. The loss of mass has an adverse effect on felt recoil, and kick.
I think the original 365 is slightly too far in the micro direction for my big mitts, although the X has a little more to hold on to and is manageable enough. The XL is starting to creep back into compact duty pistol length, however.

·
Awesome
17,892 Posts
I think the original 365 is slightly too far in the micro direction for my big mitts, although the X has a little more to hold on to and is manageable enough. The XL is starting to creep back into compact duty pistol length, however.
I don't really think you can get too small of a handgun unless you have a problem actually holding it or getting your finger into the trigger guard. I do think it's more likely some guns are too small, for the caliber. For example, I wouldn't want to carry a sub-16oz LCR in .357 magnum. If I was carrying a revolver that light, understanding most handgun ballistics wars are complete bullcrap anyway, I'd probably choose some low recoil .38 special loads that I could shoot faster while still staying on target.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I don't really think you can get too small of a handgun unless you have a problem actually holding it or getting your finger into the trigger guard. I do think it's more likely some guns are too small, for the caliber. For example, I wouldn't want to carry a sub-16oz LCR in .357 magnum. If I was carrying a revolver that light, understanding most handgun ballistics wars are complete bullcrap anyway, I'd probably choose some low recoil .38 special loads that I could shoot faster while still staying on target.
For actual (light) .357 Mag loads like Golden Saber or Gold Dot Short Barrel, I wouldn't bother with much less than a 3" barrel anyway. Below that a toasty .38 SPL for sure. There are lots of good specialized light .357 and heavy .38 loads for smaller revolvers now.

Although essentially never carried for a pure SD role, I have some 125 gr anti-thug ammo for my 686P 6" also. Very fearsome velocity is gained with only 3" more barrel length! I like 125 gr PDX1 a lot. Heavier .357 loads like 158 gr (even Gold Dots) simply have far too much penetration on soft, wimpy humans.

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
PPQ, best trigger out there. And it accepts 16 rd P99 mags if you can find them. (y) I had a hard time choosing it vs the HK VP9, but the deciding factor was the slimmer beveled slide. Me being me, I've been lusting after the VP9 since then however, and will probably soon have both...

The PPQ is still MUCH thicker and larger overall than the 365X however. Thickness of only 1" is what separates the 365 from the competition. Doesn't matter if you have a super stubby version of duty pistol, because it's still ~1.5" thick! Traditional duty SIGs are the worst about having Buick-sized slides, but they nailed it with the 365, a real game changer.
have you tried the PDP? I dry fired one at the LGS and had they had the 4 inch model i prolly would have bought it right there.
I want a sig p365 , but i just know as soon as i buy that walther will make their version and i want it so much more.

·
Is that all?
840 Posts
I'd be happy with my G43x with 15 rd shield arms mags. I have a blacked out rear sight, and a Truglo big orange/tritium front, the front sight on this pistol is literally impossible to miss. I'll probably get a trigger disconnect so I have a slightly lighter trigger pull, but I definitely think that 15 rounds of 9mm in a package smaller than a Glock 19 is a winner.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
have you tried the PDP? I dry fired one at the LGS and had they had the 4 inch model i prolly would have bought it right there.
I want a sig p365 , but i just know as soon as i buy that walther will make their version and i want it so much more.
Since I already have a PPQ, I can't see a compelling reason to get a PDP unless it's the 5" version for more of duty/combat rather than CCW role, which I already have filled 4-5 times! :D To really tempt me, they would have to offer the German style M1 mag release, which is simply too cool. I dont' think the PPQ trigger can really be improved upon, it's perfect.

I believe the 365XL is the clear champ in the micro range for sure. Slimness is everything. GREAT trigger also. And I wasn't convinced about straight triggers before.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I also have a Walther PPQ and love it's trigger but on more than one occasion the Slide End Cap has slid down less than 1/8" of an inch stopping the slide from going fully forward. Because of this I switched to the H&K VP 40 which also has a great trigger and grip.

For a pocket carry 380 I can't find anything better than a Kimber Micro 380. But for some reason the Kimber Micro 9 I had wasn't very reliable so I sold it and carry a SIG P938.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I really like my little sig p238 its just a tad smaller , I bought mine when they first came out .
I would get the 9mm version but I just don’t reload for 9mm
I have the dies and cases but no projectiles the madness has to stop some where .
I sold off my 9s 🤷‍♂️

·
What hell, pay attention
8,461 Posts
I really like my little sig p238 its just a tad smaller , I bought mine when they first came out .
I would get the 9mm version but I just don’t reload for 9mm
I have the dies and cases but no projectiles the madness has to stop some where .
I sold off my 9s 🤷‍♂️
You have an early gun that actually worked?! :)

I bought a P238 when they first came out too and didnt have it long.

Mine did this constantly, and I cant remember ever getting through a mag without a stoppage. Most of which were like this......

About 5-10% of my brass was unloadable after being fired in it as well.

I seem to remember SIG went through a number of changes with springs and things when they first rushed them out and there was a LOT of bitching about them. I know I wasnt happy with mine. It was also the first SIG I ever had any troubles with. Then again, it wasnt a true "P" series gun, and just another 1911 copy that, like a lot of the other copies, was trouble.

If you have one of those early guns that works, consider yourself very lucky.

Reactions: Outpost75

·
Registered
77 Posts
Glock 27 with an extra G33 barrel and a 9mm conversion barrel since I don't know what the ammunition situation might look like down the road. I already have this combo and it works well. Add extra +2 magazines and I have 13 rounds to work with. Accurate with all 3 calibers.

Thomas

121 - 140 of 149 Posts