Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Zombie Hunter
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends that live in the city have often viewed my as being a ******* espsince my views on guns and country life, esp. after they found out that *gasp* I was a gun owner but this past weekend it was really funny when my friends saw my BOB in the back of my car, namely the gator jr machete that I have attached to it. Led to the gambit of questions as to why do I have a machete, what do I have in the bag etc.
I had to explain what a BOB was and what I was prepared for. Ofcourse led to why over and over. I asked him if he had jumper cables in his car or a spare tire- they said yes. I asked what would they do if they broke down and they answered "call on my cell phone". After explaining that driving through the mts and not having that option when cell phones dont work leaves one very vulnerable. I just take prep to the next step comparitively, having 3 days worth of food, water, heat sources etc.
I asked what would happen if a major catstrophe happened like Katrina or equivalent occured "who would you rely on" and I got that they could call the police for assistance. What if the police werent there to help you and "that wouldnt happen" was the response I got. When posed that if something happens do you think that LEOs will report to work to "protect him" instead of staying home to protect their families? No real answer to that.
It just amazes me how much some people rely on the goverment to serve and protect without taking the initiative to watch out for #1. I told them that if something happens Im grabbing my guns and heading out of town to somewhere safe sice I dont trust that the government will watch out for me. Guess that the difference growing up in the country where you have to take care of yourself and growing up in the city or suburbia and you rely on others (no offense to anyone living there, you know what I mean.)

·
Just livin'
2,466 Posts
Yes, Don't I know it. I was once called out to light a gas fireplace because they didn't know how. The reason? They wanted 'ambience'.....in their 1.2 million dollar McMansion.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
As a prepper who is inclined to teach others, I shared parts of prepping with friends. I got a lot of the same answers. I had one friend who was really interested and I took her to the big box store. I did my shopping and went to find her, she was looking at boxes and said "wow! the prices are great, but I don't know what I'd do with such a big box". I told her that it had a shelf life of 10 years, would she use it in that amount of time? She said, yes, but where would she put it?
After a long discussion on the way home, talking about storage ideas, she finally said she didn't really think she would ever get around to cleaning out one of her cupboards. :xeye:
Another friend, who dubs herself as a "mountain woman" talked about all her stored goods from the garden she'd had...upon closer inspection, it amounted to 12 jars of pickles,6 jars of jam and 6 pints of home canned peaches. I asked her what would happen if she was stuck there and couldn't go to the store? She said that they had a 4 wheeler they could use if they needed to to get to the mini mart up the road. I asked what if the mini mart was out of food? She said that would never happen, they get trucks all the time and if she had to wait, she could go to the restraunt up the road.:xeye:
I have decided NOT to share any more about prepping unless a person comes to me and says "I want to be prepared because I know something bad will happen sooner or later". It's not worth the absolute frustration.:thumb:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,429 Posts
I used to try to explain to people also. I always got the exact same answers from different people, as if somehow they were all programmed with the exact same response. Every time they gave me the "I'll call the police or fire dept" I would remind them of a hurricane or disaster where they weren't available and the people were on their own. Without fail, I'd get the second round of denial "it can't happen here anyway". It's a nut that can't be cracked. Each to their fate. I gave up trying.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
You need to start slow with sheeple, too much info from actual conversation with people will just overload their auditory nerves and they will shut down.

Try texting while you’re sitting next to them, or double spacing small bits of actual info with tons of useless drivel about the girls next door on their face book, possibly subliminal messages will get through.

As a last resort, meet at a star bucks, then present the scenario to them that they can't order anything because of a SHTF… ever.

Be ready to use a defibulator and perform CPR if they go down.

·
Zombie Hunter
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of them is also pleased with the fine job that Obama has done so far, esp. the healthcare reform.... (wish I was joking) need I say more.

·
Taoist
2,023 Posts
I don't try to explain prepping to anybody. If they had an ounce of brains, and paid attention to what was going on around them and the world in general, they'd be prepping already, and would have the sense not to inform the general populace.

And this is not a cut to you guys that are just trying to help out. I'm just saying, stop wasting your breath. Most people aren't going to believe that a disaster is upon them til it slaps them upside the head.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,095 Posts
Lots and lots of people, even people trying to prep, have trouble accepting that their view of the world is not the only possible future or that mother nature or some crazy terrorist might just kick them right in the nuts.

Remind them that **** Happens and it usually happens when you are not expecting it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was in my local store one day buying london broil and telling a gal that I was going to can it. She thought that was a great idea and told me how her grandma always canned meat but the butcher said..."canning meat is just wrong".

·
Taoist
2,023 Posts
I was in my local store one day buying london broil and telling a gal that I was going to can it. She thought that was a great idea and told me how her grandma always canned meat but the butcher said..."canning meat is just wrong".
*confused* ummm...ask him to explain SPAM (which IS just wrong...lol), canned tuna fish, canned chicken, canned ham, etc.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,429 Posts
Those who are too dense to get the message, don't really want to know the truth.
To be honest, I really don't want those kind coming into the future with us anyway. They're a major part of the problem, and would only start it up again if they made it. I know that sounds callous, but that's the way it is. Even a lot of us who have seen the potential problems and prepared for them, won't make it. It irks me to think of the ones who don't deserve to make it, but will.

·
Reluctor of dominatus
277 Posts
These are same folks who we'll see or hear about leaning on their horns on line at the gas station or scrambling over one another for the last can of baked beans at the supermarket at the first sign of trouble. They'll be the first on the block to get an Ipad but have batteries in their flashlight dating back to the Ford administration. Any suggestion that their perfect world can be disrupted for even a few weeks is dismissed with a wave of the hand, I just look at my little stockplie and sleep a lot better at night knowing those skittles in my MREs may be in high demand someday.

·
Me before coffee...
357 Posts
I keep bottled water in the back of my bronco. My friends would see that and would look at me like I was from mars. So I covered it with a tarp.(Also to keep the sun off it) Now they see the tarp and that is even worse.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts