Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
My wife's been dragging me, kicking and screaming, through our estate planning. We have wills in a fancy binder now, and all that. Kudos to her for being the responsible one.

The most painful part, for me, was providing the password for my password vault. All of my passwords go into my vault (which is just an encrypted file on my laptop and an app) and the vault password gives access to all of its contents. I take my information security pretty seriously, and giving someone else that password felt like cutting my own wrists.

I wrote the password and brief instructions for using the vault app on a notecard and taped it to the inside back cover of our will. That satisfied my wife.

I tell myself that an adversary would have to get their hands on our will, find the notecard, and then come acquire physical access to my laptop to make use of it. That's not as high a barrier as I would like, but it's something.
There are apps you can put on your PC, Mac, and smart phone that essentially do the same thing. Keepass is one, then you can have it automanically backup to Dropbox and it will update across all devices. You just need to remember or record one password for posterity. I do keep a hard copy of passwords to my investment accounts in a safe, those will be the most important for my family in the event of my demise.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts