Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Power of the Glave
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done watching a 2-part DVD "In the Footsteps of St. Paul". Narrated by British actor David Suchet.

I had known the general outlines of Paul's story. But this series really impressed me with what an amazing man he was. And his importance to early Christianity.

He was a furious persecutor of the early followers of Jesus. Even participating in the stoning death of Stephen.

Then experiences a dramatic conversion on the way to Damascus.

He was the first to declare that it wasn't necessary to become Jewish, in order to worship Jesus. That the message of Jesus was intended for the ENTIRE world, and not just the Jews. It's hard to imagine what a revolutionary idea this was at that time. Even some of Jesus's disciples were strongly opposed to this!

As David Suchet says in the doc: If it wasn't for Paul, Christianity might have remained merely an obscure Jewish sect.

THEN he embarks on a truly epic journey throughout the Roman Empire. Probably 10,000 miles ON FOOT! And many more miles by sea. Going to places and cities that had never even heard of Jesus. Proclaiming Christian love from the rooftops!

What is great about the man, was that he was no "plaster saint". He could be tactless, extremely stubborn, imperious, and dangerously outspoken.

In the city of Ephesus, he denounced the city's patron goddess Artemis. The craftsmen in the city, who made a good living selling statues of the goddess to visiting pilgrims, were incensed. At a meeting in the town's amphitheater, hundreds of them became so angry that a riot was started. And Paul had to flee for his life, barely escaping being lynched.

When he crossed the Bosporus into Europe proper, he baptized a woman named Lydia beside a riverbank. In effect, this woman became the first Christian in Europe.

He continued to travel throughout Greece and the Roman Empire. He may even have visited Spain.

In Rome he ran into real trouble. Daring to say that the Roman Emperor was NOT a god. Imagine a man openly preaching such an idea, in the very heart of the Roman Empire! The guy had a ton of guts!!

His Letter to the Romans remains to this day probably one of the most profound expositions of the Christian faith ever produced.

Even the best Hollywood script couldn't makeup a story like this.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I remember watching some of that video. Most of the secular productions of biblical characters and events don't actually follow the Bible closely. They also put in some secular judgment, which is to be expected as its made to appeal to a broad audience.

However, it does give an overview of the life and times of Paul. If you haven't already, read Acts and the letters of Paul to get a good contrast or comparison of the events and Paul Himself.

BTW Ananias was really the first person to hear from Christ that the Good News was to go to the Gentiles too.
Act 9:15* But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:*
And Peter had the vision of the sheet with the unclean animals as well as clean animals in Acts 10 prior to Paul(Saul) starting any ministry. Cornelius the Roman Centurion was saved thru Peter.

But Paul was the main person that God used to bring the Gospel to the Gentile world. You are right about Romans. Great work on sin and justification by faith.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I remember watching some of that video. Most of the secular productions of biblical characters and events don't actually follow the Bible closely. They also put in some secular judgment, which is to be expected as its made to appeal to a broad audience.

However, it does give an overview of the life and times of Paul. If you haven't already, read Acts and the letters of Paul to get a good contrast or comparison of the events and Paul Himself.

BTW Ananias was really the first person to hear from Christ that the Good News was to go to the Gentiles too.

And Peter had the vision of the sheet with the unclean animals as well as clean animals in Acts 10 prior to Paul(Saul) starting any ministry. Cornelius the Roman Centurion was saved thru Peter.

But Paul was the main person that God used to bring the Gospel to the Gentile world. You are right about Romans. Great work on sin and justification by faith.

True! The Passion of the Christ was "off" as well as the oldie, The Ten Commandments. Hollywood is no fan of Christianity and will skew and distort the truth at every opportunity.

Nevertheless, Paul's life was amazing. He founded more churches than all of the other Apostles and wrote the majority of the New Testament (via the calling of the Holy Spirit). Great, great spiritual leader.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Paul is the first one who said that Jesus became a curse. It's blasphemy. Christians should never tolerate that if they really love Jesus.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Paul is the first one who said that Jesus became a curse. It's blasphemy. Christians should never tolerate that if they really love Jesus.
We tolerate cursing. We do not tolerate: beheadings, suicide bombers, genitalia mutilations, beatings of wives, stoning, crucifixions, impaling, acid on people faces, mutilations of all kinds. burning people alive in cages, etc.... you know, all that a good Muslim wishes on others.

We do not condone cursing, but we tolerate it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
We tolerate cursing. We do not tolerate: beheadings, suicide bombers, genitalia mutilations, beatings of wives, stoning, crucifixions, impaling, acid on people faces, mutilations of all kinds. burning people alive in cages, etc.... you know, all that a good Muslim wishes on others.

We do not condone cursing, but we tolerate it.
May God bless Jesus..Amen :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Another Apostle Paul fan-boy
I said it before, many times
My opinion is that if you are a gentile Christian
Paul was sent by Jesus to you specifically
To help you
To teach you
To guide you
In the name of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ
So spend the majority of you time Bible reading what Paul wrote...to you

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
May God bless Jesus..Amen :mad:
May Jesus bless you and open your heart to Him (Jesus) the Creator of all.

1.In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was with God in the beginning.
3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.
5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
6 There was a man sent from God whose name was John.
7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe.
8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.
9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world.
10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.
11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him.
12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—
13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.
14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts

Where did Paul describe Christ as "a curse?"

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
I do not feel like Google right now,
But it goes something like
Cursed is he who hangs on a tree
i.e. Jesus was cursed for our sins and hung on a cross
It is Bibical, but off the top of my head
I cannot say that Paul repeated it
It would not surprise me as it stands for our Salvation and the untimate price That Jesus paid

·
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12
20,320 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Apostle Paul!
How could anyone know about the life of the Apostle Paul and not be a fan?

The guy was a fanatic, in the truest sense, a divinely inspired fanatic. Most people fit religion in around their life. For Paul, telling people the Good News was his life, and he fit such things as eat, sleeping, keeping warm, earning a living around that.

I have an outstanding audiobook collection from Intelliquest on Biographies of the World's 100 Greatest People. This covers all kinds of human endeavors, including religious leaders. They credit St. Paul with nothing less than the spread of Christianity from an obscure outpost of the Roman Empire.

·
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12
20,320 Posts
May Jesus bless you and open your heart to Him (Jesus) the Creator of all.

1.In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
Thank you for reminding me with this post that Alive is a Muslim apologist.

While you are often an Orthodox troll, we are nevertheless brothers in Christ. This guy, Alive, he is our enemy to pray for huh?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts