Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Through Knowledge, Peace
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there parents, we are expecting our first child in May and I am trying to be as prepared as possible but I feel that we may come up short somehow someway so I figured i would ask you all for any advice that I may not have thought about?

We had a baby shower a couple weeks ago and pulled in quite the haul of stuff, but I feel like there could be a lot that I am missing.

I have read a couple books, and done a good amount of due diligence but I am still unsure.

I did a search and read the few "babies and survival" threads here and learned about alternative sources to milk in the event of SHTF, and also learned to keep lots of cloth diapers and pins on hand.

anything else??? Times a tickin' ! :D: :eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just welcomed my first kid in Dec 2015, I've gone through this exact process.

Get unrefined coconut oil, it's great for baby as a diaper rash chemical substitute, works wonders on Mom's breasts/nipples if she is breast feeding, and for Dad's is fantastic b/c your hands will dry out like mad - b/c you'll be washing your hands nonstop.

As far as the diapers, cloth is very high maintenance. You will need a LOT of water and soap to clean them. Depending on your planning (are you looking to survive a week, month, year??), buying diapers in bulk in various sizes is the route I went. 2-3 boxes of each size, keep the receipts, all set.

We also buy wipes in bulk from Sams, along with the "germ-x" type hand sanitizer.

·
Purposeful Prepper
1,931 Posts
This is what I learned on my own regarding kids.

The richness you have in life comes from the relationships you have with others, especially your kids. They are the most significant project you will ever undertake.

This is what I have learned about kids from others.

Small kids are like small plants, they will do better if you help them.

Be consistent with them, to be inconsistent is unfair to them.

They cannot always tell you what they need. If you observe them closely you can usually figure it out.

Your kids need you after they turn 18 just as much as before they turn 18. They just need you in different ways.

Take very good care of them and yourself.

It usually doesn't make much difference if you make a mistake, they grow up anyway.

Relax, and enjoy the experience.

·
I have control issues
7,095 Posts
Even if you PLAN on breastfeeding, stock some formula, just in case. "Stuff" happens. Sometimes, a woman is unable to produce the milk needed for the baby (It happened to my daughter) or she develops mastitis, rendering her unable to nurse the baby. (Happened to my mother.)

Diapers...I preferred cloth myself, but disposables DO have their place. Biggest problem with disposables in a SHTF situation is how are you going to dispose of them? There will NOT be any garbage pickup when the excrement hits the oscillating device.

Plenty of clothing in various sizes. Plan on saving outgrown clothing for future kids, sorted/labeled by size/gender. Little ones grow out of their clothes LONG before those clothes wear out. Same with shoes and socks.

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
You think you got problems, gal next door is 42, airhead, alone, and had her first. No, not interested, thanks...

Raised one of my own and 2 others.
BUY USED STUFF FOR A DIME ON THE DOLLAR. If you're rich forget this and just send me the money.
Cloth diapers are cool.
Go to costco and get a bunch of the disposables your best friend used for hers. Just do it.
Babies love sheepskins.
Get the little kangaroo carry thing they face forward in.
And the wind up swing.
The lightest little umbrella stroller all the Chinese use is the best one.
Kids can learn to shoot a pellet pistol as early as 4. Clear the house first...
This one is important. Sacrifice so you can live somewhere with good people, and people like what you want your child to be.
I grew up in the ghetto. You never completely lose it. I worked 400 hours overtime a year and bought a dump of a house in a great school district so mine would not have to. If you fail on this, your kid is toast.
Feed them what you eat. It will improve your diet.
When your child is 3 get him a dog. The child will feed it whatever he doesn't like.
At puberty, or 12, whichever comes first, they go in their room and come out at 18. Don't panic, it's normal.
Under no circumstances have a white carpet, white couch, or car with white interior.
My favorite kid resistant house was mine in Mexico. All concrete and tile. After the hurricanes we would just hose the sand out, back down to the beach.

Oh, and life as you knew it is over.

