Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know nothing about pepper corns, the ones they make black pepper out of.

does anyone know any thing about the plant, tree, bush, we get pepper corns from.

I have salt and can get more, but what about pepper corns in a SHTF situataion.

later
wayne

·
Registered
807 Posts
Unfortunately they are not grown in North America at all, so SOL if SHTF.

India, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Malaysia etc. Closest to home is Brazil.

Personally I really like black pepper, but I could live without, just use more chile / jalepeno etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't know anything about growing them but I order mine (Tellicherry and Sarawak) in 1# bags from http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyspeppercorns.html

A single pound of peppercorns should last a LONG time. I'm gonna guess and say probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 months (and we use a lot of pepper) although I've never really paid attention because I have a big tub of them and just fill the grinder as needed. Although I will add, this is not how I plan to store them in the future. I'll be making an order right after Christmas when I take my inventory and will store them in Mylar from now on as added flavor and storage protection.

Oh, and don't forget the grinder! ;) Make sure it's a decent one. We've had some fairly inexpensive models and they don't grind consistently. If you're gonna go with peppercorns invest in a good grinder!

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,272 Posts
As much trouble as they are to grow and process, I think I'd just stock a bunch of them. They lose some of their initial pungency in storage, but overall, they keep very well as long as they're kept whole. I used up the last of a bulk purchase this year that was made in the late 80s. When ground, it was still good.

·
Registered
205 Posts
They lose some of their initial pungency in storage, but overall, they keep very well as long as they're kept whole. I used up the last of a bulk purchase this year that was made in the late 80s. When ground, it was still good.
I'm betting that good ones from Penzey's, vacuum sealed for years, are probably still on par or probably even better than the ones you buy at the average grocery store that have been in the shelf or store room for who knows how long. You're experience bears that out.

The other advantage is price. The average grocery store price for peppercorns is about $4.50 for a 4 ounce jar. Penzey's Telicherry is $12.00 for a pound. My wife likes to pepper stuff till its black so the savings adds up if you use quite a bit like us.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Sam's has it in 19oz containers, but I have no idea how much it costs because it's been 2 years since we bought it.

·
I have control issues
5,921 Posts
I just stock up on whole peppercorns, as part of my food preps, along with any other herbs/spices that I can't grow myself (like cinnamon and any other "tropical" spice)

·
"Through a glass, darkly"
1,948 Posts
My local feed store orders black pepper corns for me through the Azure company, and they cost me $5/lb after his mark-up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts