Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a Petzl Zipka Plus headlamp form a guy on Ebay. I am creating a post because I am very impressed with this little headlamp:

Little is right! It is slightly larger than a golf ball (Including the back) is bright enough for hiking on high setting, reading on low setting. I also added the lens pack for $5 that gives me a red lens cover to prevent my night vision frm being effected. The cover snaps right off. With the lens on, I see ~ 10% reduction in brightness.

It is surprisingly comfortable, though have not tested it in the field. Of course it can be worn on the head, but it will work comfortably on the wrist as well. The retraction of the headband is firm, not weak enough to slide, not strong enough to effect circulation. The headband is a piece of rubber that securely rests against your forehead. Since it is LED, the light will run for > 80hrs on alkaline, and much better on low or strobe. It uses 3 AAA batteries (nice) though you cannot use lithium in it.

Pros: Small, light, bright, comfortable, no band to futz with, solid plastic.
Cons: Somewhat expensive ($30-$40), flood beam, not spot beam, all LED no Xenon or such, thin band may not fit over a baseball cap or helmet, cut the band, and your pretty much SOL.

All in all, I like is so far, it will go in my BOB and be my main camping headlight. I used to hate headlights until I used one around camp to pitch a tent in the dark and do chores in the dark. Better than a flashlight in many ways.

Enjoy..

·
seek, locate, evaluate
833 Posts
I have the petzl E-LITE and it is superb. Super small, super lightweight, comes in its own little carry case, and is waterproof. I wouldn't want to bushwack with it in the middle of the night, but that's why I use a Pelican as an alternate. (Pelican lapd swat).

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I have 4 different Petzl Headlights: Tikka Plus, Tikka XP (awsome light), Zipka, and the E+Lite (weighs less than one ounce!).

I like them all very much for different reasons. The XP is the brightest, the Plus is the longest lasting, and the E+ is the smallest and lightest. A gripe I have with the Zipka vs. the rest is that the light can't be tilted down for close-up work, so it is my least favorite, thou still very nice.

You can't go wrong with a Petzl, IMO.

The Bum

·
Registered
109 Posts
Been using one of these for over a year for my job and around the house and love it! In fact, I had it out today working under the dash of my truck.

The great thing is you can wrap, loop and hang that sucker anyplace. When doing small hand work I strap it around either the top of my hand or my wrist.

Highly recommended!

·
3,649 Posts
i use mine mostly as a maplight in my truck. my truck only has a dome light which works ok for general tasks in the cab, but i wrapped the head band around the passanger visor and now i have a map light that i can use with out shadows and with a red light, and a headlamp at arms reach when i need it. these little light are just so versital(sp?) i need to get e few more.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good light but I've broken two. On one the electronic switch went after heavy use (3 years). On another the plastic case that the cord retracts into broke and then the cord snapped. Not really waterproof, but water resistant. Both mine ended up with water in the case after being dropped in rivers but both dried out OK. Petzl's are small and cheap enough to have 2 of anyway. My advice is have one with the mechanical switch and one with the electronic switch (Zipka +). Wish the e-lite would run off a AAA battery. The strobe mode on the Zipka plus can be seen for miles.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've got a Tikka plus, best head torch I've ever owned. I use it for cycling, the flashing mode really annoys... um.... I mean alerts (heh) motorists to my presence.

Now, the ideal partner to a Petzl is a Fenix flashlight. Those genuinely are the best flashlights I've ever seen. I was a "maglite man" for years, but I'm now thoroughly in the Fenix camp.

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I've got a Tikka plus, best head torch I've ever owned. I use it for cycling, the flashing mode really annoys... um.... I mean alerts (heh) motorists to my presence.

Now, the ideal partner to a Petzl is a Fenix flashlight. Those genuinely are the best flashlights I've ever seen. I was a "maglite man" for years, but I'm now thoroughly in the Fenix camp.
Ya, there's nothing like a regulated output Fenix.

Imagine a Fenix 220 lumen, two hour run-time head light. They can do it, why don't they???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts