Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that has really hit home is pet survival. I have 4 dogs and if any of them needed medical care we wouldnt know how to give it to them.

IS there any place where we can buy catheters fluid pumps etc?

Go Player

·
Registered
173 Posts
In a survival situation, if my pet isn't actively being useful (working class dog...) then its dinner. If its a working class dog and it gets hurt and won't heal on its own then it becomes dinner. I don't have time, nor the resources, to keep things alive that won't actively contribute into getting more resources.

Having said that, Most dogs would respond to the same first aid that humans respond to. If it gets cut, put neosporin in the cut, stick a bandaid on it (may have to shave the area...). Sew it up with a suture kit. If it too serious like where you would need catheters, fluid pumps, fancy equipment, most Drs. could work on a pet when the SHTF, just like most Vets can work on people. We're both mammals and have surpisingly similar bodies...

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
There are some good first aid courses for pets (in the Uk there are anyhow). There are also some brilliant books out there as well.

Most of the things we've had to deal with as dog owners are cut paws, bites etc. , everything else would have been fatal anyhow (such as cancer).

You can get pet supplies on Ebay, such as Vet wrap - which is a self adhesive bandage used on horses and paws.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
We all love our pets. Some look at them from a more practical aspect than others, but they serve a reason of being, or we wouldn't have them.

I think you have to look at pets just as you would another human. Treat their injuries to the best of your ability, and don't try anything that is outside what you feel you can do. Swear I think some folks on here would try open heart surgery after reading a book concerning surgery.

It's a fact of life that everything born, has to one day depart this earth. The good thing about a pet versus a human, if the pain can not be tolerated, an animal can be dispatched if you so desire.

One of my Labs currently has cancer, and the doctor actually gave her the exact same pain medication my father takes. This is just another example of the many medications that can be used by either humans or animals, though dose amounts may be different.

Just like Big Country stated, many treatments are the same. Just don't make your pet an experiment with your newly acquired medical skills. Remember that if it looks like your treatment may not work, save the supplies for human members of your group.

You will have to make the hard calls.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
You might start with this thread. It might give you some ideas on where to start and what you might need. With this realization of your limitations, and the reality of your pets possible needs, you might look into adding capable people to your network. This is where the reality of needing others comes to play. Any of us can go it alone. For a while. Sooner or later, we WILL need. To me, survival is about living, not sacrificing everything that comprises my life. When it gets down to me having to eat my pet, the end is in the headlights anyway. Best I just accept the reality. Or put some effort into laying up some beans and such so the first thing I have to eat when SHTF is my friend.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=87376&highlight=pets

·
seek, locate, evaluate
833 Posts
The saying goes, when treating your dog for medical purposes consider them a pediatric patient. It is basically the same thing just a very furry child.

As for supplies, it is easier and cheaper and more accessable to get your hands on vetinary supplies than medical supplies for humans. Look up farming supplies for livestock on the internet. If you have a good enough relationship with your vet, start asking him for direction.

·
Registered
405 Posts
One of my Labs currently has cancer, and the doctor actually gave her the exact same pain medication my father takes. This is just another example of the many medications that can be used by either humans or animals, though dose amounts may be different.
I completely agree...My neighbor has this huge mastiff that’s about 250lbs and when it got an ear infection the vet didn’t have any antibiotics strong enough for a dog that size so they had to special order some human grade stuff.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why i ask...

My dog got pancreatitis. yesterday. Cost me $3000.00.. today. Thats 3 guns and enough ammo for 3 years if you shop right. 6 deep chest freezers off all the meat I like and seafood too.

Don't get me wrong, I like vets but sometimes you just know that even if you AREN'T getting ripped off You could have done something to save money.

My wife isn't the smartest but she used to withdraw plasma and give saline at those places, plasma places.

The vet 'techs' aren't particularly considered 'skilled' labor. I'm not belittling them in any way. they do a great job but its all trainable stuff.

Here's the cure for pancreatitis. Once he's been diagnosed for $300.00 at the local vet, take him to the 'ICU'(I love it when they use human speak to make the experience more meaningful...:mad:)

give him IV fluids, shots of anti nausea, anti pain, and sleepytime meds.

Then its days of watch and wait. Pancreatitis usually takes about 48 hours to start. If you get him in within the NEXT 48 hours his chances of survival are quite high. We did. Thank you Jesus! With some careful monitoring and low fat foods he will be just fine. Please pray for him though. He could certainly use it. After this its just wait and let mother nature take its course. Iv fluids and time.

But its all at a ridiculous price. I'd pay it every time. But I have 4 dogs. If not pancreatitis, then something. At some point I gotta save some money.

If my wife can learn phlebotomy and these vet techs can learn to administer a catheter, I can.

Survivalism = foresight= prepping = can do attitude.

It does NOT equal eating your pets. Whoever said that needs to prep harder. If it ever gets that bad release the dog and leave the dog in God's hands.:D::thumb:

Your pet is God allowing you a chance to be a good steward.

Go Player

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
As much as I adore my cat, if the world collapses and I need to evac to become a rural insurgent, unless I can drop him off with somebody I know won't ever evac, I'd probably shoot him so that he doesn't suffer and starve to death, or wind up tortured to death by some freak looter or punk kids that come along down the road.

If the emergency doesn't entail leaving, then I'll be giving my cat some of my water and some of my canned goods (I don't have a stockpile of dedicated cat foot, but he can have some of my food).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts