Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Jarhead Dude
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recent purchase a Beeman 177 pellet gun. This is a very power airgun that only need to be cocked once per shot. If the SHTF, and there is no more food in the Super Markets or in my hidden locations, I plan to use this pellet gun to shoot small game for food.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
It is a great squirrel or rabbit gun. I have a gamo 1200fps one. Its pretty accurate at the distance I've been shooting it. I only zeroed the scope in at 30 yards.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I've made this statement many times over the last 3 years.

'Everyone should have an air rifle at their BOL'.

It gets alot of naysayers stating the downside. However, it is just like any other tool. I'm not saying to have one versus another firearm.

For about $250 dollars I bought a .177/.22 Beeman combo ($125) a few years back, a used Sheridan pump .177 ($50), 200 gold raptor pellets ($25) plus $50 of various pellets. I'm set for small game.

Not saying I would get rid of my .22 or .17 HMR, but it's just more tools in my tool bag.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I have 2 pellet guns a beeman with .22 and .177 cal barrels and a crossman phantom .177. I like the phantom better because it weighs about 2 pounds less. I like them becuase you can take out squirrels without making a whole lot of noise.

·
Rider on the Storm
102 Posts
Believe it or not I never had a BB or pellet gun as a kid, so I'm ignorant to all this. Beeman or Crossman seem to be the guns of choice. Do they make pellet guns that have more capacity (more than one at a time), pump or semi's holding numerous rds? I'd like to get one for the noise factor.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Good idea.

Would like to see a thread dedicated to evaluating all the different types of air guns available out there. Gamo has a bunch of good rifles and I see Benjamin has a high end Nitro-piston model for around 300 bucks (supposedly quieter).

Will see what "Nut N Fancy" has to say about them too.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I've made this statement many times over the last 3 years.

'Everyone should have an air rifle at their BOL'.

It gets alot of naysayers stating the downside. However, it is just like any other tool. I'm not saying to have one versus another firearm.

For about $250 dollars I bought a .177/.22 Beeman combo ($125) a few years back, a used Sheridan pump .177 ($50), 200 gold raptor pellets ($25) plus $50 of various pellets. I'm set for small game.

Not saying I would get rid of my .22 or .17 HMR, but it's just more tools in my tool bag.

do something like Tevins Law ;)

pellets are really cheaper then dirt 2,5 euro for 500 pellets

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
A BB or Pellet gun is not a bad idea to be sure. My only real concern is the durability of the guns and their repair and keeping them running. When you consider the cost the price of a good quality gun aint too far off from a good 22 rim fire. You can feed a 22 rim fire for about 3 1/2 cents a shot, how does that compare to the cost of PBA ammo in 22 caliber? The other additional benefit I see with a 22 rim fire is you can get about twice the effective range and shoot a wide variety of ammo loads from CB caps to shot shells in a break open single shot or bolt action 22 rim fire.

Yeah I own a BSA Airsport 22 cal pellet gun with a 3x9 scope on it. Yeah I have shot a number of pest with it not to mention plinking at targets. Its a pretty accurate little set up out to 25-30 yards or so. Yeah its a bit more stealthier than a 22 rim fire with most loads but load that 22 rim fire with sub sonic or CB caps and there aint that much difference in noise levels, at least I dont think so. But at this point I am not so sure I want to rely on it for all my small game collecting, especially when you consider the price of PBA pellets.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I can't stand the raptor pellets. They bring the sound barrier in my guns and make a fairly loud crack. They also seem to drop more and the terminal ballistics aren't nothin to brag about. Not to mention they are way over priced .

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Air rifles are usually very long lived if given just a bit of respect (DO NOT!!!! dry fire it!) My .177 Gamo is a excellent piece, but if I was going to do it again, I'd opt for the .22. The .177's tend to go right through and out the other side. The other 'odd' thing about spring guns is they like to be left alone. Constant stripping, cleaning and general fussing is counter productive. If I was using it most days for small game foraging, I'd strip and clean it once a year, maybe. I've had my Gamo for 10 years now, it's fired 1000's of pellets and I've had it apart once, just after I got it make sure all was well. If it gets wet/muddy, I'll remove the stock, clean, dry and oil the trigger system (not disassemble tho) then replace the stock. As a BOB/EOD forage weapon (or just forage weapon) a good quality .22/.25 would be a major asset. Home cast ball ammo would be doable, too.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
.177 Pellets

I have a standard Crossman .177 at the cabin - can step out on the back deck and take a rabbit or fox squirrel with it. It'll shoot pellets or your standard BB and is actually pretty freaking accurate.

I think it is a must - I would not want to waste a shot gun or rifle shell on a small critter.
Have a Crossman my self, LOL, it is the only gun I own that has hunting camo on it.
I have two types of pellets, The standard and high velocity. i use the BBs to keep stray dogs/cats out of the yard and squirrels out of my garden. But when practicing with it you can really tell the difference in the speed when the high velocity pellets are fired. I have a old 1" piece of plywood with a 10' target with 8,6,2,1 inch rings painted on it that I use. The high velocity pellets at 20/25 yards flatten out and in-bed in the plywood.:)

·
The 5 Will Survive
2,919 Posts
I have a Daisy Powerline 881 and I just put a rebuild kit in it this past week.

I'm ringing pop cans at 60 to 70 foot.
Regarding accuracy, I find that pellets are more accurate than the bb's. I just shoot the cheap crosman premiers.
Of course, they have more weight and power behind them, but with 10 pumps it will put a hole in a 5 gal. Bucket.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
I have a FWB 124. It chronographs at about 825 fps. The new pellets and some air rifles are how going over 1000 fps.

I use lead Crossman 10gr pellets & have never had to use more than one shot on a squirrel.

In the 70's there was a survival book written under similar circumstances (remember Carter, well it's him all over again but 10 times worse), the book recommended an air rifle because of the amount of ammo you could carry, silence, power and accuracy for short distances, and that it may keep you out of legal trouble when a regular firearm may cause alarm.

·
Registered
284 Posts
If there is a rattlesnake out on the front lawn, i really dont want to take out my 22 rifle where all the neighbors can see. I'm sure one of them would call the cops on me for walking around with a loaded gun.

However a pellet gun is not a firearm and the worse you will get from the police is a scolding. So there are times when it is better to use a pellet gun than a real one.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
added a Crosman 66 Powermaster this morning .... 4 x15 scope included .... $5 at a garage sale .... didn't have .177 yet and couldn't beat the price

picked up a BSA Meteor 22 cal last year for $8 at a garage sale .... no scope but the condition was like brand new ...

·
Registered
356 Posts
I bought an RWS air rifle in .177 a few years ago. Its accurate enough but its also as loud if not louder than a 22s and certainly a Super colibri. Had I known this I would have spent the cash on more 22 ammo to feed a cheap bolt action 22. An air rifle is a nice addition to the arsenal but knowing what I know now, I'd have looked for a $6 garage sale special before shelling out for the RWS.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts