Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Jed.
2,828 Posts
+1 on the Microstream. I own two. I wear one around my neck every single day. I use it almost every day as well. The new models IMO are the best, as they have a pocket clip that's bi-directional, you can clip it onto the bill of a hat and use it as a head light and comes with a decent neck lanyard. It's light and uses 1 AAA. It does use that AAA quite quickly though, rated at 1.5 hrs, I've never tested that, but I'd say it's about right for 48 lumens. I have an older Stylus pro as well, thing is an awesome light too, recently they doubled the brightness on them as they did with the micro stream. Both are great, but the Stylus Pro uses 2 AAA batteries and is obviously twice the length. Other than that, they look exactly the same! I'd recommend them both.

The Maglite Solitaire and Mini mag are excellent incandescent counterparts I might add, if you don't like LED. But as Jerry pointed out, the entire Maglite line has LED conversion as well. Those conversions are pretty solid, and work quite well too. I actually keep a Mini-Mag in my glove box, along with two full sized Mags at either end of the BOV. When you factor in the LED conversions, however, I find the price point of both the Streamlights and Maglites the same(for Pen sized lights). So it's a matter of style and brand preference for you. Although I will say that the Mag's being a tad older have a higher number of dedicated accessories via Nite Ize.

Good luck brother, happy hunting!

·
The Jed.
2,828 Posts
How focused? Nite Ize makes a fiber optic head attachment for the Mini Mag, it slips right over the bezel. I'm sure that they make others for AAA lights.

·
The Jed.
2,828 Posts
Yeah, the Streamlight stylus series has several styles. You also have 4sevens lights, which I have yet to use, but I hear are fantastic.

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
The Foursevens Preon P2 has been a great light for me. Get the long one and the short one (P1) so you can play lego with them. I like using the 2xAAA setup from the P2, with the twisty tailcap of the P1.

I work in an office too and carry it in my back pocket daily. Comes in handy for rewiring computers or doing other on-the-go office maintenance.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Not smart enough to post pictures yet, but here's a www.ebay.com link. My wife bought me one of these Cree lights over two and a half years ago. Runs on a AA battery and extremely bright. Best part is they run from around $10 to $15. I can't kill it. It's my back-up light at work. It's been soaked, run over, lost, you name it. Still just as bright and works perfectly. AA battery lasts about an hour to an hour and a half run time. And it's very small! Love the clip too. Goes with me everywhere.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Mode-Stro...8518568?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item484793df28

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Oh protip, ad a small length of bright orange duct tape (you may have to cut it to shape) to the middle of whatever light you choose, makes. Finding your light a bit easier.

I wonder if glow in the dark tape could get enough charge to last on a flashlight.

·
The Jed.
2,828 Posts
Agreed determu. Although, if it's already around your neck, you don't need to find it!

·
Registered
249 Posts
The absolute best penlight is the Preon 2 by 4sevens. 160 lumens, 7 modes, tailclick. ~$40

The next step down is the streamlight stylus. 24 lumens, 1 mode, tailclick. ~$20

The worst penlight to buy would be the maglite solitaire. 2 lumens, 1 mode, twist interface. $7. And the beam itself is terrible. For another $10 or so you can buy a Terralux LED upgrade for the solitaire which pushes it to a uninspiring 15 lumens.

Here is a beamshot showing the solitaire and other maglites vs a 80 lumen itp A3. Gives a idea of the difference you would see between a solitaire and a preon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.