Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New account here. Had not posted here in ages. At least 6-7 years.

Facebook time sucked me away.

Facebook censorship is why I am back.

I live in the Philippines. Metro Manila.

Been in the prep thing for a long time. kinda casual, then serious, then well ya know.

Not a stranger to the scene. Lived all over the world, seen a lot in some very bad places.

My alarm was twigged on Jan 30 for this.

Before that middle of January I had a volcano erupt 40 miles from my house (checked via google maps) and dumped a lot of ash on me.

Masks here were sold out then (mid January) for the most part.

I stocked up moderately. 25 kilos of rice, couple big boxes of canned foods, some dust masks and filled up both cars tanks with gas.

Wilcon Depot (Philippines version of Lowes or Home depot) was sold out of dust masks by the next morning except for the high grade stuff.made in Europe (Truper brand) I got some paint respirators, and a few n95 masks to hand to the security guards in my subdivision.

Kept a eye on the news and as each stage of things got worse and worse, I stocked up more and more. Not exactly how I planned to become self sufficient. I have very little land for a garden. I did buy a lot of garden supplies to include fertilizer and bug killer. Soil here is rocky red clay.

There is plenty of vacant lots in the subdivision. However, dry season is near, and let us say that shortages arise, any garden planted outside my fence will get robbed.

Fast forward to yesterday or rather about 20 hours ago, I got word thru my network that a Moslem vendor at a mall had it.

This morning a employee at a call center has it.

The moselm vendor has a house near me. Very upscale place. Both places are not poor by any means where these cases are. However that only means that the victims had money to go to a doctor.

12 of the top 50 most densest populated cities in the world are part of Metro Manila. We have 30 million people in a 60x60 mile square.

Our power supply comes from Indonesian coal. Our water from the mountains NE of town.

Expecting some tough times ahead here.

·
The Black Death
235 Posts
Hey Phil!

I have a chat mate in Metro Manilla from Batangas. I know of your troubles.

Sent my friend $50 last month. I'm all tapped out here in the US prepping for the coronavirus. I wish the PH would not get the virus because I know most of the people there do not have the income or cash to deal with it. I think many in the US are in the same boat.

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Yeah it is like the wild west there sometimes. We have family that own fish ponds and they have to sleep out there and guard them. It will be interesting to see how it spreads with high temps and high humidity. Lots of people dont have AC . The flu barely hits the philippines so I wouldnt be too worried.

Philippines has 104 million. In 2019 there were 68K flu like illnesses and 8 deaths.

To compare, the US has 330 million, 40-60 million infected with flu, 40K deaths.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they had a lot more than 8 deaths from flu. I attended one funeral for it, and know several who have died from it here personally including one American childhood friend from Dubuque Iowa.

Total population is closer to 109 million.

Flu kills a lot of people here.

The local situation is a cluster. Very little screening, more sick. this place is a time bomb waiting to explode.

When Juan Tambay goes emergency shopping with a machete, and fueled with a liter of gin, all will break loose. (tambay is a bastardization of standby, otherwise saying they just stand around like a bum on the corner)

Upper classes have already prepared. Low class are still worrying about Korean Boy bands, dance crazes, and the latest joke skit on TV.

Sounds like the USA eh?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Do you have any relatives that live in the provinces that you can go and stay? I use to live in Cavite, and during a red tide I went to Vasayas. If you can bug out, before it gets worse would be the best time. I remember how crowded the ferry was in normal times, I could not imagine if there was a panic.
I am thinking about moving back, I hope you continue to post, I might have questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The official count is 1000% misleading.

A lot of people from Philippines work in China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, etc. They are often undocumented workers. I'm sure many of them are infected and are flooding home as we speak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts