Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this will get moved to the book section eventually, as it is basically a book review, but I figured it is a wilderness topic as well.

I am about halfway through Participating in Nature by Thomas Elpel. I have to say, this is an awesome book devoted to teaching wilderness skills!

It is different than other texts as it is written more like a journey, than a factual textbook. I can hardly put it down!! It is very informative too!! It teaches survival techniques in an easy, progressive, well organised, step by step manor with plenty of written and pictorial examples!!

I think I know why my Bow Drill attempts have not been working so far. The key to maybe solving the problem is in the chapter on fire. I am going to have to experiment next spring to see if I found the fix!!

Anyway, I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in wilderness survival, and living off the land.

http://www.hopspress.com/Videos/Art_of_Nothing.htm

·
devil's advocate
162 Posts
Oooh, I've read the articles on that site, they're all very good! (I really want to make the tire sandals!) Hmm, I must look for the book now. :3

·
V
21,713 Posts
I've read "Primitive Living, Self Sufficency and Survival Skills" also by Thomas J.Elpel and if I'm honest its the worst book I've ever read on the subject it was a real slog to get through. I got the feeling he was trying to write in a similar style to Nessmuk in "Woodcraft and Camping" but failed to pull it off.

"My friend the rock invites me to sit a while" what the hell???

The actual information in "Primitive Living, Self Sufficency and Survival Skills" wasnt anything that couldnt be found in anyone of a number of "Survival manuals" without the grind to find the information. I'm glad your having more luck in "Participating in Nature" but I'll steer clear of him as an author.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
His book "Botany in a Day" is also excellent. It is a very clear, concise, easy to understand text book for beginners. It teaches the pattern method of identifying plants. Many consider it essential reading for budding botanists.

Mastering it puts you ahead of the curve when you graduate to other texts. It is a great way to build the essential foundation.

·
devil's advocate
162 Posts
I've read "Primitive Living, Self Sufficency and Survival Skills" also by Thomas J.Elpel and if I'm honest its the worst book I've ever read on the subject it was a real slog to get through. I got the feeling he was trying to write in a similar style to Nessmuk in "Woodcraft and Camping" but failed to pull it off.

"My friend the rock invites me to sit a while" what the hell???

The actual information in "Primitive Living, Self Sufficency and Survival Skills" wasnt anything that couldnt be found in anyone of a number of "Survival manuals" without the grind to find the information. I'm glad your having more luck in "Participating in Nature" but I'll steer clear of him as an author.
LOL
I think his style is good because it's entertaining and colorful to read. I sometimes have a short attention span so I wouldn't just read through a regular survival instruction book... the info sticks a lot better, for me, if it's kind of in story/personal-experience format rather than just hard facts. But if you have a low wilderness-spirituality-naturalist-mumbo-jumbo tolerance level, I can see how it might not work for you.

·
V
21,713 Posts
LOL
I think his style is good because it's entertaining and colorful to read. I sometimes have a short attention span so I wouldn't just read through a regular survival instruction book... the info sticks a lot better, for me, if it's kind of in story/personal-experience format rather than just hard facts. But if you have a low wilderness-spirituality-naturalist-mumbo-jumbo tolerance level, I can see how it might not work for you.
:D: I get the style it worked well for "nessmuk" just this guy went off a bit too flowery for me. I wouldnt say I have a "a low wilderness-spirituality-naturalist-mumbo-jumbo tolerance level" as thats the reasons I first started going out in the woods so many moons ago. I personaly just found it a hard slog to get through his writing.
To each thier own if it works for you great :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts