Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Trust ***, Prep To Serve
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will make this as simple of a question as I can. If I buy a box of pasta and stick it on the "prep" shelf in my dry, cool (55-65*) basement and walk away how long would it last before it's useless or harmful nutritionally?

Same with a bag of beans?

I've searched on this forum and simply can not find the specific answer (or consensus of thought).

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Probably good for at least 5 years.

Store it in something that can keep out O2 (remove most with an O2 absorber) and it increases dramatically to 25-30 years.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,996 Posts
If you don't beef up your packaging in some way the question won't be "how long can I store it", but "how long before it's full of bugs or mice".

At the very, very least you need to put those packages in ziplock bags and seal.

I'd be more inclined to vacuum-pack them (with the aforementioned O2 absorber) and then throw them in a galvanized metal can with a tight-fitting lid (a plastic tub at the absolute minimum but that won't keep determined rodents out).

Beans will last longer than pasta without special packaging, bugs and rodents aside.

Cool, and dry are good. Cool, dry and DARK is best.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you can keep the mice & weevils out of it and keep it away from any moisture at all I would figure 3-4 years if just left in the box with no other protection.The box of pasta in my kitchen right now has a best by date of May 2014.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
If you want long term storage, dump that pasta into a mylar bag, throw in an oxygen absorber and seal.

·
Brains???
443 Posts
Wife just brought home pasta from the grocery store yesterday. The type that comes in the plastic packaging and it had a "best by" date on it of 2 years in the regular packaging.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Besides storing pasta in 5gal. buckets, I also store a bunch for shorter term (couple years or so), portioned for my family's needs into ziploc freezer bags, and placed into plastic Sterilite containers. I mark the bag with the exp. date. I recently came across an overlooked bag of elbows that was several years past the expiration date and figured I'd give them a try. They were fine, except- they took longer to cook.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
There is pasta and there is pasta. Pasta usually has some fat in it. Choosing the lowest fat pasta and it would keep "forever". I've found opened bags long time expired totally edible. I also found and old, higher fat pasta that was not opened but rancid. Sure you don't get food poisoning from rancid fat, but it's not very nice and not good in the long run.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
I regularly have pasta and beans sit in my cupboard for 2-3 years and it's fine. I wouldn't want to push much past that. Beans will begin to harden over time so that they can't be cooked soft. And pasta does go downhill in taste, texture and nutrition.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I too buy alot of pasta on sale and immediately vacume pack it in bags, fragle pasta like noodles gets vacuum packed in jars or it breaks into tiny pieces when vacuum bagged. I found that pastas that have sharp edges need to be put in baggies first and then into the vacuum bags to avoid punctures.
I vacuum seal everything as soon as possible, especially if it is in boxes, bags I snip open and then into a sealer bag, by snipping the inner bag, all the oxygen is sucked out of it too! I figure this will keep it fresher longer and that is the object! Then I put the bags down into a bucket.
Sorry, but it is a guessing game how long stuff will last past the experation date as every item/brand may keep differently.

I have mentioned this before but wether you use mylar bags or foodsaver bags, these need to be checked regularly to make sure everything has stayed sealed.

PS: Speedofl33t, I didn't know pasta's had different fat contents, can you recommend the best brands to buy? Since I repacked all my pasta, I can't compare fat contents til I go to the store again, thanks

·
Registered
318 Posts
every week i find pasta on sale at my local grocery store, 10 boxes for $10. right now i'm up to about 50 pounds. i bought a bunch of 1 gallon mylar bags along with 20 or so 300cc o2 absorbers. as storage space is now becoming a slight concern with all these boxes, i'll be repacking them into the mylar and putting them in some buckets once my lady lets me borrow her hair straightener - my only method of heat sealing at the moment.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I will make this as simple of a question as I can. If I buy a box of pasta and stick it on the "prep" shelf in my dry, cool (55-65*) basement and walk away how long would it last before it's useless or harmful nutritionally?

Same with a bag of beans?

I've searched on this forum and simply can not find the specific answer (or consensus of thought).

Thanks.
if stored properly probably longer than most people after teotwawki.

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,996 Posts
weevils are edible are they not? not pleasant, I am sure, but juicy bits of protein after they have eaten your pasta. boil them up with the pasta and call them beans
It's not the weevils so much (well, yea, they are, kinda but SHTF maybe less so :D:) but those webby things are a deal-breaker ... :xeye: Bleech ... :D:

·
Registered
310 Posts
all it takes if for one mouse to start nibbling at your food stuff, and they'll nibble at everything...zip locks will not stop them....

and little bugs is another thing....

freeze your pasta for 2 weeks is my advice....then I have been using exclusively glass jars....I have some 3 gallon ones...I fill them carefully while they are on their sides, and add oxygen absorbers...
beans and rice need the same treatment....protect from bugs and mice...

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
O2 absorbers takes care of insect worries. And you can add food grade diatomaceous earth for continuing protection after you open them. But neither do anything about rodents of course. Even a bucket won't keep a determined rodent out. They can chew through almost anything.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Pest control should be a part of normal preps, especially if you live in a city or in an environment with especially nasty critters (I do. I swear everything is poisonous). Mouse traps are cheap and can be reset. As a bonus, you can eat the mouse.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Those weevils can turn a box of spaghetti into a pile of yucky flour. We have a real problem with them here. I can no longer buy pasta for long term storage. Freezing, vac sealing, nothing kills the little buggers. I had a huge infestation in the house from them. Now we get sporadic outbreaks, but I had to dump over 100 lbs of flour and at least that much pasta, not counting cake mixes and the like. HATE the little buggers!!! I can buy a box or two a month for normal consumption, but that's it. Nothing else in boxes is coming in this house for long term storage. I'll pay the extra and buy it in the #10 cans for LTS. Same with flour (only buy wheat for LTS) and get a 5 lb bag for the canister on the counter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts