Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which is the best mosquito and tick repellent, Picaridin, Permethrin, or DEET?

Picaridin is odorless, colorless, and is part of the Piperidine, which is an organic compound. Picaridin is suppose to be effective for up to around 10 hours.

Permethrin is part of the Pyrethroid family which is organic. Permethrin works by paralyzing insects. From what I have found, clothing treated with Permethrin does not repel insects, but kills them after they come into contact with it. This gives biting bugs time to bite their victim.

On a recent hiking trip I sprayed my clothes down with Permethrin the day before the trip. A tick still got under my shirt and was able to sting me on my belly.

DEET is a synthetic compound that repels biting bugs. Studies show DEET can be effective up to around 6 hours, depending on DEET percentage.

I have been using DEET for around 40 years and have been happy with the results. As compared to Permethrin which did not protect from biting bugs. I have not used Picaridin, but plan on it during my next hiking trip. As a backup I am also bringing a bottle of Repel 40% DEET

~~~~ EDIT ~~~~

Decided to go hiking on Sunday July 19, 2020. Started off the morning with a shower, shaved, put on my underwear, stepped outside and sprayed myself down with Picaridin. We are talking head to feet, sides, and the back as good as I could get.

Got the the woods, then sprayed my clothes and shoes with Repel 40% deet.

I was wearing cargo shorts, short socks, and skechers shoes.

Spent a little over 5 hours in the woods, traveled 10.2 miles - used a hiking app - and got bit by one tick just above my short no show shocks.

Let's just say I am very happy with the results.

Pictures of the trip have been attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I believe permethrin is a pretty effective repellent also.
It might not work that way for ticks and mosquitos but roaches and spiders will run like their ass is on fire to get away from it.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
I use Ceaderside, less harmful to the human body, and will keep ticks, fleas, mosquitos away. In fact safe for infants, kittens, and puppies. I refuse to put more poison on my body.
Kills ants and other crawlies too

·
Registered
449 Posts
Shoes, socks, pant legs with permethrin and skin, hats and shirts deet. That seems to work for me, but if I plan on going through any long grass or brush I might do whole pants and shirts with permethrin. Permethrin seems to work well for ticks.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I bought the sawyer permethrin aerosol can and really like the results thus far.

It is supposed to last on clothing for so many weeks and/or so many washes in the laundry.

DEET is always good for spraying over the treated clothes and skin for me. However I have found myself using the lemon/eucalyptus OFF spray more often with better results. It’s stout though and I like the smell.

I have not yet ventured to try picaridin yet. Heard people say it works pretty well.

When I spray my clothes and skin I focus on a few areas for extra passes. I spray my waist and belt extra. I spray my neck and sleeves extra and around my boots again as well. Obviously bugs can and will get on clothes anywhere but they have to pass double sprayed areas to bite me that way.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
DEET is very effective, it's just often too caustic on most synthetics. We are heading out tomorrow for a backpacking trip. We spray our clothing with Permethrin, and I take along Picaridin for spot applications on the skin (exposed legs, arms, neck). Nothing is going to be 100%, but I’ve had the best results from pretreating clothes with Permethrin. The key is to really soak all the openings (legs, sleeves, waist area, collar, etc.

We still check daily for ticks when our, but haven’t had any…

ROCK6

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Duranon is what I like most, although the name has been changed:

https://www.scs-mall.com/Coulston-D..._-NEW-label-Sawyer-Clothing/productinfo/DTRS/

Duranon Brand now Sawyer Clothing

The Duranon label has been discontinued - the same formula is in all Sawyer brand products. Sawyer has owned the Duranon formula for many years and remains the primary supplier to the US Military.
0.5 % Permethrin Fabric Treatment
Developed for and still used by the US Military permethrin is a key component to the DoD insect protection system

The DoD system is rated at 99.99% effective as protection against ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers, mites and more! Designed as a clothing treatment . . . it's the perfect delivery system. Permethrin actually bonds to the fabric; lasts for weeks and can even withstand detergent washings.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I use permethrin on my clothes before a trip to the woods. Then I spray deep woods off on my pants and boots. That way any ticks that get on me will drop off. I also spray my arms and neck.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
For woods bugs I have found Deet works best. For a while I worked for a company the renovated apartment buildings. I used to spray down with Permethrin for those nasty places, bedbugs and whatnot.

·
The river flows
908 Posts
DEET dosnt work on black flys.
I have found that richard organics flea and tick spray works on mosquitos and black flys. Also safe for dogs.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...MIwZmTjvH56QIVFUWGCh3TnQY-EAQYASABEgL_YfD_BwE
Here in the jungle of Ontario in summer, I find deet works great for mosquitoes, if you reapply every 2-3 hours and do a good job of spraying clothes and dabbing neck and arms.

As for blackfly, deet does work (at least in Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova scotia and labrador), but not with the 100% success rate of well applied deet when dealing with mosquitoes. For blackfly, I wear a net and spray a small amount of deet when bad, just spray deet and no net when moderate. Some bites are unavoidable unless wearing a net, but the net is very hot for construction or strenuous hiking after a while (I wore a net 90% of the time I was outside in daytime away from camp when I worked in labrador).

The odd bite is part of being in wild bush.

I find deet at 15% is fine for moderate bugs when gardening, 25% for construction in the bush, and 35-40% if bush whacking through a swamp in June.

I have been building a shack in the woods these past few weeks and worked in deep bush (as in fly-in camps) since 2005.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Formic acid from ants. I saw a YT vid from "Survival Russia" showing that formic acid repels ticks, mosquitoes and biting flies. Drop a rag or handkerchief on an ant nest and let the ants attack it. They'll spray their formic acid on it. After about 15 minutes, pick up the rag and shake off the ants. Dip the rag in water and wipe the residue of the formic acid on your exposed skin. I haven't tried this because I live in Phoenix and don't have the same bug problem. But it might work in your AO.

·
Old Fart
533 Posts
Don't wash your clothes with permethrin. You soak them in a tub and then let it air dry. Also soak your tent, tarp, and pack in it as well...basically anything made of a fabric. Also DO NOT let cats get near permethrin till it has evaporated and your fabric items are dry. Permethrin is basically nerve gas to cats.

·
force multiplier
258 Posts
As many have pointed out; combinations of repellents work best. Permethrin is ONLY for your clothes and other "fabrics". It can become toxic if sprayed directly on your skin. I follow the manufacturers recs on application. Let it air dry at least 24 hrs before wearing.

I have found treating my exposed skin with 100% DEET , in combination with "all" of my clothes pre-treated with Permetherine, has been virtually "bug" proof over the years. I also stay away from DEET in aerosols. Spray cans are difficult to control and the over spray can ruin many synthetic fabrics. Think, uber expensive, quick drying hiking pants and shirts. Plus, nothing worse than accidentally spraying your eye or inhaling the stuff. I buy the little 4oz pump spray bottles and spray into my hands and then apply to my face and exposed skin. It doesn't take much and one bottle can last every weekend for the entire summer.

For mosquitos and flies I do the same as above; but also carry a mosquito net that covers my head and neck. For when they are thickest and difficult to discourage.

Last, in spite of the summer heat and humidity, always wear long sleeves and long pants. You can treat your fancy shorts and t-shirts and bathe in DEET; but you will still get eaten by the rioting buggers. Just the way it is and always will be. I even take a pair of treated cotton jersey gloves when I'm going to be in mosquito country(Ouachita River bottoms in south Ar/La).

I have long since quit caring about how I look in the field. Some will look "cooler"; but, because of my coverage, I will not be pulling ticks and scratching bites at the end of the day. YMMV

Best Regards

Rod

1,005 Posts
I believe the military’s OCP uniform is treated with permethrin. I don’t have mine close by to check, but that sounds right.

I do know that from January to May I was poking around in the brush in multiple places throughout Texas, and never found any ticks on myself, or anyone else in my flight/platoon.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Consumer Reports recently did a big study on repellents - worth a look.

I have also heard good things about Thermacell units to keep skeeters away.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts