Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
So sorry to hear about the loss. I was homeless and destitute for 3 years after my divorce and some bad decetions I made.I understand the shtf .I had to lie about my situation to find work only to get robbed while at work as soon as I did get a place to live and find myself right back there.I pray its easier on you.

·
Survive... for what?
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Its something like this situation that really puts things in perspective for you. You kind of see how frivolous most of the things we buy are. I would of prepped for this if I made more money but I dont :xeye:

Oh well, I will try selling some nonessentials to buy me some time.

Cherish what you have - tomarrow it might be gone!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I"m so sorry to hear that. I got laid off last summer; fortunately house and car are paid for. If it's a foregone conclusion you will lose the house, you might be better off just walking -- try to find somebody who can advise you on this. But there's no point in continuing to pour money into it if you're going to lose it anyway. Put it on the market now, and try to get an apartment while your credit is still good.
My family lost our house when I was in high school. It was hard, but my parents made it through and if nothing else, it teaches you compassion.

·
100% Full Battle Rattle
550 Posts
I ran out of luck recently too. I tried to sell off all of my stuff that was of value including my ghillie suit and night vision, but noone bought anything. So back to living with my parents for the first time since I was 15.

Good luck comrade!

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Its something like this situation that really puts things in perspective for you. You kind of see how frivolous most of the things we buy are. I would of prepped for this if I made more money but I dont :xeye:

Oh well, I will try selling some nonessentials to buy me some time.

Cherish what you have - tomarrow it might be gone!

Call your mortgage company. They are running way behind on foreclosures. The last thing the bank wants is to "own" your home. See if you can qualify for HAP program. They will know what it is. Talk with a supervisor in collections if you have no luck with who you are talking.

If they can't put you in that program, see if the bank itself has a program they can place you in. Many times they do. Like I said the last thing they want is to own your home.

Last resort is a short sale. If your home would go for less than you owe, you can get it sold and the bank will usually agree if the price obtained is reasonable for the comparables in your neighborhood.

There are a few other things that can be done if you want to PM me. I'm really sorry, and though I know it doesn't help there are many more in the same boat than the average Joe realizes. Good luck to you and your family.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You may get a better price for those nonessentials by posting them here or on eBay. I've noticed on eBay that sometimes the price is low, but people make a few extra bucks on shipping and handling.

I wish you the best of luck, from the heart. Try to think outside the box, look for programs, refinance, take in roommates to help with housing costs, etc. Sure wish there was more I could do, but I do agree that just maybe you will come through this in an even better position such as getting your dream job. Desperation leads us to look for things we formerly thought we beyond our reach and sometimes, just sometimes, they fall right into our hands.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Been there, done that. Believe me, I know where you're at. I was unemployed for nearly two years some years back.

Network, network, network. Pester every friend you have for job info. If possible, enroll in a community college or university and develop new skills and meet new people. It helps on many levels.

I went back to school and got an associate's degree in computer science. It helped me get another job. That job enable me to earn a master's degree at a local university. I was in my 50's when I finished. That helped me get a better job.

Don't give up. Update your resume now, highlight every skill you can think of. Keep contacting potential employers and everyone you can think of. Be stubborn, be a pest, and don't give up.

Keep developing new skills whenever possible.

Good luck!

·
Registered
777 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your situation!! My heart goes out to you. We went through a similar situation when my husband got hurt working in the coal mines..it was a nightmare but with faith, prayer, help from family and friends we made it through most of the hard stuff.
Talk to your creditors before things get of hand, many will work with you...also check with your local USDA office...they have programs to assist with mortage loans,etc.
My prayers go out to you!

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Rachel is right about USDA. Check them out. Also, fill out a job application with them while you are there. I did, and it led to a job that I worked for six years. They need folks with all kinds of backgrounds and skills.

Check out http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/a9opm.aspx for goobermint jobs. It is surprising what they just might have open, especially if you are willing to relocate.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.