Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK I am looking for suggestions, designs and ect...

I am a poor so I cannot afford all these underground shelters... What I am looking for is a bunker that I can store supplies, and additonally house a couple of people when needed and have an addition for a root cellar.

Majority of the time, we will be above ground in tents, shelters or what not. The main principal is for stowage but can be utilized for defense if needed. And yes it has to be able to withstand a tornado....

What I was thinking was an old underground sandbag bunker, the sand bags would be outside of the frame work which will consist of pressure treated 4x4's framing every two feet, and 3/4 plywood. Roof will be same PT 4x4, plywood and corigated (Sp?) metal on top, there will be some dirt, mostly for camoflauge purposes, so maybe a foot thick. Sides will have rock, then dirt. Floor will be on rock, then PT 4x4 with plywood.

This is pretty basic in design... looking for any and all suggestions please.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Look at what people built for war shelters in the US. People made some increible bunkers in the backyards for cheap. My late grandfather built one in the early 50's: it's still standing strong and usrable today.

·
USArmy Vietnam Vet 70-73
997 Posts
the 50's before inflation? when a quarter was worth 25 cents , now worth about .05.
So what costs 3000.k then about 20K plus now?
But yes you can do a good one if you do some yourself , I'd say 12k to 15K

·
Avoidance & Deterrence
2,832 Posts
There are places where you can buy and have delivered a big concrete box. these are used by utility companies for a number of uses like telephone/ power/water switching/valves etc. Not too big but it is a instant bunker, hell the concrete company may build storm cellars which is about the same thing.

If you have time and wood, you can build some very impressive wood/Earth bunkers WWII style.

Cinder block while worthless as armor (AK & .308 go right through) you can build the underground parts with cinder block but the part above ground can be steel reinforced concrete with several feet of dirt protecting the weaker (and less expensive) cinder block.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
There was another thread where someone used 2 1000 gallon open top septic tanks. 1 inverted over the other. I think he said he spent $500 having it delivered and set into place.

I can't find the thread, but it was active just a couple days ago.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Use polybags to build the walls (I got 1000 18"X30" bags for $300.00 and change). You can use these just like sandbags, or you can use a sand/clay mixture (adobe), or mix some Portland cement with the sand (mix it dry, it will draw moisture and harden on its own). For a roof you can use railroad ties (makes for quite small rooms), bridge timbers (if you can find them, makes larger rooms). Conversely, if you have the equipment to handle them, you can also make some precast, reinforced concrete slabs (made like ship-lap so you can place a sealant in the joints) that you can then lift into place; with center reinforcement poles and beams, you can make some fairly large rooms in this manner. Casting a roof in place would pretty much require a professional installation, is quite costly, and is not something you would want to tackle on your own.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts

I am a poor so I cannot afford all these underground shelters... What I am looking for is a bunker that I can store supplies, and additonally house a couple of people when needed and have an addition for a root cellar.

Majority of the time, we will be above ground in tents, shelters or what not. The main principal is for stowage but can be utilized for defense if needed. And yes it has to be able to withstand a tornado....

What I was thinking was an old underground sandbag bunker, the sand bags would be outside of the frame work which will consist of pressure treated 4x4's framing every two feet, and 3/4 plywood. Roof will be same PT 4x4, plywood and corigated (Sp?) metal on top, there will be some dirt, mostly for camoflauge purposes, so maybe a foot thick. Sides will have rock, then dirt. Floor will be on rock, then PT 4x4 with plywood.

Sand bags are expensive and very labor intensive..They also rot....Lots of options mentioned on this forum....You can do it..:thumb:

·
Soulless Ginger
391 Posts
Keep an eye on Craigs list in your area. All kinds of free stuff from bricks to blocks, Ply wood, fencing ect. . You dont have to rich to build something good.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,663 Posts

Good you are at least considering building an underground shelter / bunker.

I highlighted the 2 paragraphs that I totally agree with and what I have also done and still do on my remote mtn survival retreat in Wyoming.

An underground shelter and or a defensible bunker does NOT have to cost much. Before I added 250 eighty pound bags of concrete my bunker / underground shelter cost about $100 to build since I used logs and rocks from my land, salvaged materials such as steel beams and steel doors from an abandoned factory and I also used these plans > http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p933.htm the drawings / plans are at the bottom of that link.

And here is the thread with the most info and pics about bunkers and underground shelters. The first couple posts are mostly pics on how I built mine. But throughout this long thread there are many pics and links to others bunkers, shelters, even a root cellar > the Everything about Bunkers thread >>> http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=107463

I have always wanted an underground shelter for protection from storms, mainly tornadoes and for all kinds of protection from potential raiders, wild animals such as a bear and even from any kind of future problems which only one's imagination will limit them.
I also thought even in the early 1980's that Why should the rich and the government be the only ones to have bunkers and underground shelters?? So I read, studied and finally built my own!
I use my bunker mainly for a good secure locked storage area but I also sleep and live in it when it snows in October. There are two woodstoves inside the bunker.

Any questions, just ask in a message or post in the Everything about Bunkers thread... or even in this thread although after June first I will be unavailable since I will be on my way back up to my mtn retreat and not sure if or when I will be back on the net.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I read something about using sacks of cement, just stack the sacks and soak them with a hose, it's an easy way to build a wall. If you want you can drive rebar down through the stacked bags before you soak them. Easy and bulletproof.

·
Sped Man
1,542 Posts
Look at what people built for war shelters in the US. People made some increible bunkers in the backyards for cheap. My late grandfather built one in the early 50's: it's still standing strong and usrable today.
Very true! I have seen a couple. Most are built either in the back yard or in the basement. I have seen one where the owner dug a bomb shelter underneath his basement. The door to the underground shelter was hidden. Once it was opened you went down a wooden ladder to the bomb shelter which was about another 15 feet below the basement. It must have took him months to dig it out. What determination! He didn't pay someone $150k to build it. With today's tools it should take half the time it took him to build. Especially now that they rent virtually every tool you can imagine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts