Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago homesteads would have lots of pecan trees. Now these trees are reduced to a rarity. If you see an empty field, with a bunch of old pecan trees, chances are an old home stead used to be there. The old timers would collect the pecans and eat then through the winter. These are an excellent long lasting, easily store able food.

If you ever eat a fresh pecan, you will realize how nasty the packaged pecans from the store really are. Home made pecan pie is hard to beat. Well, you can not beat it.

The pecans have started falling, so its time to pick em and put em up. The pecan grows inside of a larger shell. The shell splits open and the pecan will fall out.

These pictures were taken at a local fair. The county court house (where the fair was held) has close to 2 dozen big pecan trees around it.

Fertilize these trees in the early spring with 13-13-13 around the outside edge of the limbs - aka the drip line. Or spread manure around the drip line instead of commercial fertilizer.

Attachments

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,996 Posts
15 years ago I started out by planting 7 Choctaw pecan trees out here. I'm up to 25 pecan trees of various types around the house proper. The theiving crows and squirrels have planted more in the bottomland land and pastures.
It's been a banner year for the older trees, I've gathered at least a 5 gallon bucket of them so far. Alot more are still in the trees.
The hard part of shelling them is next,....I think I'll wait till a good cold front to do that on the porch.
There is a spray schedule to eliminate the pecan case borer,....but so far most have been filled out and solid pecans.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
If you have pecan trees, they like a little Zinc sulfate, from time to time.
If you have a farm extension Service person, in your area, they MIGHT can tell you the correct amount, for the size of the tree.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,996 Posts
I totally forgot about their Zinc requirements,....thanks for the reminder Ammo!
The oldtimers used to drive zinc galvinized nails in the trees to combat zinc deficiencies,....I got a sack of zinc sulfate in the garage so I'll go that route instead.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.