Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, quick question and probably a simple answer.

I was at Sam's Club the other day and noticed they had 25lb boxes of parboiled rice, and the "Use by" date is about 2 years.

What exactly is "parboiled" rice? If I repackage it in mylar with oxygen absorbers will it last longer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Par Boiled is the only rice I use, One thing I have noticed is that I have never seen weevils in parboiled rice no matter how long I have had it. Mostly the reason why I don't use any other kind anymore.

·
6 Boys and 13 Hands
10,346 Posts
Hey everyone, quick question and probably a simple answer.

I was at Sam's Club the other day and noticed they had 25lb boxes of parboiled rice, and the "Use by" date is about 2 years.

What exactly is "parboiled" rice? If I repackage it in mylar with oxygen absorbers will it last longer?

Thanks!
It is rice that is steamed while still in the husk. It has more nutrition then regular rice.
It's the only rice I use for side dishes and stir fries but I'll use sticky rice for soups as it is slightly cheaper.

·
Get off my lawn!
4,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments so far everyone.

Does anyone know about resealing it in mylar, and if that will extend its shelf life?

·
Registered
652 Posts
sprkymrk, I think it makes sense to seal it in mylar with o2 absorbers. For one thing, it would keep any moisture out it might be exposed to. Also, it would be a deterent to bugs. Not sure if it would extend the shelf life, but it won't hurt. Good luck with your venture. We love rice and store lots of it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
We have some stored in mylar bags w/oxygen absorbers, but don't know if it's shelf life will be extended as we haven't had it stored long enough.

Time will tell.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
I only store parboiled now. It is steamed in the husk before being husked. This transfers many of the nutrients to the rice. They say this makes it almost as nutritious as brown rice, but with the shelf life of regular white rice.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,580 Posts
Parboiled makes a lot of sense for food storage. It lasts just as long as regular rice when packaged properly. Yet it has more nutrition. I've been slowly moving over into it myself. But I have so much regular rice that I doubt I'll be able to replace it all with parboiled.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts