Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to build my bol an have started scouting land and was wonder what would be the most beneficial have a small bunker for me and my family or go with a multi family retreat with a total of 4-5 families all of which I am extremely close to I am just wanting to prep properly

·
Psalm 23:4
2,891 Posts
I am looking to build my bol an have started scouting land and was wonder what would be the most beneficial have a small bunker for me and my family or go with a multi family retreat with a total of 4-5 families all of which I am extremely close to I am just wanting to prep properly
Both together would be ideal. The more friends and family you have the better so long as they pull their weight. Strength in numbers if there aint internal conflict. But you have to take care of your family first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are 3 families right now including mine that are interested in sticking together we all our military background and all experienced in different fields we have medical a firearms instructor nbc instructor and a great navigation person

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,439 Posts
If you would have the ability to raise crops and animals, having extra hands would be of benefit. However, if you'll be living off stored foods mostly without ample resources, extra mouths to feed need to be considered. I'd look at the resource situation before trying to decide on the number of people.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I would just do personal just because of the cost of a multi family.

With enough acreage they could add their own trailer or something else on my land they could.

Until they are chipping in I am only planning for myself.

·
Rational Being
1,976 Posts
I agree with the others who said to look at resources available first. On decent soil, you need at least 2 acres of arable land to feed a family of four and some small livestock. If you're talking four times that, you'll probably need close to 8 acres. And that's not counting medium/large livestock like sheep, cattle or horses. Growing your own food and your livestock food takes a lot of space and a lot of effort.

We are currently sitting on about 7 acres of arable land, with the rest as woodlot/pond. We'll slowly build it up until we feel like we have met our self-sufficient goal. Then we may or may not prepare for more mouths to feed. We love love love the idea of an intentional community, but I honestly don't think our land could support more than two families. If you live in an area with sparse vegetation or poor soil quality, you will need more land.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
As mention above its all based on your resources. That being said your survival and your family's will be greatly enhanced by being a member of a "tribe"/village. You simply can't do everything by yourself and down the road your children will need mates(marriage).

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,102 Posts
I believe a good approach is to buy enough land to feed 20 people. Fence a central area of 2-3 ac and build your storage buildings, water system, power, and plant your orchard and garden there.

The owner builds his house on one corner of this area and extends the water and septic to support 4-5 RVs or camp trailers.

As you add folks to your group you can have newbies living in the camp trailers.

Folks who work out well and want to commit to the group build more permanent homes at the corners. Ultimately you have a Catholic Mission style homestead with all the homes and buildings opening into the central courtyard.

·
UK Prep @ Sharp Survival
754 Posts
would prefer to prep as part of a group myself ... means more skills that would be brought to the table ... numbers advantage in any conflict situation ... more people for helping with physical tasks and better for security and patrolling

also more people also mean more social options ... being stuck with the same 4/5 people in a family would get boring and frustrating ... more people would allow for better interactions ...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I believe a good approach is to buy enough land to feed 20 people. Fence a central area of 2-3 ac and build your storage buildings, water system, power, and plant your orchard and garden there.

The owner builds his house on one corner of this area and extends the water and septic to support 4-5 RVs or camp trailers.

As you add folks to your group you can have newbies living in the camp trailers.

Folks who work out well and want to commit to the group build more permanent homes at the corners. Ultimately you have a Catholic Mission style homestead with all the homes and buildings opening into the central courtyard.
I've been a "soloist" for a long time and it's been a great adventure. Over the past few years I've considered introducing friends/family types to prepping world with the thought that they might consider "joining in" and "homestead" on some wilderness forest acreage we acquired some years ago (thinking BOL or community "vacation retreat" sort of like "Hick" describes above.

Bottom line; MOST folks, at least with whom I am acquainted, are just not into "wilderness" life for more than a weekend of hiking on trails on the Presidentials that are nearly as crowded as a mall during the Nov/Dec holiday shopping season.

My perpective: Go it alone until you meet folks willing to 1. pull their own weight with time, effort and equal enthusiasm and 2. have the capital or barter capacity to invest equally.

Good luck with your group(s)!

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts
Security, labor and talents are spread out, multi-family is best but only if they all get along. One malcontent can make live not worth living when you all have to live together in close proximity.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
If you are implying that your family also invest in the property, then I would think twice and then think again. Family or not, multiple people owning property, especially "recreational" property is a recipe for discord. Eventually somebody is going to want a boat, or a Harley and want to sell the land to buy a toy. Or they are going to get laid off and need the money.

Adjoining land with separate plots and separate ownership - now that would be okay.

That aside, if you are owning the land yourself and just prepping for family, then that is okay. Just be really careful about who in your family you tell - it should be people who would agree with the plan. Otherwise wait until the SHTF and then tell them - at that point, where they are actually bugging out, then they have much less chance to tell others of your plans and the likelihood that you will have uninvited guests decreases dramatically.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Unfortunately for me, going it alone is my stance because of some extenuating circumstances. However, you obvioiusly have different circumstances and here is my list of things you should consider:

1) With each additional member, you run the risk of someone blabbing about your BOL, food stores, security measures, etc. Each additional member is another member is someone that will consume resources such as food, water, medicine, bedding, heat, attention. However, each additional member may provide skills, labor, knowledge, talents, and friendship to offset the consumption. What number is right? There is no magic number, but remember the more folks you have, the more drama that seems to follow.

2) If you decide to go with members outside of your immediate family, I would definitely write a charter, define rules, roles, responsibilities, etc. The "handshake and smile" method could leave you high and dry if the group goes bust.

3) Regardless of which group of folks you choose to go with I still think every homestead or BOL should at a minimum have the following

a) Vegetable garden
b) Fruit orchard
c) Year-round water source (creek, stream, pond, well, lake)
d) Chickens, rabbits, bees and other livestock
e) Weapons and ammo and every member should be trained in their use
f) Hand tools for gardening, equipment repair, cutting trees, etc.
g) Medical supplies including OTC and antibiotics, first aid kits, etc.
h) Long-term food storage - A goal would be 1 year for every member
i) Bunker for storms, nuclear events, panic, etc
j) Seed bank
k) Generator
l) Security - multiple layers, dogs, gates, fences, lights, alarms, detection devices, surveillance eqiupment
m) Wood heating - Be sure that you have some way to heat with wood when all else fails
n) Survival library - Books on cooking, medicine, first-aid, gardening, food storage, canning, veteranarian information, electricity and electrical engineering, food preservation,
o) Common knowledge of the area - Maps, phone book, local utilities, water sources, etc.
p) Off-the-grid electricity production (solar, wind, gasifiers, etc)

These are by no means in any certain order, but as they came to me. It's a lot of work. There is a lot to do and consider. It's not something you decide to and are ready tomorrow. However, there is no time like the present to start with a plan (write it down) and start working the plan.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a family cabin that could easily fit 3 families in it. which I my brother and my parents could easily live there for a extended period of time. plus the surrounding area is already for foraging and hunting and has a huge lake within 150 to 200 yards for fishing and water.

its just getting there intact that's the thing having 3 ways to get to the cabin from 3 different locations is a good way to start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks I have decide that my best bet is to go with the family retreat but build for my family first I'd add others later I plan to have a 30 acre plot well hidden

1 - 20 of 20 Posts