Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Head lice, other body lice, tapeworms, roundworms, fleas, ticks, skeeters, roaches, scorpions (not around central il but I know some of you suffer from them), mice, rats, etc... do your preps take into account that many more problems will be had by poorer sanitation and disposal? If so what are you doing about it?
I have traps, sprays, shampoos amd lotions, powders, poisons, etc stockpiled. I am thinking some nice lice shampoo will be a good barter item in a few months after the water goes out and the survivors of initial strife are good and infested! :thumb:

·
Registered
33,304 Posts
interesting-

I do have poison for mice in my storage room, everything is put in containers they can't get into but this might be a good barter item. You are right, I would suspect there
would in a huge increase of these critters when tshtf

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Probably your biggest prep for this is going to stay sanitary. Get a plan in place to rid yourself of all of your waste (including feces,urine etc.) And that should deal with a majority of your issue. Sprays and traps are only reactionary measures, if you are proactively keeping the feeding and breeding areas of vermin in check you won't have issues.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,116 Posts
I haven't bought the lice treatment yet, but I plan to stock some. Right now I have a LOT of diatomaceous earth and boric acid, a few jugs of insecticide and a tank sprayer (I don't garden totally organic yet), and some mice baits. With the boric acid, you can easily make ant and roach baits. We do have scorpions here, but they're not much of a bother. If they become so, spray or boric acid around the thresholds will take care of them.

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,825 Posts
Good idea on the body bug preps. We have plenty of traps and cats, but the tiniest little critters will probably be the biggest killers. Even if you and yours have good sanitation, there's no guarantee that the folks you run into at Bartertown will. Got me thinking about siege warfare, too, where they'd just lob a dead cow over your castle walls with a trebuchet. Run away!

·
Gun Luvin Hippie
231 Posts
Stock up on chemicals that deter rodent's/insects and have other uses.

Boric acid or Borax Soap was mentioned earlier. It makes good hand soap and laundry soap, insect/rodent deterrent, good for tanning hides, flux for gas welding and blacksmithing.

Lime is another rodent/insect deterrent with infinite other uses. Quick lime can be used to make concrete or plaster. Slake lime is critical for gardening. I've used lime to kill mold in between walls and damp corners.

These are the chemicals I have positive experience with, I'm sure there's other useful chemicals but I prefer the more mineral based approach vs. complex petroleum distillates etc.

If your looking for poison consider planting the Castor Plant. It has many uses and the beans are highly poisonous.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I'd probably prep mice and rats just like I would a squirrel. Scorpions you just cut the stinger off and the rest is edible.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Taking the steps to prevent this event is a lot easier then chasing the critters down once they have established themselves.

We have cats for mice and other small rodents. We have no trouble with them. We feed our cats very little as they are full from their nightly hunts.

We have a dog for larger animals. We feed her well and treat her like family. She is very good at her job.

In the case of lice, I plan on keeping my hair very short if the shtf. I will be decluttering my home from every thing that is not essential. Clutter makes house keeping difficult under the best of times.

I grow a lot of garlic and eat it on a daily basis. This helps with health and internal worms in the system. My animals get garlic in their meals on a daily basis.

Especially in trying times, we need to pay attention to our health on a daily basis. If we are healthy and stay that way, we have better control of our situation. Keeping healthy means that your decisions will be of a sound nature. Our mind and our body need to work at its best during a shtf situation.

Good luck.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Havahart trap is the most humane way to deal with rats and mice.

See this thread about using a havahart trap for rats.

I have a building that has a lot of mice and rats in it. A feral cat has been staying there and I suspect he has been helping with the mice, but the rats are still a problem.

I heard that minnow traps are good for mice, so I am doing a side by side comparison between a havahart trap and minnow trap. Both are baited with peanut butter.

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
For head lice: use conditioner after you wash your hair, let sit for 10 minutes, and comb your hair under the shower. Conditioner dissolves the glue that holds the egg against the hair and both eggs and lice will be combed out of the now-slippery hair. Rinse lice comb after every sweep.

Bed bugs: pioneers used to light a candle to attract the bed bugs and pick them up with the edge of a stiff feather and shake them into a container of kerosene. During Victorian times the housewife would shake out the mattresses and bedding every day and then wipe down the frame of the bed. They did not say why but it was expected that every bed be done every day. I suspect it was bed bug control.

(Back then mattresses were not stiff: from the description I read they sounded more like big pads than modern mattresses)

Edited to add: mice. I left a pail with a couple of inches of water in it next to a cart, and a mouse could get in to drink but not get out. While I hate to think of even a mouse dying a slow death, this would make an effective rodent trap. Some water, floating food (Some fish food floats) and put it next to something a rodent can climb.

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,681 Posts
Rodents out here in the West sometimes (often) carry Bou bonic plague. No eating rodents in the west. And even rabbits are suspect for valley fever or tuleremia. Bad outbreak of that in Colorado this last year. But all are good reasons to take extra precautions. Remember flea and lice treatments for pets and small livestock.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
I have eaten mouse several times on assorted survival courses I have been on. No big as long as it is well cooked.

Rat I have eaten once; same as mouse...cook it well.

As to dealing with pests and infestations after the event? Yeah, I started stocking stuff for that purpose years ago. It will be a real issue. Knowing what they like, how hey operate, how they transmit, and all that is very useful to learn. I took a course to get a permit as a pesticide dispenser years ago, and it opened my eyes to a lot of stuff I changed around my house right after...certain thing are like an open invitation to rodents, insects, and the like...dealing with those things, in advance, makes a HUGE difference.

On the one hand, doing everything you can to maintain good hygiene will be key. That means routine personal hygiene regimes, clothes cleaning, house cleaning and the like. This will be crucial.

It will also be more difficult without all the modern conveniences like steam cleaners, vacuums, and a store with all the needed supplies.

I stock a lot of stuff for human, clothing, and house cleaning not to mention pets and other animals. I think that such things will be essential. It will be your first layer of defense.

The second layer of defense is traps and such to kill the critters that do show up. Knowing how to properly use it and to dispose of the results after are also important parts of the equation. You have to make sure you can not only limit secondary exposures but sanitize/decontaminate after cleaning up...you don't want to be getting rid of rats in traps and bring in fleas or worse....

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have had the unfortunate experience if getting head lice in a hospital waiting room. These are the new improved version that laughs at Rid and other OTC preps. I had to get a prescription lice killer and even then it was a battle.
Also remember that when you are hunting and time permits allow the game to cool so the fleas leave the animal before bringing back to the home site. Be very careful of ticks, some years they are very bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts