Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just got done watching Tora, Tora, Tora and there's still about an hour of Dec. 7 (a day that will live in infamy...) left on my clock. I worship with a man that was at Pearl when it was attacked 67 years ago today. We spoke with him some after tonight's assembly and he mentioned that everyone seems to have forgotten about it. Barely a mention in newspapers or the local news. We don't take the paper and the news stations here are bad enough to not watch for anything but weather so I couldn't corroborate, but, in general I think he's right. It just doesn't seem to be that big of a deal to anyone anymore. I thought I would've seen a lot of discussion about it here if anywhere but I haven't. I'm very surprised. I hope that I've missed the thread somehow. Shame on us if I haven't. :(:mad:

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
You are correct about folks not remembering.
Sawa small blurp on the news...Don't know about the paper.

I put my flag out for the day. Neighbors ask why.

Course they usually ask why anytime I have it out.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
Well, I just got done watching Tora, Tora, Tora and there's still about an hour of Dec. 7 (a day that will live in infamy...) left on my clock. I worship with a man that was at Pearl when it was attacked 67 years ago today. We spoke with him some after tonight's assembly and he mentioned that everyone seems to have forgotten about it. Barely a mention in newspapers or the local news. We don't take the paper and the news stations here are bad enough to not watch for anything but weather so I couldn't corroborate, but, in general I think he's right. It just doesn't seem to be that big of a deal to anyone anymore. I thought I would've seen a lot of discussion about it here if anywhere but I haven't. I'm very surprised. I hope that I've missed the thread somehow. Shame on us if I haven't. :(:mad:

I am reminded about the events that took place at Pearl Harbor every year, it happens to be my Birthday (12-07-70) and me being a Military man, every year I propose a toast to those who lost there lives that day. May they rest in peace where ever they are.

·
Going Postal
14 Posts
Even though I am young I never forget that day. Today was one of the very few days since the original that December 7th fell on a Sunday. I spent friday and saturday watching the episodes of Band of Brothers (watching Ben Affleck in Pearl Harbor just doesn't do it for me).

One of my greatest wishes has been to be able to visit Pearl Harbor before the last veterans of that terrible day all pass on.

We forget, so we must repeat the same mistakes of the past. Pearl Harbor and 9/11 should never be forgotten.

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
I'm not much of a clock watcher, or calendar for that matter, but some days should not be forgotten. December 7th being one of them. It seems every year more of the anniversaries of important dates in our history are played down. Especially if it has anything to do with a battle, D Day and Pearl Harbor are just two examples. They have pretty much taken Christ out of Christmas and now they are trying to take our history away from us too.

·
Geriatric Gladiator
682 Posts
Not a single tv show or movie on Pearl Harbor today. Not even 'From Here to Eternity " with Burt Lancaster. The main stream media really is showing disrespect in my opinion.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
I saw Tora,Tora,Tora.
Every Dec 7th, my old high school [in college now] used to have fundraisers and stuff on this day. Obviously not this year since it was a sunday.

But, I remembered. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Seems like most of America has, but I won't ever forget. My father is buried in Arlington National Cemetery so I have lots of help for me to remember all the sacrifices that have been given to our nation. When I was a kid, we flew where we could see the Arizona leaving Hawaii and our pilot tipped his wings in honor to her and all who served and died and said so over the plane's intercom. It was really something to still see her under the water. And I will never forget his way of honoring them.

Tora, Tora, Tora. Great movie.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
My mother remembers the announcement on the radio. Everyone was scared, and you're right, we should remember everyone who died that day as well as honor those who survived. But don't lose sight of the big picture; we dropped the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki not to end the war [Japan was ready to surrender because we'd already beaten them], but to terrify the rest of the world. We pushed Japan into the war by cutting off its fuel oil supplies and other tactics; it would have been to our advantage to bring Japan around to our thinking and have it as an ally rather than as an enemy in fighting Hitler.

My mother also remembers being in school and the principal calling all the Japanese students to come to the principal's office with their coats and books. She never saw any of them again, people she knew and was friendly with. The Western Washington Fair Grounds in Puyallup, WA was the gathering point for local Japanese families to be taken to internment camps. Many Japanese lost their homes, their livelihoods, everything they owned [and we are talking truck farmers and small business people, not rich people] because of a trumped-up fear. And yes, there were non-Japanese interrned during the war as well; an excellent book on the subject is 'Three Came Home', by a woman who survived with her son [her husband also survived] detailing what they went through.

We need to remember those who fought, but also those who were hurt in the war, not just the wounded, but those dispossessed through no fault of their own.

December 7 and every other commemorative day of war needs to be a day to reflect on the need for people and nations to talk rather than toss rocks at each other.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My mother remembers the announcement on the radio. Everyone was scared, and you're right, we should remember everyone who died that day as well as honor those who survived. But don't lose sight of the big picture; we dropped the bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki not to end the war [Japan was ready to surrender because we'd already beaten them], but to terrify the rest of the world. We pushed Japan into the war by cutting off its fuel oil supplies and other tactics; it would have been to our advantage to bring Japan around to our thinking and have it as an ally rather than as an enemy in fighting Hitler.
Roosevelt certainly did want us in the war. I don't necessarily subscribe to any of the conspiracy theories mind you, but the more I learn about FDR the less I like him. Much of that time period, before and after the Great Depression, World Wars, etc... is what has gotten us where we are today - so, so far from the Constitution and sound monetary practices.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Time moves on

By the time Pearl Harbor occurred, how many Americans were still commemorating Gettysburg?

In another 50 years or so, how many people will commemorate 9/11?

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
By the time Pearl Harbor occurred, how many Americans were still commemorating Gettysburg?

In another 50 years or so, how many people will commemorate 9/11?
Great point, sad...maybe. The way life is, Yes.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am reminded about the events that took place at Pearl Harbor every year, it happens to be my Birthday (12-07-70) and me being a Military man, every year I propose a toast to those who lost there lives that day. May they rest in peace where ever they are.
I hear ya:thumb: My birthday is Veteran's Day 11-11-1985. People think it's odd that I always spend part of my birthday going to Veterans Day services, then to the annual air show of old planes from World War II.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Great point, sad...maybe. The way life is, Yes.
If every day is a commemoration of some sort it all loses its meaning. All in all Pearl Harbor and 9/11 were minor compared to other acts of war in terms of the numbers of people killed. And they were at least in part brought about by our own actions. 9/11 was basically the day the our country died, because of the laws we allowed to be passed and the false war we started. Maybe we should commemorate that in some way (seriously). I don't know. It just seems weird to commemorate certain events when there is so much propaganda based on them, and the country thousands of people have died for has already effectively been destroyed.

I can't imagine being trapped in the Arizona. Horrible and terrifying way to go.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Pearl Harbor Day is worth remembering, but there are others most folks don't talk abut much anymore either. D-Day of course, but when was the last time you heard anyone talking about VE day or VJ day? Its up to us to see the next generation remembers. They will not dig it out for themselves. Take the time to explain it to young people, show the movies and if you have pictures from the family, do show and tell with the young folks. Let them explain to you why it is important instead of you telling them. Let the kids put the flag up and tell their friends WHY.

There are lots of hallowed days for rememberance and I recommend partiscipating in them. Dig up Revolutionary war period stories and pictures, Civil War, WWI & WWII, even Nam and now 911. They are all important and as bookmarks, outline our history as a free nation.

Scotty

·
small "l" libertarian
1,379 Posts
I remembered. I was even doing the "day math" in my head last week, and thought, "hmm, Dec 7th is on a Sunday this year, just like in 1941." I wasn't alive then, but my parents were. I remember when I was kid, every Dec 7th, we all used to gather round while all of the adults told stories about what they were doing when they heard about the attack. Anytime someone asks if people remember what they were doing on 9/11, I think about those gatherings.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Sunday after church my family was sitting next to a large family in a local restaurant. There were three generations of the family sitting there, grandparents, parents, and teenage kids. They were all sitting around talking about how on this day (Dec 7) the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. At first I thought that they were kidding, but they kept talking about it for 5-10 minutes. These were well off, highly educated people. How does this happen? How are we supposed to learn from history when no one knows history?

Bill

·
Crazy old man
1,287 Posts
Thats the reason General Eisenhower had all the pictures taken, those who would rewrite history. Soon you'll start hearing those who will blame the U.S. for 911, the same people who blame FDR for Pearl Harbor.:taped:

·
Does not play well
1,511 Posts
Remembering great and dreadful days cheapens them? Pearl Harbor was OUR fault? We just needed to help Japan to turn to our way of thinking??? (Remember they had just given us "friendship medals" days before the sneak attack/massmurder.) Japan declared war AFTER Pearl Harbor so their attack was not war, but mass murder and they deserved every single consequence that happened to them after that fact. That completely disregards consequences they escaped for having done what they did in the Phillipeans, and in China (especially Nangking with over 250,000 murdered).

9/11 OUR fault??!!! Only in that we treated savages with undeserved civility up to that point.

I guess there will always be revisionist monsters in this world that will try to guilt away the greatness that is America. Yes we put Japanese/Americans in camps during WWII, but that likely saved their lives with what was to come during the war. It also solved a major security issue (where do you think the intelligence about Pearl Harbor that the Japanese used came from?). What we couldn't/didn't solve was German spying during WWII. Much as we refuse to stop the slow creeping influence of radical islam in the US.

As for bombing Japan. With the actions of the Japanese in the island to island fighting in the Pacific the usage of atomic weapons likely saved the Japanese culture. The would have likely fought to the last man had we tried a land invasion. The false theory that the Japanese were on the verge of collapse is totally false. Their army was untouched and ready for a fight. They had instituted a civil defense program where they were teaching ALL how to fight with sharpened sticks etc. Entire cities in Japan were untouched by Allied bombings (fire bombings were more destructive and accounted for more loss of life than the atomic weapons). They were offered a chance to surrender after the first bombing AND REFUSED. Atomic power while horrific saved the Japanese from utter destruction.

I for one will remember and will not allow the same mistakes to happen where and when I have the influence to stop such things.

I will not apologise for finishing a war that others start. I will not apologise for the sacrifice of others that have made this country great. As soon as other countries in this world start sending their best and brightest in sacrifice for the ensured freedom of others, in countries that do not matter to us THEN I will say that America is only average and not great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts