Survivalist Forum banner

Pharmacies out of medications?

960 37
Is anyone else having trouble getting routine prescription medications filled? The pharmacies in my area are out of several commonplace meds and they say they don't know when they're going to get any more.

It's almost like some medications have been cut off entirely but the pharmacies aren't coming right out and saying so. My doctor is surprised and says this is all very strange.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Michigander
1,782 Posts
Is anyone else having trouble getting routine prescription medications filled? The pharmacies in my area are out of several commonplace meds and they say they don't know when they're going to get any more.

It's almost like some medications have been cut off entirely but the pharmacies aren't coming right out and saying so. My doctor is surprised and says this is all very strange.
Contact your insurance provider and see if they offer an online ordering service.
Mine issues 90 day amount and free shipping, cheaper than local drug store.

· Ordinary Average Guy
1,313 Posts
I had to wait 2 months to get the drain cleaner for my colonoscopy. The Dr tried to order 2 different kinds, neither had a short lead time. I have been out of Gabapentin for 3 months now. Thankfully it is just for restless legs and not life threatening, just learning to live with it.
I get my meds through one of the larger chains, not Fred's pharmacy & barber shop....

· ICBM Warrior
1,266 Posts
I had to wait 2 months to get the drain cleaner for my colonoscopy. The Dr tried to order 2 different kinds, neither had a short lead time. I have been out of Gabapentin for 3 months now. Thankfully it is just for restless legs and not life threatening, just learning to live with it.
I get my meds through one of the larger chains, not Fred's pharmacy & barber shop....
If you can find it at the store, just buy 3 bottles of magnesium citrate...they were about $1 ea...you drink 2 of them and you'll be cleaned out overnight...i'd save the 3rd to "augment" if things aren't
"moving out".

· Badass Moderator 🤷
10,218 Posts
My gastroenterologist appointment I need -- made it in October. First appt. date I could get was December. Then in December they called and told me they needed to move me to February. Guess who sent me an email to call because they need to reschedule my February appointment. 🙄🙄🙄 I'm not even gonna respond. They will figure it out, I'm sure.

· Registered
1,454 Posts
If you can find it at the store, just buy 3 bottles of magnesium citrate...they were about $1 ea...you drink 2 of them and you'll be cleaned out overnight...i'd save the 3rd to "augment" if things aren't
"moving out".
When I was an RN, one patient said she just couldn’t drink that colonoscopy cleaning stuff and asked for something easier. Dr ordered a few bottles of mag citrate and about 10 Sennakot. She got it down easily, but within an hour was writhing on the bed begging to die.

· Jackpine Savage
8,473 Posts

My wife's Trulicity has been a real bear to get. I guess it's being prescribed for weight loss a lot, I even read one article that stated some professional athelete's are using it for weight also. Sucks because diabetics need it.

· Premium Member
9,185 Posts

Do you happen to need Ranolazine (Ranexa) or Amlodipine (Norvasc)?

· Indefatigable
23,887 Posts
In December my pharmacist told me there was a shortage of Albuterol and Ipratropium Bromide, two solutions I use in a nebulizer to treat my COPD. He asked how many times of day I took a treatment and would 1/2 and order hold me. Well of course, I have a closet full and some kid(s) needed it more than me, so I agreed.
I received a full order + the other half of the December order in January. I asked if he anticipated shortages of any of my other meds and he said no. Hubby and in-laws take many more meds than I do. If they had been getting shorted, believe me, I would have heard about it. Maybe its regional, maybe it's the pharmacy you are using. There can be HUGE differences. Hubby was prescribed an Albuterol inhaler for bronchitis in November. Wallgreens = $65. Down the road at the mom-and-pop pharmacy I pay $46 for TWO.

· Registered
76 Posts

· Business Owner
3,395 Posts
My wife's Trulicity has been a real bear to get. I guess it's being prescribed for weight loss a lot, I even read one article that stated some professional athelete's are using it for weight also. Sucks because diabetics need it.
Same thing with my Ozempic since last July. The dosage comes in .25, 1 and 2 mg pens. Each pen contains 1 month worth. Mail order, Kroger Pharmacy, Walgreens, CVS, all out. Finally found WalMart had the 2 and had my Dr. rescript for that, even though I take the .25. Nationwide shortage on these drugs diabetics NEED because of people using it as an easy weight loss. Irritating.

· Registered
2,060 Posts
DoctOTE="BrianWorf, post:
Same thing with my Ozempic since last July. The dosage comes in .25, 1 and 2 mg pens. Each pen contains 1 month worth. Mail order, Kroger Pharmacy, Walgreens, CVS, all out. Finally found WalMart had the 2 and had my Dr. rescript for that, even though I take the .25. Nationwide shortage on these drugs diabetics NEED because of people using it as an easy weight loss. Irritating.
My doctor upped my ozempic from .5 to 1 Monday morning at 10:30 am. At noon, the same day, it was ready for pickup aty local Safeway.
It must be a regional thing.

· Registered
631 Posts
Been having the same issue with Trulicity.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts