Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
They could just turn the darn TV off for awhile. Turn off the idiot box, spend some real family time or read a book.

I can't afford alot of the cool new cars and trucks that I want but I'm not begging the auto makers to stop showing their commercials. If the kids want a toy badly enough they can get it the same darn way I did. Do some yard work for neighbors, shovel snow, or have a bake sale of sorts.

Reactions: boyscout

·
Banned
59 Posts
I keep hearing about the struggling times by people in the United States but just heard sales on Black Friday were up 7% more than last year and the 2nd highest amount of ticket sales was recorded at the box office over the Thanksgiving holiday. Now somebody is wrong somewhere. I just doesn't make sense to me I guess.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
Yes, the simple response is to switch the t.v. off and to talk to your children.

Yet most people on these boards agree that the media and corporations are all powerful.

Some might even question what mass consumerism has to do with the celebration of Jesus Christ.

I would prefer that the whole "madness" of Christmas could just be about people spending time with their families and wanting peace on earth for all.

Unfortunately, it's a time of spend, spend, spend. Buying ever more bits of useless tat that will be redundant in 5yrs time. If you don't "buy" into this fantasy then you are labeled a "scrooge" and a kill joy.

·
Scandinavian survivor
4,106 Posts
It is a good suggestion, but have you done it? I have been toying with the idea.
My ex´s set broke down, went from wide-screen to narrow-screen and got tossed out. Haven´t had one since and it is a top ten best-things-that-ever-happend-to-me-thing.
Kick it out. You can´t imagine the amount of time you´ll have all of a sudden...

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
It is a good suggestion, but have you done it? I have been toying with the idea.
Absolutely. I stopped watching television in the 70s. I have never owned one nor have I missed it. I won one once and gave it away. There is only so much time in life and I could not justify spending part of that time so poorly (in front of the boob tube.)

Frankly, I don't know why anyone watches it. Every few years in a department store or the like I will see some sets on. The technology is amazing but the programming is pathetic. Perhaps that is the worst problem, the technology is so good nothing looks great.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Shut off the cable, sold the 52" TV, my IQ shot up 38 points!

Well, not really, but I do feel alot better. My mind isn't saturated with corporate commercials and news propaganda. Can't avoid it altogether, but getting rid of the TV was definitely a good decision. It is now depressing to be somewhere that has a TV on, and I have to see what the population is spoonfed. Garbage, absolute garbage. Mental pollution. 95% of media content is absolutely worthless if not harmful.

Go cold turkey all you TV junkies, you will thank me later!

And as to the OP, just another sad indicator of how ignorant the people of this country have become, blaming toymakers for their lack of purchasing power. They should blame themselves, or the IRS, or the Federal Reserve, or Congress, but to put the blame on the toymakers... and to think that they would for a second consider a change in marketing policy... INSANE!

Sincerely, EQV

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
JUST SAY NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See very easy, very familiar with kids that have to have any and everything they see LOL.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Have any of these "parents" heard of personal responsibility??
Oh thats right, blame it on someone else, its never your own fault.
Sheesh.

We havent but I have a friend who did. She likes not having one around. I, on the other hand, like my video games so the TV stays (as does hubby watching football). At least we havent bought a new one....one is from the early 2000's (I know so old :rolleyes:) and another, the tiny one, from the late 1990's (Ancient!! :rolleyes:)...and we've downgraded our cable to basic so not as much crap to watch.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
if kyra wants something and i don't have the money for it i tell her no.
if i don't think she deserves it i say no
if she wants it and is willing to work for it she can buy it
if its something i don't agree with its no till she moves out of the house

1 - 13 of 13 Posts