Edit: If your child ever wants to marry an alien lifeform, make friends with it, and kill it quietly out in the desert...

Set limits on relatives interference. It's YOUR kid, not your mother's.
If your mother in law is a democrat, move to the other side of the country, or you'll have to kill her too.

If you teach them everything you can about the real world before 5 they will be ok.
If not they will learn from the infected and politically correct in school and you are hosed.

·
Start up the rotors
7,663 Posts
Father of five here.
Snakeranch has pretty much nailed it, the one thing I'd argue with is the stroller.
We bought a moderately higher priced stroller that got great reviews, and it saw us through five kids... with serious off road use, too. A good full sized stroller makes it easier to carry all the crap you're going to want to.
But do get the $20 umbrella stroller too, great for flying or whatever.

Used clothes rock.
Do not spend asking on clothes that your kid will not remember, and will grow out of in a matter of months. Used, borrowed, traded, etc... all good. People really overbuy on the 0-3 or 0-6 months stuff. It goes quick.
If the grandparents, friends, whatever, want to... so be it. Then take them to a consignment store and trade them in when they don't fit anymore.

If you're going to use cloth diapers, make sure your washer gets hot enough. Most don't, and you risk contamination.
IMHO cloth diapers are an expensive PITA (if you do it correctly), and we had way more rashes, and associated fussiness, etc... more hassle, more mess, more trouble. You don't need babies waking up more than they already do.
We have five. We used disposables for four and half. Think about that.
Oh, and the diaper genie? No effing way. Just an expensive, stinky, poop sausage maker. Skip it.
Boppie pillows are great. When nursing they allow the mom to rest more. Later, whey the baby is older, you can use the pillow to lay the baby in.

Do make sure you define "your" time. In-laws and friends can, though with best intentions, really put a demand on your time. And by your time, I mean mom's time... Let mom get as much rest as possible, and don't allow friends and family to manipulate. This is important, and mom needs way more rest and down time than you think. Down time with baby, just her, or you and her, is really important.

Also, feel free to have a schedule. If you're getting baby down by 7, then stick to it. It goes faster than you'd think, and if you don't stick to it you could end up hating life. Make sure you're looking out for number one. (and two, and baby...)

Most important. ENJOY!! This is precious, fleeting time. It is really an amazing and defining period, don't squander it jumping through hoops.

Congratulations, and make sure you're taking care of momma. Love on her, spoil her, and protect her. That's being a Dad. :thumb:

·
Forward, into the fray!
3,682 Posts
I had 7 of my own and everybody "loaned" me theirs as often as they could. I've got grandbabies now, so I guess I could be called experienced.

First and foremost, RELAX! Instinct (yours and baby's) is real, and you'll do ok. Remember, when they're screaming "I hate you", that you love them. They'll grow out of just about every Phase they get into.

Kids make messes. Get over it. The invention of a cleaning rag was more significant than the invention of the light bulb. And children come in wash and wear. Just clean it up and smile.

If some Grandma or Great Aunt tells you health information, ignore it. They do NOT need high ankle shoes to learn to walk, and whiskey on their gums for teething is criminal. Your doctor and his nurses are in the business because this is what they want to do. They don't mind if you call them.

Get one of those baby swings. It's the only way you'll get dinner cooked.

You do not need every gadget and baby thing under the sun. Crib bumpers and boppy rings and such are mostly money wasters. Poor folks who can't afford all that crap raise babies just fine without them.

I agree with the light-weight umbrella stroller. Some of those fancy-schmancy strollers won't even fit in your car! I had twins and just duct taped two umbrella ones together.

I'm sure to think of more later. :eek:

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
Barring health problems infants are easy
Right temperature , dry clean diaper, fed. Buy surplus diapers if nothing else they're barter items.
Boys are easier than girls as girls find thing wrong. boys find situations.
When they get old enough to ask questions get them a Memo book so they can write down the questions and they can be answered over a meal.

Get clothes at thrift shops and garage sales $50 for a pair of shoes is rediculous.

I taught the kids to add And subtract by playing dominos and black jack. You can get those cheap at garage sales.
Relax you'll be fine

·
All over Europe
3,360 Posts
We have three daughters, one son, six granddaughters. Buy a baby swing, the wind-up type or with a motor. Make sure the pushchair allows the child to face you, not in front. Put a small unbreakable mirror in the crib, because babies adore looking at themselves. A mobile above the crib should have faces looking down at the baby, not the bum of some cutesy animal. Think about the baby's angle of vision.

Never underestimate a baby's ability to pull herself upright in the crib. Keep the mattress inside, well down low.

Keep a decent supply of gripe water or whatever you wish to use when baby gets tummy cramps.

Before they could turn over on their own, mine all slept better with a towel propped behind them so they were slightly to one side when sleeping.

Children become more difficult with age. Babyhood is as easy as it gets.

Get a Snugli Or whatever passes for one now. Hands free shopping demands one. Besides, even the most fractious baby settles better if being carted about in a pouch on mum's stomach.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Kids 4 and 2 here. Single father. Little help.

Things I have found to be a blessing.
1) Rock-n-sleeper. It keeps the kid slightly inclined. Great for kids with bad stomachs or spit up a lot.
2) Co-sleeper. A mini bed that attaches to your bed so you have room, especially with your wife. Your wife won't have to get out of bed that what when it's feeding time in the middle of the night. She gets more sleep so you get more sleep. Everyone's happier and less crabby.
3) use disposable diapers on trips. If you use cloth diapers look at a diaper service. Used cloth for about 6 months and they charged $35/month for all the diapers we needed. We didn't need tot rinse, wash, or even dump the poo out of them. Just bag them and leave the bags (that they gave us) at the door and on Monday they were fresh clean folded diapers.
4) get formula. You will use it occasionally. Buy a "formula spinner". You can prefill a dispenser with the correct amount of formula. That way when you are on the road by yourself and the baby is hungry you just have to take the top off the bottle with water (pre filled) dump in formula, shake, and plug the kid.
5) lots of cheap receiving blankets to put down under the kid. They double as a place to change them, blow their noses, basicly the hankercheif/bandana for babies. 1001 uses.
6) baby wipes. Buy them in bulk. I still buy them and have them in every bag and car. If not for them them for me. Great for clean ups. I've taken red wine out of a white dress shirt with baby wipes. I think they have ground unicorn horn in them.
7) buy sturdy cloths you don't care if they ruin, but most likely you will keep them for kid#2 so make sure they are a little in fashion.
8)expect all your plans for your life to be changed for the rest of your life. Want to watch that amazing season premier on tv or relax? Tell that to a 2 year old that holds your hand and says " come on daddy. Play with me!" Or "tickle me!" You will melt for them.
9) be goofy with them. Who cares what you look like. Show them you love them. If my daughter wants me to wear fairy wings at the who, sure why not. Does it make me less of a man? No. It makes me more of a father.
10) belly pouch. Get one that fits you well. One for each of you is better so you don't have to keep adjusting and you can get it in your color. The kid will love to sleep in it and it makes hiking with a pack easy.

I'm sure I could go on and on about things you will want or would be really helpful. What you need is already in you. Be a good father. Plan for the rough times. They will come but savor the good times.

·
not sure yet
797 Posts
Gear and clothes are not nearly as important as marketing makes it to appear. But...
Boppy is great for nursing,
umbrella strollers suck if you have any height to you (like trying to use a child's toy),
baby wearing/kangaroo things are great for baby being happy while mom/dad have free hands,
door knobs of the lever style can be opened with a knee, elbow, etc.
a story light... a light just bright enough to read by at bedtime

ETA: If you have a "moms of twins" group in your area, or something similar, get on their email list for second hand sales. In my area there are 2 per year, spring and fall. Great deals on everything from clothes, toys, books, anything baby through preschool.

·
Off the leash
3,293 Posts
Congratulations on your upcoming new baby! :D:

As others have said, stock up on cloth diapers. Even after they are no longer needed for a baby they have many other uses. Also don't forget lots of safety pins. The newer ones seem to be a lot less sturdy than the old ones.

Also I would get a variety of clothing for all seasons in several sizes. Garage sales are a great place to find things like that.

Besides some extra formula you might also consider some pedialyte or something similar. It can be great for babies and adults if need be.

Extra disposable bottles might also be something to consider.

·
Weed 'em and reap
31,574 Posts
Hey there parents, we are expecting our first child in May and I am trying to be as prepared as possible but I feel that we may come up short somehow someway so I figured i would ask you all for any advice that I may not have thought about?

We had a baby shower a couple weeks ago and pulled in quite the haul of stuff, but I feel like there could be a lot that I am missing.

I have read a couple books, and done a good amount of due diligence but I am still unsure.

I did a search and read the few "babies and survival" threads here and learned about alternative sources to milk in the event of SHTF, and also learned to keep lots of cloth diapers and pins on hand.

Enjoy this time. You never get it back. My eldest is 14, and my youngest is 10. They don't stay babies long enough.

Instinct will handle most of the pragmatic issues. As such, I would focus entirely on character and development as your baby "prep."

Children develop their sense of character and their default response to situations as babies. After this, it is very difficult to change how they act and react. By 8 or 9, it's all but set in stone. This means that from this moment on, your duty is to model the kind of character you want them to develop. You no longer have the luxury of any heedless or careless speech or action. In everything you do, remind yourself that you are the lead actors in an 18 year long instructional video on how to treat others. He/she will learn to negotiate through the world by your example.

Also, in the first year of life, children can learn exponentially faster than adults. In one year, they learn what language is, what it does, how it works, how to form words, what tone and inflection mean, etc. They also learn the relevance of shapes, forms, and symbols. These can be combined by pointing to the words on the page as you read. If you do this exactly, your child can actually learn to read before they speak. What a wonderful prep that is to have a literate baby.

*** The exception to the above is when you are driving past a billboard for a sex shop, and they point and shout, "TOYS!" to the horror of your in-laws. ***

This means NO baby talk. To interpolation of words. You speak in full sentences and read the words that are on the page.

Also, discuss numbers with them, even before they can speak. It's entertaining to them, and if they're not raised on cartoons, they won't know that it's "boring." Not just counting, but demonstrate the natural numbers with them through stories. "I have six eggs. We each get three. Oops, I forgot Daddy. Now we each get two." They will start reasoning through the world with number narratives.

Those would be my focus, moreso than the traditional "prepper" concerns.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts

Agree with the posts below. Babies dont have to cost much at all. There isnt that much you need to put away for them.

1) babies hardly use their clothes because they grow so fast, used clothes are the best bargain. My wife wont do it, but we give away a ton of stuff that has barely been used. A baby only needs 2-3 pieces of clothing at each size.

2) help your wife to be a stay at home mom. Your babies will get a lot less sick in the first 2 years

3) starting at 6 months or so they can eat fresh veggies, meat etc. They can generally eat the same thing as you. Dont buy premade baby food it is a huge ripoff

4) breastfeed for a year if possible, it is much more convenient and free.

5) Babies dont play with toys. Dont buy them any toys until they around 6-8 months. Even then they will be happy with crumpled paper, a spoon, some measuring cups etc. My wife buys tons of useless toys, we then give them away virtually brand new to the house cleaners and then buy them all over again for the next kid. Even as they get older, if you pay attention, you will see there are only a few toys they play with over and over. 95% of toys are wasted $$ (especially stuffed animals).

6) cloth diapers, I personally would never use them, but put some back. You can always use them as rags. For disposables Estimate 10 diapers a day for 3 months, then maybe 8 diapers a day to 6 months, then maybe 4 diapers a day to two years.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.