Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Game Face
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This recipe comes from "Recipes for Life from God's Garden" by Rhonda J. Malkmus. For the vegetarian survivalists out there, this is a delicious non-meat protein alternative dish. And I -- though not a vegetarian -- can attest to it's delicious taste.

2 cups pecans
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup celery
2 cups whole grain bread crumbs
2 cups basmati rice
1/4 tsp. sage
1 medium onion
2 cups tomatoes
1 Tbsp. Bragg Liquid Aminos

Prepare 2 cups basmati rice by stiring rice into 4 cups boiling water, turn down heat, replace lid and cook for 30 minutes. Turn off and allow to sit 15 minutes with lid on. While rice is cooking, place pecans in a food processor or blender, grind to a fine meal and pour into a bowl. Chop tomatoes fine and add to the bowl. Dice and steam saute' onions and celery in a small amount of distilled water. Combine rice, onions, celery, tomatoes, seasonings and bread crumbs with pecan mixture and mix well. Spread into a lecithin-coated loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, spread homemade tomato ketchup over the top and continue to bake an additional 15 minutes.

Camping (or in a survival situation) where electricity is not available, I find the Pampered Chef chopper (chops both nuts and vegetables -- possibly not the tomatoes) to be indispensible in prepping the pecans. I like Pampered Chef because the blade compartment breaks apart for thorough cleaning. I have not attempted to cook this over an open fire or in a brick Dutch oven.

If you have experience in either situation with such recipes, please respond.

Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts