Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While fishing on the Angelina River near Jasper, Texas, I stopped at a camping site on the Angelina River to eat lunch. The site had various items of trash all over it - everything from broken glass to plastic bottles.

These are remote camping sites only accessible by boat. So it's not like a park ranger is going to drive by and pick up the trash.

There is a sign on the edge of the river showing the camp site name. The sign had been shot up with shotguns and rifles.

It is disgusting how little people care about having nice things. This is also why we lose stuff. Eventually the state is going to get tired of people throwing their trash down and may close the sites.

There is an old saying, "If you abuse it, you lose it."

Someone cut down a tree that was on the edge of the water with a chainsaw.

In the video I say I camped there several times, here is a thread of one such camping trip - https://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=141150. That thread was posted in 2010, and here we are in 2018.

Second picture down in that thread you can see the tree to the far left side that is now cut down. There was a rope attached to the tree that people used as a swing to jump in the water.

A lot of the camp sites have a rope swing. For some reason someone decided to cut that one tree down.

·
Amat victoria curam
1,326 Posts
It's not just there it's everyday, everywhere a weekend on the lake here (Kentucky lake) and saw a lot of same behavior. I honestly think it's a generational thing. Last time I was at Ft Hood took a weekend and floated the San Marco and Guadalupe and noticed the same behavior. It's a shame and will lead to more places being closed, I heard no camping on Perdido key now because park service was spending large chunk on weekend cleanups.

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
There is no appreciation of things these days access is too readily available seems like everybody has a jetski or a boat used to be you were committed to get to an isolated campsite now it's hop on the motorized whatever and follow the GPS.
Once they're there it's isolated they have little fear of being caught if they are caught it's a fine, or community service. That gets kicked down the road till forgotten.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
It is disgusting and I just don't get it...there's zero reason to leave your trash and trash a campsite unless you're simply a narcissistic, ignorant, uncouth, imbecile.

Yes, I'm a trained "Leave No Trace" instructor, but I'm no LNT-Nazi. I don't mind "kids" enjoying the outdoors with a contained fire and a few drinks. But there's the responsibility part of pickup up after your sorry self. Sadly it's not just kids, it's adults who discard trash, destroy foliage, and just trash campsites.

I wish I could say education is the answer, but the morons who trash campsite, likely live in trashed homes or apartments. Education can't fix apathy, disrespect, and bad manors. They simply don't care. They are the invasive species containing genes similar to homo-sapiens that need eradication...I guess I do sound like a LNT-Nazi:D:

ROCK6

·
Only politics *****.
5,485 Posts
Something i noticed locally too.

We almost don't have any places where we can camp free and freely. There are some sites (about 50 in the country) where it's legal to wild camp in a certain small area. Those sites have some infrastructure such as a water pump, a couple of raised platforms and if it's permitted to make a fire, something to make a fire in.

Since opening 3 sites were closed because people kept trashing the place, 2 have been downsized just recenty (removal of fire pit and platforms and making it illegal again to have the fire). Reason for that is that people kept trashing the place, destroying the platforms, load the fire pit with trash and set it on fire (thereby ruining the fire pit), or just people going there to "have a party" with music and a bbq and party tents etc.

Every time i went to one, i put away more trash than fits in my bag (there are even trash cans within a km of most of the places). Some idiots always ruin it for those who actually use the area responsibly.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,251 Posts
To many (so called) humans. This gross over population is near the top of my reasons to expect some event that well cause a massive die off. People keep asking me. "Wow, you are really obsessed with this prepping........what the HELL are you expecting"???

I always answer the same......."I have zero idea what will happen, I only see that the planet is grossly over populated with humans, and there will be a massive population adjustment". I figure upwards of 60% population reduction minimum, and maybe a lot higher.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
To many (so called) humans. This gross over population is near the top of my reasons to expect some event that well cause a massive die off. People keep asking me. "Wow, you are really obsessed with this prepping........what the HELL are you expecting"???

I always answer the same......."I have zero idea what will happen, I only see that the planet is grossly over populated with humans, and there will be a massive population adjustment". I figure upwards of 60% population reduction minimum, and maybe a lot higher.
All it takes is for the rabid environmentalists to introduce a global pandemic to reduce the world population to "save the planet" or the religious fanatics to hasten the apocalypse, the Maadhi coming out of the well, or the Second Coming, take your pick...

About 100 Megatons dispersed in small warheads over both polar ice caps, to melt them and raise sea levels sufficiently to flood about 10,000 major coastal cities, followed by about 4 years of nuclear winter ought to just about do the trick...

·
Banned
14,387 Posts
These same people will continue to trash everything else in their wake. It doesn't matter if who it is, where they are, or what they are doing.

Technology exists to record and identify even in the most remote of places, so this is more an excellent opportunity to make a number of examples by prosecuting each and every one of them to the fullest extent of the law.

Said examples are going to be the only effective means to assure that most people take nothing but photographs, and leave nothing but footprints.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

Native populations in developed nations are poised to rapidly decline. Really it's immigrants from undeveloped nations that are keeping the U.S. anywhere near replacement rate (2.1) and even with immigration Europe is way below replacement rate.

If we can get birth control and elective sterilization into the hands of the undeveloped world we could solve the overpopulation problem within a generation or two.

·
Registered
506 Posts
It's disgusting why people do that. So a few weeks ago I was out at a lake in Kansas camping with my brother. We had a trash bag put up to a tree. A nearby campsite some people can in for one day and when they left we went to look at it. Anyway we were back sitting around the fire and noticed our almost empty trash bag was now full...
At least the picked up their trash and we were both laughing about it.
We always check campsites as people leave all kinds of stuff. Camp chairs, tent stakes, etc.
Found a brand new football at the one in Kansas.

·
Registered
506 Posts
@Rock6.
I'll be an LNT Nazi. No problem. It's pretty simple really. Pick up your freakin trash. This thread is a topic that is one of my pet peeves. People have no respect for nature. I'm not going to get into an altercation about it but if I see someone trashing something I'll say something....nice of course. Even offering them a FREE trash bag.

·
Cynical Thinker
913 Posts
You see it in remote places. I see it just about every weekend where I live. The wife and I are in a 300+ unit condo complex that has quite a few renters. There is one dumpster/compactor. So every weekend and especially at the end of the month somebody moves out and there's a pile of mattresses, broken furniture and a pile of trash bags too heavy for them to lift up and place into the dumpster.

On a few occasions I've cleared the mess up, but now I make sure I get the trash out before or after the weekend. I'm so tired of the slobs and idiots. There's talk of getting a camera installed at the dumpster by the HOA. That'll solve the issue; not!

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
as far as the trash, you carry it in, you pack it out. girlchild and i always carry a extra bag to pick up campsights, cause primitive as they call it here leave every damn thing........

as far as the tree goes. DNR could have cut that down. all it takes is one to let go to soon, land on a rock,log,bank and/or bottom, and gods forbid they get hurt being drunk or stupid and sue the park,:rolleyes: (it happens) and the tree is gone.
Givhans SP, had 2, DNR cut the rope down on the second one at least 50 times i know if, because it was a deep hole, surrounded by a log tangle. if you let go just right, you hit the hole. too soon you hit the bank, to late, you faceplanted the log jam.

I remember when the one did it, they carted him off squalling like a baby and airflighted him to MUSC. when the paperwork hit the park from the lawyer, one of em took a chainsaw, and dropped the tree, rope an all into the hole.
made another brim bed. it happens. people are stupid. drunk people in groups are worse........ dont get me started on the floats (tubing) people scrwed up 3 years ago cause one got so drunk he fell off the float, (thats black water) at the edge of the landing, hit the prop wash hole and disappeared. took em 3 days to find him. I was in on that one. they had been letting a few beers slide for the 3 hour float , but after that, nada none nothing with alch. period. the few always ruin it for the groups. thats why i evade large groups all together, more moron content per person. JM2C:mad:

·
Only politics *****.
5,485 Posts
@Rock6.
I'll be an LNT Nazi. No problem. It's pretty simple really. Pick up your freakin trash. This thread is a topic that is one of my pet peeves. People have no respect for nature. I'm not going to get into an altercation about it but if I see someone trashing something I'll say something....nice of course. Even offering them a FREE trash bag.
That's not a LNT Nazi. Those would be the ones who insist you only walk barefoot on center line of the trail while making sure not to bend a single blade of grass or off a tree. And of course packing out your excrement etc.
Don't get me wrong, on trails, yeah, stick to the trail as much as possible, since it'll protect the area surrounding the trail. In sensitive area's, you pack out your excrement. But some people take it a bit too extreme, basically insisting that nature is only for looking at from a distance, never to be interacted with ;).

·
Registered
61 Posts
I live in the country with the Gasconade River close by. I see this stuff all the time, bunch of people go on a float and take out leaving all kinds of trash there. Popped float tubes, rafts, cans, DIAPERS!

I also see a lack of respect to landowners property when the weekend people are out riding atv's, and utv's. Its like they are out in the country where the law is few and far and they think its vacation time, laws and respect no longer apply to them.

I f'n hate people like that and the big die off can't come soon enough imo.

·
Registered
300 Posts
these are the same people that leave their trash at movie theaters, ballparks, and gyms. their children learn from their behavior. they respect no ones property including their own. Kids will learn, mine did after only a few years, to pick stuff up and put it in its place and to take care of things you use. we live in a disposable society and many cant see that land is not disposable.

·
Don't mind me...
498 Posts
See it every day out here, I look the other way for asshat campers leaving beer bottles and burying TP instead of packing it out or burning it, they **** where they live so how can one expect them to respect public land? I target, stalk, the trashers that bring their trash from town to dump on public land instead of taking it to the landfill. Those one's **** me off. Waste Management and similar organizations are partially to blame because if they were open all day every day and didn't charge extra fees for mattresses and TVs we wouldn't have near as many scumbag trashers.

·
Better Looking Than You
745 Posts
We used to allow people to fish on our pond in Prescott, but the trash got so bad that we had to post NO TRESPASSING signs on the two-track and put up a locked steel gate.

It is the same on public land. We take the horses out and find crap strewn all over.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts