Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
personal hygiene
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, in a survival situation this topic is one that is sometimes overlooked. It is vital that a person must do his/her best in this regards. Unless you are related to a skunk than you must give this some thought. Smelling nice will make you more attractive to others in your group especially members of the opposite sex. So men if you have a testosterone urge than smelling good will increase your chances. There are also great health advantages to having good hygiene. Let us start at the top, the head. Having clean combed hair will help you by feeling more clean and to prevent any nasty little critters living off of the land though not always. Short hair would be the best and easiest to maintain. Now your body. There are two areas on the body that must be washed at all times to prevent any rashes or rot. This would be the armpits and the groin. So unless you want to end up with a serious case of 'crotch rot' than you must keep these areas clean and dry. Having a change of underwear and undershirt will help prevent this. These areas are subject to bacterial growth that will cause rashes, sores and body lice. Another area that must be kept clean are the feet. Ensure that the feet are well looked after . They are important for transportation. Keeping an extra pair of socks will help. Change them often when the feet become wet or daily just like your undergarments. Keeping a small amount of foot powder will help this. Ensure that your kit will include a small amount of soap to clean yourself and your clothing. Washing your clothing in a small stream with sand will work. Ensure that the clothing is exposed to the air and sunlight to kill any bacteria present. Yes, the sun light will kill most bacteria along with cold temperatures. Exposing to the air will dry along with adding freshness. Your body can be washed in the same matter. Women along with men must practice good hygiene. Having good clean teeth will also benefit. Having a clean mouth will prevent any infection or bacteria which can spread into the stomach . If no toothbrush is present try rubbing a small green twig or strawberries on teeth, Shaving is not a health priority but clean shaving will help using a gas mask or not having ice crystals in winter on the face. Do not try to shave with a knife by yourself unless you want to resemble a cheese grater. So in a survival situation having good hygiene will benefit all. So if you @#%$ your pants when your plane crashes, it is a good idea to do something about it.

I wrote this article several years ago on another forum . I moved it over.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
When we go on week long camping trips, we bath in the Mississippi river. As you might know, that water is very muddy, but you still feel very refreshed after a dip. I follow up with a wipedown with baby wipes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I always carry a hygiene bag with a few items consistently whether hunting or hiking. Baby wipes ,Purell antibacterial soap and a little roll of TP. No question a little wipe down will make you feel human again.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
To quote my hippie ex-girlfriend: What's so wrong with smelling human?

I've section hiked stretches of the AT and can tell you, you will stink after 2 days. You might take small measures against the stink, but you will wind up stinking just the same.

Some females like the stink, so you might still get some action, even if you smell rancid.

Just my 2 centimes.

HippieSurvivalist

·
Registered
784 Posts

I've section hiked stretches of the AT and can tell you, you will stink after 2 days. You might take small measures against the stink, but you will wind up stinking just the same.

Some females like the stink, so you might still get some action, even if you smell rancid.

Just my 2 centimes.

HippieSurvivalist
well u can have them women

·
Registered
5,588 Posts

Just my 2 centimes.

HippieSurvivalist

Do I really need to comment on this post?

I would like to add, athletes foot is a fungus. There is good bacteria on the feet between the toes. I try not to wash between the toes. If the good bacteria is gone fungus takes over. If you have itchy fungus feet alcohol just makes it worse. That goes for jock itch too. EEEEEEEEowwww! when that spray hits the package.:eek:

·
Antique Nurse
644 Posts
Athletes foot - impetego - staph infections.... All things that are likely to happen to unwashed skin. (yeah, I used to work in an ER - I have seen it!)

Uhmmm... At LEAST some wet wipes for me, thank you!

Reactions: Brimasmom

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
all excellent reasons to find water with sand in them instead of mud. sand is great for washing sans soap, and it feels good too. Just watch it on the tender bits

·
Antique Nurse
644 Posts
Yep! Sand is good - with or without soap... Sunshower is great!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
hygiene

honestly, the only hygiene kit in my bob is a small bottle of dr. bronner's castile soap. it works great and i've successfully used it on body, hair, clothes, and dishes. works for shaving if you're so inclined, but as a weight / space nazi i don't include a razor in my pack. castile soap is cheap too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Right out of FM 21-76 (formatted for your viewing pleasure):

Personal Hygiene
In any situation, cleanliness is an important factor in preventing infection
and disease. It becomes even more important in a survival situation.
Poor hygiene can reduce your chances of survival.
A daily shower with hot water and soap is ideal, but you can stay clean
without this luxury. Use a cloth and soapy water to wash yourself. Pay
special attention to the feet, armpits, crotch, hands, and hair as these
are prime areas for infestation and infection. If water is scarce, take an
“air” bath. Remove as much of your clothing as practical and expose
your body to the sun and air for at least 1 hour. Be careful not to
sunburn.

If you don’t have soap, use ashes or sand, or make soap from animal fat
and wood ashes, if your situation allows.

To make soap:
  1. Extract grease from animal fat by cutting the fat into small pieces
    and cooking them in a pot.
  2. Add enough water to the pot to keep the fat from sticking as it
    cooks.
  3. Cook the fat slowly, stirring frequently.
  4. After the fat is rendered, pour the grease into a container to harden.
  5. Place ashes in a container with a spout near the bottom.
  6. Pour water over the ashes and collect the liquid that drips out of
    the spout in a separate container. This liquid is the potash or lye.
  7. Another way to get the lye is to pour the slurry (the mixture of
    ashes and water) through a straining cloth.
  8. In a cooking pot, mix two parts grease to one part potash.
  9. Place this mixture over a fire and boil it until it thickens.
  10. After the mixture—the soap—cools, you can use it in the semiliquid
    state directly from the pot. You can also pour it into a pan, allow it to
    harden, and cut it into bars for later use.

Keep Your Hands Clean
Germs on your hands can infect food and wounds. Wash your hands
after handling any material that is likely to carry germs, after visiting the
latrine, after caring for the sick, and before handling any food, food
utensils, or drinking water. Keep your fingernails closely trimmed and
clean, and keep your fingers out of your mouth.

Keep Your Hair Clean

Your hair can become a haven for bacteria or fleas, lice, and other parasites.
Keeping your hair clean, combed, and trimmed helps you avoid
this danger.

Keep Your Clothing Clean

Keep your clothing and bedding as clean as possible to reduce the
chance of skin infection as well as to decrease the danger of parasitic
infestation. Clean your outer clothing whenever it becomes soiled. Wear
clean underclothing and socks each day. If water is scarce, “air” clean
your clothing by shaking, airing, and sunning it for 2 hours. If you are
using a sleeping bag, turn it inside out after each use, fluff it, and air it.

Keep Your Teeth Clean
Thoroughly clean your mouth and teeth with a toothbrush at least once
each day. If you don’t have a toothbrush, make a chewing stick. Find a
twig about 20 centimeters long and 1 centimeter wide. Chew one end of
the stick to separate the fibers. Now brush your teeth thoroughly. Another
way is to wrap a clean strip of cloth around your fingers and rub
your teeth with it to wipe away food particles. You can also brush your
teeth with small amounts of sand, baking soda, salt, or soap. Then rinse
your mouth with water, salt water, or willow bark tea. Also, flossing your
teeth with string or fiber helps oral hygiene.
If you have cavities, you can make temporary fillings by placing candle
wax, tobacco, aspirin, hot pepper, tooth paste or powder, or portions of
a ginger root into the cavity. Make sure you clean the cavity by rinsing
or picking the particles out of the cavity before placing a filling in the
cavity.

Take Care of Your Feet
To prevent serious foot problems, break in your shoes before wearing
them on any mission. Wash and massage your feet daily. Trim your toenails
straight across. Wear an insole and the proper size of dry socks.
Powder and check your feet daily for blisters.
If you get a small blister, do not open it. An intact blister is safe from
infection. Apply a padding material around the blister to relieve pressure
and reduce friction. If the blister bursts, treat it as an open wound.
Clean and dress it daily and pad around it. Leave large blisters intact. To
avoid having the blister burst or tear under pressure and cause a painful
and open sore, do the following:
  1. Obtain a sewing-type needle and a clean or sterilized thread.
  2. Run the needle and thread through the blister after cleaning the
    blister.
  3. Detach the needle and leave both ends of the thread hanging out of
    the blister. The thread will absorb the liquid inside. This reduces the
    size of the hole and ensures that the hole does not close up.
  4. Pad around the blister.
(NOTE: I've tried this twice, both times on heel blisters. Used Iodine solution to clean the thread and a rubbing alcohol wipe to clean the needle)

Get Sufficient Rest
You need a certain amount of rest to keep going. Plan for regular
rest periods of at least 10 minutes per hour during your daily activities.
Learn to make yourself comfortable under less than ideal conditions. A
change from mental to physical activity or vice versa can be refreshing
when time or situation does not permit total relaxation.

Keep Camp Site Clean
Do not soil the ground in the camp site area with urine or feces. Use
latrines, if available. When latrines are not available, dig “cat holes” and
cover the waste. Collect drinking water upstream from the camp site.
Purify all water.

P.S. Didn't see a mention of Hoo Ahhs, they're like giant baby wipes. I bought a pack a few weeks ago and they work just like big baby-wipes, which is good if you're tall like me and go through a dozen baby wipes just cleaning off dusty legs. I also like how they donate to USO care-packages when you purchase a pack.

