Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While climbing out of a ravine with my Chevy one day I lost traction. I had one front and one rear spinning. I remembered back on the farm when I lost traction with the tractor I would apply the brake of the side that was spinning and fool the other side into thinking it had traction so it would lock up and I would have power to both sides. So I rode the parking brake enough for the differential to lockup and climbed right out. This is something that can be very valuable especially if your driving a 4x2.
I have been thinking about putting a locker in the front differential.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Look into an air locker for the front diff.
I had one on my old CJ and loved it.
There are a lot of pros and cons on air lockers... the biggest is the compressor that is needed to operate them... extra equipment under the hood, extra electrical load more to go wrong, the airlines commonly fail...
But then you have to consider that if it is set up correctly you also now have built in tire inflator...
Personally I prefer an E-locker as they are less complex and much more reliable in the long run. There are also limited slip units that work real nice too. Check them all out before you decide on any one and talk with people who use them in the area you are in. For example with the air lockers, the biggest cause of failure is operation in extreme cold, between moisture in the lines freezing (I had this happen) and rupturing the lines and the lines stiffening up due to extreme cold, Air lockers are not always the best choice even though they are used more than any other setup by vehicle manufacturers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts