Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
I saw one of those attempted robberies at an in-store grocery pharmacy a few years ago. The pharmacy department was at the end of the frozen foods aisle. I was standing there, picking out frozen veggies to buy when I heard a loud argument between the pharmacist and another man. The pharmacist was refusing to fill the guy's bogus prescription for painkillers. Then the man pulled out a handgun and started wildly firing shots at random, screaming that he wanted those pills.

One of those rounds went by so close to my head that I could hear it passing. I hit the floor immediately behind my shopping cart and prayed that this maniac would not fire at me again.

Then the would-be robber ran by, heading for the front store exit......where he promptly ran right into the arms of incoming police officers. (While he argued with the pharmacist, a quick-thinking pharmacy employee had retreated to the back and called police for help.)

By some miracle, none of those shots fired by this lunatic actually hit anyone. But, I don't doubt that this type of incident will be on the increase, as the economy continues to deteriorate.

Desperate people do desperate crazy things. Often, when you least expect it to happen.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
This will be one of the biggest dangers in a shtf scenario. With the economy continuing to falter the drug heads will do what they have to to satisfy their addictions. Another thing on the rise are these "flash robberies" where punks organize online and hit a store at an exact time. When hundreds show up they just walk in and strip the store. The staff are virtually helpless in doing anything whatsoever. Sometimes humans are just one step above a common animal sadly...if that.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
Sometimes humans are just one step above a common animal sadly...if that.
Above?
Have my doubts at times, like when I look at Chicago crime reports.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Desperate people do desperate crazy things. Often, when you least expect it to happen.
Especially when they're stoned or jonesin.

Predictable, rational people are easy to deal with by comparison. Drunks, tweakers, and junkies are capable of anything, anytime.

Az

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
Whatever you do, don't kill an armed robber in a pharmacy or you will go to jail. Just ask Jerome Ersland.
Let's not take things out of context. He shot the man, and he went down. He then chased the accomplice out of the store. Then he came back, retrieved another gun, and proceeded to empty it into the wounded man lying on the floor.

This is not the same thing as shooting someone in self defense. While I would not have sentenced Mr. Ersland to life in prison for what he did, shooting someone already down, after the fact, is excessive and against the law. Shooting someone standing there pointing a gun in your face is not, at least in almost every state. It probably is against the law in New York City and Illinois.

Az

1 - 9 of 9 Posts