Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Cautious Optimist
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had two cross-pollinating varieties of pecan trees (Stuart & Creek) delivered to my door yesterday evening. I'm planting them this afternoon.

Obviously, they are part of my long-range nutrition and food prep goals. I enjoy nuts as a critical part of my protein/good fats intake. Thes will certainly fit the bill.

Of course, I'm 6-7 years out on any nut production, but I'm a patient man. :rolleyes: Besides providing an excellent calorie supplement, they may also be good for barter, and a mighty good critter attractant. :thumb: They'll also fit in well with my three cherry, three plum, three apple, two peach, and two pear trees ... as well as my blackberry patch and my six new blueberry bushes!

·
Registered
995 Posts
I just had two cross-pollinating varieties of pecan trees (Stuart & Creek) delivered to my door yesterday evening. I'm planting them this afternoon.

Obviously, they are part of my long-range nutrition and food prep goals. I enjoy nuts as a critical part of my protein/good fats intake. Thes will certainly fit the bill.

Of course, I'm 6-7 years out on any nut production, but I'm a patient man. :rolleyes: Besides providing an excellent calorie supplement, they may also be good for barter, and a mighty good critter attractant. :thumb: They'll also fit in well with my three cherry, three plum, three apple, two peach, and two pear trees ... as well as my blackberry patch and my six new blueberry bushes!
Hi Digger,
Can I ask where you ordered them? We are needing some and last year the ones died that we bought from a local. Thank you.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I plan to order almost $700 worth of trees and berry bushes in the next few weeks.

9 apple
3 pear
2 cherry
2 fig
2 elderberry
36 assorted berry plants

The trees are mostly COMPAct varieties that can be planted 10 feet apart. plenty of fruit in the near future.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
I plan to order almost $700 worth of trees and berry bushes in the next few weeks.

9 apple
3 pear
2 cherry
2 fig
2 elderberry
36 assorted berry plants

The trees are mostly COMPAct varieties that can be planted 10 feet apart. plenty of fruit in the near future.
i recommend no smaller than semi dwarf deer can kill little trees fast

Reactions: sachson

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,527 Posts

Congratulations, but I hope you have tall sturdy fencing already built.

I had 60 Stuarts and 75 natives eaten by the wildlife. My fault perhaps since I don't live there full time. But apparently the deer and the wild hogs love to eat pecan tree seedlings.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Yeah, put chicken wire around them, at the least. Hope you dug DEEP, too. They do well in AZ above the desert heat zone. Planning for the future is important, as well as general property improvement. First thing I did was put in an orchard at 2000sf garden. My pecans died, but the walnut is going strong. Had a couple nuts the 2nd year... If you do walnuts, dont plant anything within 35' as their leaves when decaying kill off other plant competition- good shade trees...

Plant more apples. They are the one fruit that I know that are not heavily affected by late frosts and other climate variables. I get a crop of apricot 'n peaches about every 2-4 years, but apples, plums, every year. You can dry them, make vinegar, cider, etc. Or store them in a root cellar over the winter!!! And GRAPES, you need some grapes! They make great sunshades and windbreaks for patios.

+1 on blackberry and blueberries. Mine died in the hot AZ sun... If you drink/brew beer, grow a hop bush- you can get roots online with a little searching. I bet you could get alot in trade for a pitcher of good homebrew post fan-hitting!!

·
Cautious Optimist
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Digger,
Can I ask where you ordered them? We are needing some and last year the ones died that we bought from a local. Thank you.
Bass Pecan Company. http://basspecan.com/pecans.html

Fantastic service. Came pruned, ready to go in the ground. Shipping is a bit high, but the service and product were worth it to me.

·
Cautious Optimist
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From my own experience Pecan trees are not an easy tree to care for. If you are unfamiliar with them make sure you read up and move them to your short list of trees to care for.
For sure ... Bass Pecan included a planting and care guide with recommended schedules for fungicide and insecticide. Just another excellent part of their service.

·
Cautious Optimist
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, put chicken wire around them, at the least. Hope you dug DEEP, too. They do well in AZ above the desert heat zone. Planning for the future is important, as well as general property improvement. First thing I did was put in an orchard at 2000sf garden. My pecans died, but the walnut is going strong. Had a couple nuts the 2nd year... If you do walnuts, dont plant anything within 35' as their leaves when decaying kill off other plant competition- good shade trees...

Plant more apples. They are the one fruit that I know that are not heavily affected by late frosts and other climate variables. I get a crop of apricot 'n peaches about every 2-4 years, but apples, plums, every year. You can dry them, make vinegar, cider, etc. Or store them in a root cellar over the winter!!! And GRAPES, you need some grapes! They make great sunshades and windbreaks for patios.

+1 on blackberry and blueberries. Mine died in the hot AZ sun... If you drink/brew beer, grow a hop bush- you can get roots online with a little searching. I bet you could get alot in trade for a pitcher of good homebrew post fan-hitting!!
Grapes are going in this year! :D: I've tried a few, but didn't plant properly. Learned my lesson.

No beer for me ... celiac disease. But I did buy a cider press this past year. Made 24 quarts of pear cider and 26 quarts of apple cider last year. Looking to cook up a "hard" batch this fall. ;)

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Bass Pecan Company. http://basspecan.com/pecans.html

Fantastic service. Came pruned, ready to go in the ground. Shipping is a bit high, but the service and product were worth it to me.
this made me smile....

that used to be owned by my family tho it exists in name now only I hope you enjoy my great grandaddies pecans

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Wow, Farmerjohn, you must be so proud!!!! Now wonder you are such a great farmer!
I appreciate the compliment but I am not a great farmer just have a small family farm, but for some reason i have a thing for fruit and nut trees:)

·
Cautious Optimist
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
this made me smile....

that used to be owned by my family tho it exists in name now only I hope you enjoy my great grandaddies pecans

Got my trees in 48 hours. They were pruned and prepped for the ground. Awesome instructions and a handbook for the care of the plants. The new owners seem to know their stuff.

Hopefully, someday I WILL be able to enjoy some of those tasty pecans on my oatmeal and sorghum cereal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.