Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In cleaning my grandmother's house, I found this Fred Flintstone permanent match. It has a flint bar on one side, and unscrewable striker in the middle. I can't find much information about it. Does it need wick material inside the striker portion, and lighter fluid? Thanks for any tips. I searched a bit online, but didn't find much about this particular device.

Attachments

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
I dunno..do some more research...this thing could haul in some big $$$ from a collector.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've been looking for one of those! If it's like what I remember, you fill it with lighter fluid. While its not being used the striker (as you call it) soaks up fluid and when struck you get a nice almost windproof match. They are very nice but I haven't seen one since the 70's.

·
STALKER Unit Mobile
183 Posts
just add lighter fluid inside the main body
then dip the rod in
pull it out then strike the side of it with the rod
mine works great and Ive had it for close to 2 years now

·
Registered
268 Posts
yep just fill it with lighter fluid bout every other day cuz while they work they dry up in 2 days or less and need to be refilled it's a metal match or permenent match i find them pretty useless unless you fill it every other day or carry fluid with it .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is a video from a fella about different methods for starting fires. One of the things he keeps on hand is a permanent Match. He talks about it at the 7:30 mark. He also mentions another kid that has a YouTube video. His video is okay, but the info you need is in the one I linked to.

Sh4d0wm4573ri7 - if you were filling it every other day, I would check the o-ring to make sure it was in good condition. This thing was meant to be thrown into a backpack and jostled around without loosing fluid. If yours is draining that fast, it can't be sealed right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
permanent match

Dongguan Aiai Gift Match Industrial Co.,Ltd. specializes in designing and manufacturing waterproof,military and promotional match&lighter
since 1999, we have over 100 experienced workers and 5 designers and manager,which are engaged in match research for
years. We can design&manufacture various gift,military and promotion match as your requirements.
Our products export to USA, European area, Middle East around the world,welcome your ODM&OEM match order.
The following matches are 2010 designed types:

Regards
Mike Chen
Market Manager
P: +86-769-82361588
F: +86-769-82361589
E-mail:[email protected]
Web:http://dggiftmatch.en.hisupplier.com

·
Registered
42 Posts
Talk about going back in time. My dad had a permanant match the mid to late 60's. I had forgotten all about it. Makes me wonder if it's still around somewhere. Thanks for posting this, I think. Now I'm going to go nuts looking for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
look on the side of
permanentmatch.com
in germany you can buy new permanent matches in
every Army Shop or on website of moste Army stores.
I have 4 or 5 of this matches.
I can only tell you how to renovate in german.
My english is not so good to tell it in englisch
but i read most of the info's in this forum and i'm
think you will made it for yourself.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
yep just fill it with lighter fluid bout every other day cuz while they work they dry up in 2 days or less and need to be refilled it's a metal match or permenent match i find them pretty useless unless you fill it every other day or carry fluid with it .
You must have had a bad one. I've had several and I found one in my pack after more than a year of sitting in the garage and it lit first try and continued for about a week of use. They seal with an O-ring so they don't leak. Now, if you use it to smoke you might get a lot less time off of it. But using it to start a fire will get you several fires from very little fluid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts