Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Resident Ninja
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to get an amateur radio license for a few years now and never took the time to get the material and study. I actually made it a goal and put it on my to-do list this past winter, but just made every excuse not to pick up the materials and putforth the effort. Pure laziness, honestly.

Finally made it a point to study consistently over the course of the last two and a half weeks or so. I took the test this morning and passed the Tech exam with one incorrect question! I did not bother to look at any of the General class study material because I did not want to get too overwhelmed. I figure, one thing at a time. I didn't want to confuse myself or simply feel too bombarded. Now that I've got the Tech class license, I can putforth the time and effort to study the General class study materials. I am dying to try out the HF frequency bands and do some DX'ing.

It feels great to finally get this accomplishment under my belt! I'm even more excited to go back in a few months and attempt to get my General class upgrade!

I'll be joining a local amateur radio club in the coming weeks once my callsign is posted on the FCC ULS database. I did get in touch with another longtime member of the local club who seems to be very nice. I'm meeting up with him and the club's local Field Day event next week Saturday and I am pumped!! He said he would show me around and introduce me to a few of the other members as well as show me the rigs he'll be using at Field Day. It's nice to know I've already got someone taking me under their wing, so to speak.

I'm also going to be gaining additional information from the gentleman who runs our local county's ARES/RACES committee. It's another part of the hobby that I'm intrigued about or at least want to obtain more information.

Now... I get to do the best part of all. Radio and antenna research. :D: I hope you chat with you guys over the airwaves in the near future! Just wanted to share my good news!

·
Resident Ninja
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys!!

What really interests me is it's the kinda hobby that enables you to constantly continue learning. There's SO much information...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Congratulations PSYS! You've just entered a hobby that will stick with you. Upgrade to General as soon as you can. You'll open the door to many exciting and fun adventures. :thumb:

·
Registered
69 Posts
tech exam

Congrats on your new license...i am working on extra... just need to get busy and get it done.. uhf and vhf are fun.. but get your general or extra ,you will love the low bands!!!

73's
RoHo

·
Resident Ninja
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, guys!! I really appreciate it... I'm looking forward to using my privileges but am even more excited to get my General (hopefully sooner than later)

Grats!! Just got my call sign!

I saw your thread, bdc! Looks like you decided to do some studying about the same time that I did! :D:

Congrats to both of us!

·
Dios y Tejas
6,689 Posts
Thanks, guys!! I really appreciate it... I'm looking forward to using my privileges but am even more excited to get my General (hopefully sooner than later)
I saw your thread, bdc! Looks like you decided to do some studying about the same time that I did! :D:
Congrats to both of us!
I wish all persons that are reading these HAM testing threads realize NOT ONE PERSON has failed either the Tech or the General on the FIRST SITTING. Just devote 30 minutes a nite reading and taking the practise exams on qrz.com and passing the exams within one month is almost a certainty. Look back on past threads and you will see, it's not that hard.

·
Resident Ninja
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wish all persons that are reading these HAM testing threads realize NOT ONE PERSON has failed either the Tech or the General on the FIRST SITTING. Just devote 30 minutes a nite reading and taking the practise exams on qrz.com and passing the exams within one month is almost a certainty. Look back on past threads and you will see, it's not that hard.
I concur.

Just a bit of time each evening will almost guarantee you pass. I can't sit here and say that was common knowledge for me because it wasn't. I don't know jack squat about electric current or antennas or frequency bands... but study the sections and take the practice tests. Getting your license will be inevitable. :thumb:

·
Amateur / Extra Class
122 Posts
Just came back from tonight's exam session. Passed the Technician :)
Next stop ... General (need more studying).

Just devote 30 minutes a nite reading and taking the practise exams on qrz.com and passing the exams within one month is almost a certainty. Look back on past threads and you will see, it's not that hard.
That's exactly how I did it Sky. Thanks for the good advice.

·
Resident Ninja
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been checking the FCC ULS database just about every hour on the hour at work since yesterday. Haha. I know I just took the exam on Monday, but I've read on a few other amateur radio sites that in certain cases, it has taken less than a week for new callsigns to be generated.

·
Registered
524 Posts
As long as the VE's are on top of their game, a week is pretty much the baseline for sure. If memory serves, in the case of my original tech license, and my general upgrade, both were tests on a Saturday, with ULS updates by Thursday/Friday. Same deal with a friend who got their tech at the same session where I upgraded.

I hope they're still moving nice and fast since I'll be dragging a couple friends to a field day test session this Saturday for their first tests!

No matter how quick they DO get ya in there, it's NEVER quick enough though! =)

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,986 Posts
////////////

congrats and good luck :thumb:

·
Forewarned is Forearmed
949 Posts
Congradulations. I've had mine for over two years now. To be honest I really don't know if it was a waste of time or not. Bought a Yaseu handheld and I've never been able to talk to anyone on it. Listened in on a few conversations when I first got it but never talked to anyone. I even went to a Ham Club meeting in my area to see if anyone could help me learn to use it. Nothing. Most of the beople were between 60-80 years old and knew nothing about my fancy new handheld. OMG............ It's collecting dust now. :(

·
Dios y Tejas
6,689 Posts
Congradulations. I've had mine for over two years now. To be honest I really don't know if it was a waste of time or not. Bought a Yaseu handheld and I've never been able to talk to anyone on it. Listened in on a few conversations when I first got it but never talked to anyone. I even went to a Ham Club meeting in my area to see if anyone could help me learn to use it. Nothing. Most of the beople were between 60-80 years old and knew nothing about my fancy new handheld. OMG............ It's collecting dust now. :(
It's alot different up in the HF Bands, I think. There are open nets about every 2 hours that you can just transmit your call sign and they will include you in the conversation, even as a first timer. These nets want high numbers of check-ins.
I'm not a VHF/UHF guy, but maybe if you contact your local ARES team, you can recieve better help. Usually those guys keep up with the newest equipment. Also you can go to the next upcoming HAMFEST in your area. You may be able to meet some people that way

1 - 20 of 35 Posts