Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears people are having a bad time staying at home. As in emotional breakdowns, family violence, substance abuse, suicides... etc.

What changed in the past several hundred years to cause people to have emotional issues staying home?

If we go back a few hundred years people were lucky if they traveled from than 9 miles from their home town. The only mode of transportation to regular peasants was walking. There was no internet, no phones, in most cases could not read or write.

There is a young lady I know who is in her mid-20s; she has been emotionally distraught because she can not go see her boyfriend who lives some distance away. As in emotional breakdown, crying, physically angry type of distraught.

This may be a drastic lifestyle change for a lot of people, but all they are being told to do is style home.

I often wonder if our minds have grown accustomed to constant stimulus through TV, computers, phones, social media, travel... that when those are cut off our minds go into withdrawal, much like a drug.

·
Only politics *****.
5,505 Posts
Think you've overthinking it a bit too much with this one Kev.

People are social animals. Even hundreds of years back, there were taverns, and people they visited and quite a bit of work to be done. This situation, if people are following the measures, has people seeing 1-2 people, constantly, in many cases. Or if you live alone, 0 people. And without work to be done. It's basically why isolation was/is so effective in prison :p.

So you have social people who almost don't talk in person, who have too much free time.
That can be quite stressing and depressing for many people. Add in the stress some have from what's happening and ... .

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
No idea.

My wife and I spent more time hundreds, sometimes thousands of miles apart during the first five years of our relationship than we did together and it worked out fine.

I often wonder if our minds have grown accustomed to constant stimulus through TV, computers, phones, social media, travel... that when those are cut off our minds go into withdrawal, much like a drug.
Sure, very likely. But nobody is cut off right now.....

And people may be complaining but at least in my AO, assaults, suicides etc are massively down from last month so wether they are happy or not, people are making due.

It would be really interesting to know if this is a real problem or just a few hipster squeaky wheel types trying to play it up because it fits their agenda of the way they think people are meant to live, ie, hyper mobile, promiscuous, urban, social but not tribal, liberal.

I am cautiously optimistic that most people may actually realize they WANT to live at home with their families after this rather than ship their kids off everyday and spend most of their time at work.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
My wife is not really enjoying being home. She is a teacher and really misses her kids. Me on the other hand am a "essential worker" and I`m trying my best to be in my house. I wouldn`t have a problem being at home for weeks or months. I have tons of things I need to do on the house or yard.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coronavirus induced cabin fever

Think you've overthinking it a bit too much with this one Kev.
I probably am overthinking it as that is one of my faults. I tend to overthink stuff.

However, we can not deny our society has grown spoiled to instant gratification. Rather than going to the store and buying what we want, we now have to que in lines. Certain foods and items have been out of stock for weeks, close to a month.

We have not see this type of lockdown in generations.

·
Super Moderator
14,327 Posts
I probably am overthinking it as that is one of my faults. I tend to overthink stuff.

However, we can not deny our society has grown spoiled to instant gratification. Rather than going to the store and buying what we want, we now have to que in lines. Certain foods and items have been out of stock for weeks, close to a month.

Sure we have become spoiled. With each advancement in technology that generation becomes spoiled by the advancement. Just imagine how spoiled they were in the 1800s when the telegraph came out. And then in the early 1900s when the telephone became popular. Not to mention when cars came out and you didnt need to rely on horses.

·
Only politics *****.
5,505 Posts

Can't deny that at all. Had an electricity failure yesterday for a couple of hours (just a local cable in the street which short circuited, nothing bad), and my first thought was: damn, no internet, no radio (no tv anyway :p), nothing to do, AND i can't go and sit outside in the park in the nice weather to read. Were an annoying few hours, just because i was stuck inside, and that was with some distractions since i do have enough to read around the house. Just that i couldn't go outside annoyed me.

·
Registered
310 Posts
What’s the old saying, “idle hands are the devils playground. We have a lot that we take for granted now. Because of technology and modern conveniences/life people have more free time than every before. 100 plus years ago every family member (unless rich) had to work hard to survive.

Some differences that I can see:

100 years ago people got married at younger ages. There really were no teenage years to find yourself for many. Nuclear families did not exist, you had a lot more extended families living together to survive and get by. People kept busy because they had to. There were not many government programs to help people. Many presidents before FDR had the philosophy that the role of the government was not to provide for the people. That the American spirit was built on self reliance.

Infant mortality rates were much higher, medical technology was no where near where it is today. Psychology was just coming into its own 100 years ago. It use to be if you had mental problems you may very well kill yourself instead of seeking treatment. Many mental institutions were houses of horrors.

You did not have fast food restaurants and stores that made meals for you. If your clothes wore out you would take time to repair them. Darn socks, stitch up pants, resole shoes. The throwaway society had not been created yet. You had to take the time to do many things that we take for granted today.

Flash forward to today. Life is different. Many people do not know true struggles. A lot of people finding themselves with spare time on their hands don’t know what to do with themselves. They have idle hands...... and depression sets in. They don’t have things to keep them busy other than electronics.

Maybe one of the biggest differences that impacts people mental health is we now have a constant stream of news. Things that use to take days/weeks/months to hear about are now instantaneous. At the same time, good news does not sell papers, bad news does. A constant stream of how bad everything is impacts a person’s psyche negatively.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
It appears people are having a bad time staying at home. As in emotional breakdowns, family violence, substance abuse, suicides... etc.

What changed in the past several hundred years to cause people to have emotional issues staying home?

If we go back a few hundred years people were lucky if they traveled from than 9 miles from their home town. The only mode of transportation to regular peasants was walking. There was no internet, no phones, in most cases could not read or write.

There is a young lady I know who is in her mid-20s; she has been emotionally distraught because she can not go see her boyfriend who lives some distance away. As in emotional breakdown, crying, physically angry type of distraught.

This may be a drastic lifestyle change for a lot of people, but all they are being told to do is style home.

Just how modern people are. Concur with you. But we are not China where they beat you if you go out.

Virus will continue to flourish in the USA most likely. We do not live in a way that will eradicate it.

·
Squared away like a donut
445 Posts
I would be content in perpetual isolation on my property. I hate going out when there isn’t a pandemic and only do so when necessary for work or trip to get supplies. My wife is fairly happy with it as well. My kids are another story. They’re in the 20s and are dying to get out.

·
The Black Death
228 Posts
For every hour not spent driving, in a shower, bathroom, or kitchen eating, since 1993 except for when I am employed and a manager gives me a task(systems administration), I spend all of my time surfing the Internet.

I'm spoiled too. Always have had nice systems at university, work or home. 20 inch or better screens. Right now my home system is a Dell Alienware Area 51 w a 30 inch screen.

Now if we have a network outage, the electricity goes down, or the gas is shut off....I have major problems, but until then, I surf the Internet 12+ hours a day.

·
Squared away like a donut
445 Posts
For every hour not spent driving, in a shower, bathroom, or kitchen eating, since 1993 except for when I am employed and a manager gives me a task(systems administration), I spend all of my time surfing the Internet.

I'm spoiled too. Always have had nice systems at university, work or home. 20 inch or better screens. Right now my home system is a Dell Alienware Area 51 w a 30 inch screen.

Now if we have a network outage, the electricity goes down, or the gas is shut off....I have major problems, but until then, I surf the Internet 12+ hours a day.
It’s not quite that important to me, but I would miss SB and the ability to search “how to” for pretty much anything I want to know and have answers in seconds. I have several books in my library, but typing it in a search box and watching a video is way faster. I would definitely miss that ability if it is ever taken away from me. Being born in the 70s though, I do remember what life was like before Google, and I don’t recall it being that bad.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I think there are multiple factors as to why an individual has problems staying home. Some are extroverts and adhd who need more stimulus than an introvert. Some aren’t self starters and need to be micromanaged which would drive me nuts. Some don’t have enough to do or unhappy in their own skins. Some are anxious and afraid looking for a distraction. Some are flat out dumb. Some immature. Some are druggies or mentally ill.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Truthfully, I'm loving it. We are at our place on the lake. My husband's company has grounded all domestic & international travel for the time being. He was able to make it home from Dubai just in time!

Our college age sons are here with us. Doing classes online now that campus is closed.

We are getting sooo much done around here! Garden tilled and planted, barn painted, shop and barn cleaned out and organized, dock repairs, wood for next Winter cut and stacked.

Oldest son is using spare time to strip out and replace wiring harness in his old, much loved truck.

We are the "young kids" on our peninsula down here and our neighbors are much loved so it's been nice checking on them and visiting from across a distance.

We have plenty of food and supplies, thanks to everyone here starting back first of Jan. I should be busy with my canning by middle/end of May.

We have relatively reliable internet so kids and hubby can work/school from here. We have my 82 yo dad living with us. He has dementia and is a 2 year survivor with Pancreatic Cancer and very healthy. Thankfully he hasn't had so much as a bad cold for the past 2 years and I will do everything in my power to keep it that way.

Overall we are very greatful for our current situation. We have worked very hard and sacrificed much to be able to be prepared. I'm also very greatful for those on SB who have shared their knowledge and experience. I don't think we would have been THIS prepared were it not for the heads up in Jan.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've noticed the same thing, Kev. The millennial generation especially, has grown accustomed to a very social lifestyle of spending money on comfort products, going out, being social, ect. And having had that lifestyle all their life, once it is gone it feels like their whole existence is taken away. I see a lot of Snapchat and Instagram "celebrities" who have significant mental/emotional fragility.

I haven't been hit hard. I work in the natural gas industry so I'm considered an "essential" worker. Still working 40 hours a week. But beyond that I rarely ever went out to eat and outside of work I spent a couple hours of most evenings in the gym lifting. Basically I don't lead the typical American lifestyle so my day to day has been relatively unchanged. I've been using this time getting my preps up to speed, working out at home, tracking the virus and listening to independent news media.

·
Registered
772 Posts
its because of already existing mental health issues and has now to do with corvid 19, that younge you mentioned would have done the same stuff if she had lost the internet connection or a car for transport or that the boyfriend was shagging someone else

you cant help snowflakes

·
Possum Lover
15,606 Posts
I speak to a renowned psychiatrist tomorrow for my quarterly tune up. I will ask him about this but I know he had a lot of trouble with patients melting down after the hurricane so I can only assume this has been a lot worse.

The mentally ill, at least, have not been faring well. Then add in daily stresses like business, health, etc. and it's a miracle I'm not in a hospital.

Reactions: elkhornca
1 - 20 of 43 Posts