Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Just A Shadow
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what others have done for a perimeter warning system. I'd like to have a warning system in place around 3-5 acres to let me know when some one is approaching. My land is heavily wooded and some one could stealthily sneak in. Any ideas of a perimeter warning system?

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I was wondering what others have done for a perimeter warning system. I'd like to have a warning system in place around 3-5 acres to let me know when some one is approaching. My land is heavily wooded and some one could stealthily sneak in. Any ideas of a perimeter warning system?
... A good dog.....

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=111164154

You can get 5 of the spent fuses and drill them yourself, buy blanks and get wire for the price of 2 of these. Hang them under soup cans painted up so they stay dry and cover with brush.

A mini pit about 6" deep with the wire going across and a stepping board that drops down, keeps the wire from sight when covered with leaves.

Be smart. Your perimeter can be tightened with the tops of trees left on the ground and clear openings to direct traffic flow.

Add an IR system to the above, for the house perimeter.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Battery powered motion sensors...passive IR. I like the kind with the strobe light for night alerts. Over lay the sensors fields so an intruder can't get to one without setting off another. Mix it up a bit with some long range silent sensors that tone alert inside the home, strobes and simple illumination. 9V battery life up to two years for the remote units and nothing moves night or day without you having at least a fighting chance of detecting it. They run anywhere from twenty to eighty dollars per unit. A decent perimeter security system really isn't all that expensive and a good nights sleep is priceless. Even detect those guys in NV devices snooping around at night.
Peter

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
Peter, do you have any handy links? I have looked at a couple but none seems to do a central reporting. Or may be I am not reading close enough?

My motion lights are going on many times per night. All rabbits and racoons. The rabbits are the main ones grazing next to the house all night. I broke my dog from chasing them unless he gets the ok. The other dogs never chased them. I would prefer to overfeed them and stimulate a population spike so they are close and handy when needed. I adjusted the back light a bit. I had no idea the front lawn is covered in rabbits after about 2pm.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Reactions: arisinwind

·
Just A Shadow
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=111164154

You can get 5 of the spent fuses and drill them yourself, buy blanks and get wire for the price of 2 of these. Hang them under soup cans painted up so they stay dry and cover with brush.

A mini pit about 6" deep with the wire going across and a stepping board that drops down, keeps the wire from sight when covered with leaves.

Be smart. Your perimeter can be tightened with the tops of trees left on the ground and clear openings to direct traffic flow.

Add an IR system to the above, for the house perimeter.

Brew, have you used these? It looks like something that I can use.

I have three dogs that bark a lot, I'm also working on limiting the avenues of approach with brush and thorn vines.

I have motion sensor dual flood lights at the corners of the house as well as a fixed flood at the back and one at the front.

I'm thinking in an extended power outage I'd like to be able to tell when someone is coming through the woods. This trip wire device just might be the thing.

Thanks to all for some great ideas and materials. I appreciate it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts