Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
You Cant Eat ......
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing i have never been good at planting is peas. Doesnt matter, sugar peas, snap peas, bush peas, i always seem to get really nice big vines and then only a handful of pods, which my 6 year old promptly eats.

I was talking to the old guy next store about this and he says that i plant my peas way to late for eastern pa (plant mid may) and that Peas are like brocolli and spinach and should be planted as soon as the ground can be tilled. (late march). Isnt that too early for peas, wouldnt a frost kill the peas?

When do you plant these things for best harvest?

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
your old guy is correct .... you can't go by the calender however .... it's when the ground is ready and temps are steady ..... might be March or it could be April .... mid or late May you should have everything planted

you can get your pea plants started inside and transplant .....

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
Sugar peas, sugar snaps and English peas are a cold weather crop and can take some cold and frosts.

http://www.vegetable-gardening-online.com/when-to-plant-peas.html

Southern peas, or cow peas will freeze.

Edit: Peas are legumes and take nitrogen from the air. Putting out a fertilizer with too much nitrogen can cause you to grow lush bushes and vines that produce very few peas.

·
You Cant Eat ......
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What kind of fertilizer are you using?
Primarily mushroom soil in the spring plus my compost.

I get really nice vines up my trellis and a bunch of flowers but after that, just a few pods. I wondered if it had to do with the heat of june stunting them off. I always thought they were cold sensitive and needed to be planted after the frost date.

·
patriarch
4,809 Posts
I have never grown peas, but I had a neighbor that did. He always planted them on valentines day here in Indiana. Sometimes he had to rake the snow back. Awsome gardener he was. He also raised iceberg head lettuce. Only person I ever knew to raise head lettuce. He planted his lettuce between bales of straw for some early weather protection. The cold didn't seem to bother the plants.

·
stubborn old broad
553 Posts
Yes, indeed, garden (English) peas are cold-hardy. Lincoln's Birthday was our classic planting date when I was a kid in Indiana. You can plant them under snow if necessary, but certainly right along side your earliest crops.

If you delay planting, there are several reasons that you won't get a crop- pea enation being one of them.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts

I get really nice vines up my trellis and a bunch of flowers but after that, just a few pods. I wondered if it had to do with the heat of june stunting them off. I always thought they were cold sensitive and needed to be planted after the frost date.
Small, or no pods is a sign of not enough potash (Potassium), long vines is a sign of too much nitrogen.

Are you using rabbit manure or chicken manure in the compost? Try adding some ash from a fire or fireplace to balance out the compost.

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
Pretty plants, no production is most always a nutrition problem. Kev got you the nutrition info. and if you've checked through your extension office or the local farmers on your planting date you should be good this year. Sweet peas and snow peas are planted here on Valentine's Day (or the day after. :)) Gotta get them in the ground and grown before the heat kills them. :)

·
Registered
2,599 Posts

Plant early as the ground can be worked and also stagger your planting, a new row every week until about the beginning of May in your area. See which produce best.

Then also do a fall planting around the first of August for a harvest into September/October. Cover with a sheet on true freeze nights. They can take some snow fall, whether in spring or fall.

Peas tend to like potash, so dump some wood ashes in the row where you plant peas (and beans). They also like organic mulch (ground up leaves, grass, etc.).

·
Trouble following rules
2,201 Posts
Here's a convenient reference from Mother Earth News, that I use when I'm not quite sure when to plant something.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/What-To-Plant-Now.aspx#axzz2KE13m5h7

First, choose your region, then click on the month.

You'll see peas, in the mid-atlantic region, can be planted ourtdoors starting in March.

You should also be able to get a planting date guide for your area either online or from your local Cooperative Extension office.

It's definitely getting to be that time of year, isn't it? :thumb:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Peas are direct plant. Your climate is similar to ours here in Ohio. Peas love the cooler temps, so planting them in mid May is way to late. I usually put mine in the in the ground mid to late march, with them popping their lovely vines out usually the beginning of April.

Doing that, I get a lot of pods.

·
Getting There!
11,458 Posts
My batch last year was cut down by rabbits. I had about 100' of livestock panels mounted on T-posts and not a one of them reached the trellis. :(

That's gardening I guess. Rabbits have been in very short supply here for a long time due to high concentrations of fire ants, but the last several years fire ants have struggled. That's good for rabbits, quail and anything else that nests on the ground.

I looked at inoculate, but I decided to forgo the English peas and to concentrate on Zipper Cream peas this year.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060927110742.htm :thumb:

http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/fireant/Maps.html

·
A Round American Woman
539 Posts
Last week in March to the first week in April in Western Pa. If there is nasty weather I start three flats indoors and then transplant those and direct seed the rest as soon as the weather clears. I don't plant if it's going to rain for a few days. Planting that early with lots of rain and you run the risk of the seeds rotting.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Peas are direct plant. Your climate is similar to ours here in Ohio. Peas love the cooler temps, so planting them in mid May is way to late.
I would like to add:

Plant as soon as the chance of frost has passed. I usually plant my peas/beans here in southeast Texas around the middle of March. By the time June/July gets here, the summer heat is killing the plants.

Plant directly from seed.

To promote germination, soak the seeds in water for 12 - 24 hours before planting. I usually put my seeds on to soak the night before I plant.

Do not use nitrogen rich fertilizer or high nitrogen compost on beans or peas, as nitrogen promotes long vines, but does not promote pod development.

If pods are not developing, add potash, or a Low N and P, and high K fertilizer.

Nitrogen N (first number on a bag of fertilizer) - promotes growth and leaf development, think corn, greens, cucumbers,,,.

Phosphorous P (second number on a bag of fertilizer) - promote root development, think potatoes, turnips, radishes,,,.

Potassium K (third number on a bag of fertilizer) - promotes pod development, think beans, peas, watermelons, okra,,,,.

When unsure, use a balanced fertilizer such as 13-13-13.

·
You Cant Eat ......
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a bump for a thanks here for all the pea advice. I took a lot of it and here are my results

I was out in the garden last night and i do not think you can go 2 inches on any of the vines without running into a pea pod. For me at least, i certainly have never grown that many before.

I was with my 6 year old last night who loves them, so i will probably end up getting as many as i did last year (3 pods or so) but at least he will have a bigger belly from eating them. :D:

thanks all!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts