Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Never mentioned anything about only one gun, just one for CC. Its been a long while, but NYC used to limit the gun(s) on your permit, and the gun itself was listed.

Again this was just an exercise for people to look at what they carry, and if it could or would be a "lifetime choice".

You caught the wording, and yes that was specific for the question.
And no limits were placed on open carry, or possession, just getting people to think.

For years I carried a 1911, everywhere. Except when it was too big or would stand out. Then it was a G23, unless it was too big or would stand out.
That's when I really started looking at the guns that I can carry 24/7/265, and augment with larger when I can. But the CC piece would have to work all of the time.

Why the "lifetime" limitation? Simple, because after 30+ years of carrying a 1911 or a Glock, certain handling techniques are just locked in and I don't want to have to be retraining at the age of 65 or 70 on something new.

I actually considered a Colt Agent .38 with a set of Spegel boot grips and a hammer shroud, but the semi-recent shoulder problem which left me one handed made reloading a wheelgun, especially a small one nigh on impossible.

I considered the G43 as the "easy button" answer but my experience with the Gen2 guns and sending cracked frames back to Glock, still puts me off of them as a long-term option.

Again this was to get people thinking.
See you have a diff take on the scenario. I was thinking more like a CA carry permit where the Type of gun is on the permit. So you do not have to have the same exact gun for life it is replaceable.

if i wanted a gun to last my lifetime i wouldbe more leaning to a glock 19, sig p229 , or maybe a baretta 92

·
Semper Fi
10,188 Posts
Though I open carry so aren't really worried about concealability, I recently picked up a Glock 43X and the 15rd mags Shield Arms makes for it. Thing is barely bigger (1/10" wider yet takes same slide) as the G43 yet has 15+1 instead of 6+1 of 9mm on tap.

If Glock would have ditched their plastic mags they would be rolling in the dough as Shield Arms sells every $40 mag they can get made. Pistol is a dud in the OEM 10+1 configuration but those 15rd mags turn it into a whole different animal.

·
Awesome
17,892 Posts
I'd definitely just stick with my Makarov PM. It's the only concealable pistol I have that I can actually be sure would last me the rest of my life. With only a few, fairly large all steel components, and no locking mechanism what so ever, there just isn't much that can go wrong on them.

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
I'd definitely just stick with my Makarov PM. It's the only concealable pistol I have that I can actually be sure would last me the rest of my life. With only a few, fairly large all steel components, and no locking mechanism what so ever, there just isn't much that can go wrong on them.
That’s not a bad way to go, if you have ammo. I have three Makarovs, (East German, Bulgarian and Russian commercial) and several cousins that share the ammo. Love them all.

·
Awesome
17,892 Posts
Yeah, the one advantage (besides more muzzle energy) over .380, is that 9x18 brass can be made from much more common 9x19mm brass. A bag full of once fired 9mm can easily be repurposed for the makarov which is of a larger base diameter than the .380.

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
Yeah, the one advantage (besides more muzzle energy) over .380, is that 9x18 brass can be made from much more common 9x19mm brass. A bag full of once fired 9mm can easily be repurposed for the makarov which is of a larger base diameter than the .380.
Is there a handy substitute for the .365 bullets? That would make me happy...

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
If we could carry concealed here in Canuckistan, I would go with a revolver. Way I see it, concealed carry is not about extended fire fights and the like, so mag capacity and the like are not as much an issue. I like the idea of .357 myself as I plan on buying a pair of them very soon.

Either Colt or Ruger suit me fine, but being a traditionalist who learned to shoot on S&W revolvers I would love to be able to make that work too...

·
Registered
155 Posts
My current EDC carry is a Ruger LC9s. It has Tru Glo TFO sights and LaserMax light/laser. It's light, holds 7 +1, I have 10 and 7 round spare mags and has a very good factory trigger.

Based off of the premise. I would probably go with a Glock 27 (gen 4). Night sights, TLR-6, the other caliber barrels (9, .357 Sig), the .22 LR conversion.

I carry the Glock on duty and like it. The Ruger is simply lighter and slimmer.

I will add that the Glock does also offer the ability to run very high capacity mags, mags which are common to pistol caliber carbines.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've carried an H&K USPc in .40 since 2013, which I bought new. I've never had a failure with it, and after investing the time and training to become so used to the paddle mag release and DA/SA trigger, I really can't imagine why I'd change now.

It's been a fine handgun. I sometimes wish it were a wee bit smaller, but I don't wish it bad enough to swap.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've carried an H&K USPc in .40 since 2013, which I bought new. I've never had a failure with it, and after investing the time and training to become so used to the paddle mag release and DA/SA trigger, I really can't imagine why I'd change now.

It's been a fine handgun. I sometimes wish it were a wee bit smaller, but I don't wish it bad enough to swap.
I had one of these a while back. loved that gun. I was stupid IMO and sold it. then sold all my other guns when I was going though a divorce building back better the last few years. I dont think Ill ever sell another gun.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
MasterCast makes single band lubed Mak slugs seems 102 grs. I bought a box of 500 some years back, wish I had got 2. I've made 'dum-dum's with some. impressive damage in wet stacked cardboard. at least .38 spcl-type damage and 3 more rounds. I sold my model 10 Mak s better IMO

·
Awesome
17,892 Posts
I've been thinking about what was said about the Makarov PM that I carry and about the availability of ammunition and have been somewhat considering switching to a caliber more common in the US. While making brass is easy enough, bullets are uncommon and most ammo is imported. It's a great round, but also a scarce one. Also the Makarov, despite being a great pistol, does have a lot of heft to it, it's not small or light by any stretch and I am leaning towards something better suited for all year 24/7 carry chambered in a more western caliber. I may be switching to a .380 or .32acp pocket pistol for my single pistol choice.

The bottom line is that if I have to choose one pistol, it's going to be one that I can have on me anywhere, at all times, with any clothing configuration, in any weather. A small caliber pistol in the pocket beats a larger caliber pistol left at home.

·
Registered
599 Posts

I recently started carrying my stainless Usp .40. I've been carrying it OWB though so not too much worry on comfort. I need to run some 357 sig through the extra barrel I have so I can have that option too.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I just picked mine up at the LGS yesterday. Sig P365. It will be my new EDC and if I had to choose one gun, that would be it.

It really would depend on the situation and the reason to only have one. I could see myself going with my 1911 in some circumstances.

101 - 120 of 149 Posts