·
SURVIVOR
1,089 Posts
i carry a small toothbrush thats just the head of your average electric toothbrush. i didn't think much about soap! a small hotel soap bar would be easy and light to pack in. i think i'm gonna rap mine in aluminum foil so its easier to store after the package is off. i'm lookin up plants that could help cure bacteria and fungus. i know some mosses have a high iodine content, but not sure how or if it would help treat jock itch,ring worm,althletes foot...they r all the same type of fungus. so if you get one, your prone to gettin the other

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
a small hotel soap bar would be easy and light to pack in. i think i'm gonna rap mine in aluminum foil so its easier to store after the package is off.
A zip-lock bag works great, don't have to worry about putting the soap away wet and making a mess.:)
The small bars of soap from hotels are great, I've used them on extended tramps, washed myself, cleaned my hair and had a rough shave with it, and they don't weigh much.
In my bag I also carry a small tube of anti-fungo cream to treat athletes foot and so on.
No matter how clean you are, you can still get infected, so I also carry Iodine to treat blisters and cuts and scratches.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
personal hygiene
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, in a survival situation this topic is one that is sometimes overlooked. It is vital that a person must do his/her best in this regards. Unless you are related to a skunk than you must give this some thought. Smelling nice will make you more attractive to others in your group especially members of the opposite sex. So men if you have a testosterone urge than smelling good will increase your chances. There are also great health advantages to having good hygiene. Let us start at the top, the head. Having clean combed hair will help you by feeling more clean and to prevent any nasty little critters living off of the land though not always. Short hair would be the best and easiest to maintain. Now your body. There are two areas on the body that must be washed at all times to prevent any rashes or rot. This would be the armpits and the groin. So unless you want to end up with a serious case of 'crotch rot' than you must keep these areas clean and dry. Having a change of underwear and undershirt will help prevent this. These areas are subject to bacterial growth that will cause rashes, sores and body lice. Another area that must be kept clean are the feet. Ensure that the feet are well looked after . They are important for transportation. Keeping an extra pair of socks will help. Change them often when the feet become wet or daily just like your undergarments. Keeping a small amount of foot powder will help this. Ensure that your kit will include a small amount of soap to clean yourself and your clothing. Washing your clothing in a small stream with sand will work. Ensure that the clothing is exposed to the air and sunlight to kill any bacteria present. Yes, the sun light will kill most bacteria along with cold temperatures. Exposing to the air will dry along with adding freshness. Your body can be washed in the same matter. Women along with men must practice good hygiene. Having good clean teeth will also benefit. Having a clean mouth will prevent any infection or bacteria which can spread into the stomach . If no toothbrush is present try rubbing a small green twig or strawberries on teeth, Shaving is not a health priority but clean shaving will help using a gas mask or not having ice crystals in winter on the face. Do not try to shave with a knife by yourself unless you want to resemble a cheese grater. So in a survival situation having good hygiene will benefit all. So if you @#%$ your pants when your plane crashes, it is a good idea to do something about it.

I wrote this article several years ago on another forum . I moved it over.
Well done. This topic is often overlooked. I have seen disregard for this during my military days time and time again.
Basic food consumpion/preparation in the field is another area that needs good field hygiene practices.
Waste disposal (rubbish and human waste) is another one. If you bury it, not near your water source. Don't leave rubbish on the ground, bury it, burn it or take it with you. Don't advertise who you are or what you've got.
Cuts, abrasions, scratches and insect bites require first aid treatment quickly as these can become infected, fester and in extreme cases blood poisoning.
It's not a matter of being a " sook ". I've seen medivacs if these are left untreated.
If you are in a hostile enviroment, try to use hygiene items that are not scented or perfumed. Salt or sodium bicarb are good for dental hygiene.
"Footrot" I posted a natural hygiene tip for this one in the ladies forum, perhaps the wrong forum, but it does work.

·
SURVIVOR
1,089 Posts
A zip-lock bag works great, don't have to worry about putting the soap away wet and making a mess.:)
The small bars of soap from hotels are great, I've used them on extended tramps, washed myself, cleaned my hair and had a rough shave with it, and they don't weigh much.
In my bag I also carry a small tube of anti-fungo cream to treat athletes foot and so on.
No matter how clean you are, you can still get infected, so I also carry Iodine to treat blisters and cuts and scratches.
i'm using tin foil cuz it a good way to store it and i can also use it as a signal mirror. i would let it kinda dry out so its not all lathery, although if i can get a small zip bag that fits it very well i'll probly switch to that at the time

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
For your FAK, have used womens sanitary napkins for emergency field dressings, works very well.

Reactions: Ritz Henson
1 - 20 of 32 Posts