Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you ever read Patriots? I first read it back in 1997 when it was freely distributed on the internet under the title "Tripple Ought'.

When it finnaly went to print under the title "Patriots" I bought a hard copy to support Mr. Rawles and to thank him for a good read.

I just went back and re-read it again (Have read it three or times over the years). And I have to hand it to him, it was pretty accurate about some of the things going on with our economy NOW.

Slightly different scnario, but too many parallels IMHO. Kinda scary.....

The main benefit of this fictional story is that it has lots of great info about survival ideas presented in a format that will most certainly keep you stuck to it like glue.

I urge everyone who has even the slighest inclination to be a "survivalist" to get a copy of and read this book ! Then keep a copy in your bug out bag.

You can find it on Amazon and the like for about $25. Worth 100x the price IMHO:thumb:!

·
Registered
475 Posts
"Patriots" is a great story certainly paralells can be drawn between it and today.
I t prompted us to form a group where before we thought the best means of surviving would be independently.

Good Stuff

·
Salad Shooter
300 Posts
I read it and loved it! My brother, a friend and his dad read it after I was done. I'd recommend it too.

It's not just a good book but I took several ideas for my own preps.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Got a signed book.
Also read it when it had another name on a floppy, 5" disk (If I remember correctly), that I sent him $5.oo for, way back.

Wish I could find it, but don't have a machine that would take it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I menetioned it in my first post it was called "Tripple Ought" or the more famous title "TEOTWAWKI ". First time I heard the acronym was when reading it. there may have been another title, Mr. Rawles went through several iterations of the book before he was able to have it published.

Adn get this, my dog ate my first printed copy. Love my dog to death, but sometimes he's a SH**Head....eh, dogs will be dogs I suppose......He's still the best burglar alarm you can get !

·
Mountain Critter
914 Posts
The very first version that was available online was called The Grey '90s, and I have it on an old hard drive somewhere. Gave my printed copy to somebody and never got it back. Rawles added a bunch of material between that edition and TEOTWAWKI, anyway, like the "Lawyers, Guns and Money" chapter that was loosely based on the Kehoe brothers...

Great book, and the scenario that he lays out as far as the initial reason for the collapse pretty closely resembles what we're seeing right now with the economy, don't you think?

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Reading it a second time. Just finished the hit on the bikers with the Templars and the first community fair after the crash.
Pity the guys who stocked up on odd, exotic ammo.:( It's like I said; 12gauge, 30-06, .223 for rilfe/shotguns and 9mm, 45 acp and maybe .40 for pistols.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Read it...interesting, though a bit unrealistic IMO... I don't have the budget those folks in the books do... I am in my early 30's have a few kids and have a sub-$100,000/year income...obviously I don't fit into JWR's "prepper world"

·
Registered
7 Posts
I loved the content, but hated the writing. I read it cover-to-cover because it contained good info but it read like somebody's shopping list. I wish I had not thrown it away now, I would have sent it to someone here for free.

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

·
Small Burrowing Creature
1,990 Posts
If anyone would like to examine the style of Rawles, there's a freebie screenplay "Pulling Through" for download here: http://www.rawles.to/Screenplay.html

Mitch
Is that based on Rawles or on Dean Ing's 1983 book Pulling Through that had instructions on how to do air filtration and bicycle powered generators and stuff like that?

I'm gonna have to get another copy of Ing's book (instead of stealing my dad's) and now I'll look for Rawles's as well. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts