Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading some of the comments here about the one post about the bunker found in the guy back yard..i can see that a lot of the people have diff ideas about how the ideas about dealing with the city and county people when comes to building your shelter in the city ..

when haveing the permits for the shelters you can not have a problem with the people around you..

part of the problem with the city there was that he was around a city gas line and they where worryed that he might have hit the a gas or electric line when digging around under the house..

that why when getting the permits they will allow you dig around in the dirt and not have a problem with the locals saying anything ..

·
I drink your milkshake!
1,855 Posts
So it really isn't your land then. Even though it's paid for, you still have to get a permit to do anything with it right?

I see a lot of people, not necessarily you hank, but others, that complain incessantly about gov't intrusion into our lives but when it comes to neighbors and what they want to do with their land, it's perfectly acceptable for the gov't to tell them, and by extension, you, what they can and cannot do with it.

That, in my mind, is a huge disconnect.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
There's a wee bit more to it than that.

When you build, and follow the building code, you are building safely. If you look at the number of buildings that fall down in Iran or Turkey or China during an earthquake, and then look at how many fall down here, the difference is that we have a better building code and buildings are required to meet certain standards.

Same thing with the electrical code. Electrical wiring, done wrong, can cause a fire, and the electrical code is designed to help keep that from happening.

Building inspectors are trained to know what is safe and what is not. They don't care what you do with the structure as long as you are building a safe structure.

·
Registered
914 Posts

When you build, and follow the building code, you are building safely. If you look at the number of buildings that fall down in Iran or Turkey or China during an earthquake, and then look at how many fall down here, the difference is that we have a better building code and buildings are required to meet certain standards.

Same thing with the electrical code. Electrical wiring, done wrong, can cause a fire, and the electrical code is designed to help keep that from happening.

Building inspectors are trained to know what is safe and what is not. They don't care what you do with the structure as long as you are building a safe structure.
Why is it your business what I build on my land? What does it matter if it falls over and kills me?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here where is comes back to a little common sense when it comes to dealing with the local county goverments when building on the land ..

sometimes just better play the game and have the permits to allow you to dig and build to your little heart desires ..but also it about makeing sure you play the game with the county when it comes to getting the money for the permits .. part of the problem in the city digging around in one person backyard area is you do not know where gas line and cable lines and other lines are in the ground with the permits you have a knowage of what is laying in the under the sub surface of the area your digging in ..

when i put my tank home into the ground i had about three diff phone calls from the some of the diff people who worked in the permits office asking me to take a tour of the home when i can get a chance..

next weekend iam going to be in Az for the a day and i going to set up for the three people who want to see the place iam going to give them a tour of the house and how it set up ..friday night iam going to over and sat morning they are going to come and take the tour ..for if it better to keep them on a semi working area with them about thing .so when i walk into the office next time i can ask for something and get it without a lot of question..

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I'm currently building my own house and other projects around my house.

To make sure you don't have problems with niebors then the permit is the way to go.

The power and gas lines are a bit of a worry but non are more than 3' underground unless there is a right of way or a no building zone.

Building under your house there isn't a problem with any utilities but rather undermining the foundation and integrity of the house.

Done properly there isn't a problem.

One point here I need to make is that the permit requires a minimum standard rather than the best possible way of building. Most contractors follow the minimum standards to cut costs. A private individual usually follows the best practices as the cost is negligable compared to the total costs.

My hose is way over engineered for our area. 2x6 and 2x8 walls instead of 2x4s. Sprayed foam insulation on end walls and double insulated living areas. Double insulated, for sound, fire wall between living areas. There's more hurricane straps than I care to count. Steel roofing. 3' entry doors, steel. OSB backed 5/8" fire code drywall between the garage and living areas etc...

These "upgrades" cost less than $10,000 but will ad the the overall value of the house and efficiency and will be recouped quickly. The sweat equity I put in doing it myself will save me $200k+ on the house.

For this guy a simple engineers inspection should clear the air. The niebors need to mind thier own f'n business. If the guy killed himself then that's his business. Though he needed to exhibit a bit more OPSEC.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
here where is comes back to a little common sense when it comes to dealing with the local county goverments when building on the land ..

sometimes just better play the game and have the permits to allow you to dig and build to your little heart desires ..but also it about makeing sure you play the game with the county when it comes to getting the money for the permits .. part of the problem in the city digging around in one person backyard area is you do not know where gas line and cable lines and other lines are in the ground with the permits you have a knowage of what is laying in the under the sub surface of the area your digging in ..

when i put my tank home into the ground i had about three diff phone calls from the some of the diff people who worked in the permits office asking me to take a tour of the home when i can get a chance..

next weekend iam going to be in Az for the a day and i going to set up for the three people who want to see the place iam going to give them a tour of the house and how it set up ..friday night iam going to over and sat morning they are going to come and take the tour ..for if it better to keep them on a semi working area with them about thing .so when i walk into the office next time i can ask for something and get it without a lot of question..
Actually the permits tell you nothing of the location of utilties.

In VA we have Ms. Utility to call and come out within 72 hours to mark everything. You don't even need a permit to do this as a simple post or fence doesn't require a permit to put up.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually the permits tell you nothing of the location of utilties.

In VA we have Ms. Utility to call and come out within 72 hours to mark everything. You don't even need a permit to do this as a simple post or fence doesn't require a permit to put up.

we have something like that also ..but it can take up to two weeks before they can get to the land sometimes..

·
Doc
144 Posts
after reading some of the comments here about the one post about the bunker found in the guy back yard..i can see that a lot of the people have diff ideas about how the ideas about dealing with the city and county people when comes to building your shelter in the city ..

when haveing the permits for the shelters you can not have a problem with the people around you..

part of the problem with the city there was that he was around a city gas line and they where worryed that he might have hit the a gas or electric line when digging around under the house..

that why when getting the permits they will allow you dig around in the dirt and not have a problem with the locals saying anything ..
You shouldnt need a permit as long as it doesnt change your above ground area. Just call your utilities up and have them come over to mark your land.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
Why is it your business what I build on my land? What does it matter if it falls over and kills me?
Because the state and county will have to pay rescue workers to try to save your life and pull your crushed carcass out of the rubble, police to investigate to make sure it was your own fault and nothing worse, and construction workers to clean up your mess. When what you're doing may wind up costing taxpayers money, THEN it becomes a matter of public interest what you do...

·
old hand
7,441 Posts
Because the state and county will have to pay rescue workers to try to save your life and pull your crushed carcass out of the rubble, police to investigate to make sure it was your own fault and nothing worse, and construction workers to clean up your mess. When what you're doing may wind up costing taxpayers money, THEN it becomes a matter of public interest what you do...
That is EXACTLY what I was going to respond ... brilliant minds think alike!

It's a bunch of simple things really.
ex. basement handrails must die into the wall instead of having the end butted off.
... too expensive? ... dumb idea? ... don't like the way it looks?
Tell that to the fireman who is saving your kids' lives and gets his hose caught down there.

The main reason for the permit is so the property can be taxed correctly.
... build your cabin on skids, no permit needed.

·
Registered
701 Posts

This is fine in an incorporated city. If people want to stay in the city and come under that scrutiny so be it. But some don't want this kind of interference. People were building long before city boards discovered they could make a buck requiring permits for any and everything.

I for one, do not want any city board member or inspector for that matter, requiring anything from me on my land. If I want to build a shed, a bunker, or anything else, I have should have a right to. So long as I do not endanger anyone else in its construction. Contrary to what they would have you believe, some people have enough sense to build a structure that is solid without having to ask for permission and pay unnecessary fees.

Honestly, I am not sure what value anyone sees in buying a home in the city. I do not see what is service could be worth the never ending codes, requirements, taxes, easements, and other scams designed to take your land, privilege, and freedoms away (all on the alter of what? Convenience?) I fail to see what is so convenient.

·
Banned
633 Posts
It matters if you NAIL a GAS line or an ELCECTRIC line and i dont have gas, or pwer for the next week because YOU didnt want a permit.

If you dont want them to know its a shelter, call it a root cellar then whatever.

you may own the land, but that doesnt mean there isnt some city works buried under it.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
That's why it's best to get out of town in an area where you don't have to get a permit for every tiny thing. In the cities, I can understand a lot of it though. If it falls over, it might kill someone else. If it catches fire, it can start other houses on fire, etc.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,637 Posts
That is EXACTLY what I was going to respond ... brilliant minds think alike!

It's a bunch of simple things really.
ex. basement handrails must die into the wall instead of having the end butted off.
... too expensive? ... dumb idea? ... don't like the way it looks?
Tell that to the fireman who is saving your kids' lives and gets his hose caught down there.

The main reason for the permit is so the property can be taxed correctly.
... build your cabin on skids, no permit needed.
This isn't true. If you work as a first responce, you don't get paid. Fire men don't get paid. (some do in larger cities I guess)

We do it because its the right thing to do. Personally I would rather pull a free dead man from a mistake he made, then a living sheep from a Chinese import, which is a mistake our Government made. Its all one in the same. The fireman, police man, garbage man, do their jobs because its the right thing to do. To promote the Idea of America. Sure we could live safer, we could ban motor cycles, sky diving, cigarettes, and Muslims, but that isn't freedom. Freedom is the right to make dumb choices, then suffer the consequences.

Besides, do I get my money back from the taxes used to pay people to save me, when I don't get hurt? No.

If you look at this from the anti gun, anti anything dangerous, anti liberty stand point, then yes permits are a great idea.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,637 Posts
I get that a lot, its because someone other then you can go into or near the structure, you may argue that you will be the only person to go near it but the simple truth is, the government does not believe you.
If someone is in my "root cellar", it falling over on them, is the least of my or their worries. :D:

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
This is what they call 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions,' and is the regulator's justification for constant intrusion into our lives.

Want to go rock climbing? Nope, can't, you might fall and someone might have to pay for your broken leg.

Want to go hunting? Nope, can't, you might shoot someone or get shot, ditto.

Want to play softball? Nope, sorry, you might get beaned, you should play wiffle ball instead.

Want to ride your bike? Better wear a helmet or I'll fine you.

Your kids caught climbing trees? Call child protective services for endangerment.

Want to gamble? Nope, you might become an addict or lose your life savings.

Freedoms are curtailed a little bit at a time, exactly because of the 'my taxes pay for it' argument. Once we have government health care, then I even have the right to say, 'nope, you can't eat that pizza or drink that beer, I might have to pay for your high cholestoral or liver damage through my taxes.' Excessive regulations allow people to become the 'nannys' in nanny-state.

I'd much rather have to write someone a check if my house falls on me and someone has to rescue me; some fire departments already do this. There is no need to regulate every little thing, as that is a slippery slope that is hard to pull back from. Today, because of the extent of our civil and criminal systems, everyone can be fined or jailed for just about any reason the government wants.

There was a case in the northwest where a man was put in jail due to not having the right sticker on a box of flowers he sold. When that didn't hold up in court and they threw it out, the police re-arrested him for 'leaving hazarodous materials unattended'...because he was in jail on the other bogus charge.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
out in the county where iam at i had a permit to build my home and install electric lines and stewage lines to the countys regulations ..they passed without a problem for i followed the so called guide line for them ..i did do something with a extra stewage line and when asked what that was for i told the guy and he went really show me how it works ..i showed him on the blueprints of the system and he goes i got to put that into my cabin stewage line ..that all he said ..he did not say you can not have that or it illegal or anything else ..he ask to borrow the blueprints for a couple of mins and he traced out the extra spetic line system set up and had it back to me and said thank you. basic hey that a good idea i need to add that set up for use in my hunting cabin ..i have the feeling he a prepper also

but in getting the permits i did not have a lot of problems with the county ..it was more with the hoa down the road then anything else .so when i go and ask them for them another permit to build iam not going to have problems with the countys people over getting the permits from them ..

i can see why the city could get a little worry about the guy building under his home for he could have desableizer the foundation of the home and bought it down on him or he could hit a gas line and cause a problem that way ..

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.