Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughters starting EMT next week and in need of the scissors they use by February.
We are eyeballing the Leatherman Raptor scissors and wondering if it's overkill at $75 a pop locally.
Worth the money?
Experiences?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I bought the Leatherman medic scissors and scabbard about 2 years ago.

I have a fairly active case load.

I recommend them. They cut quickly and 'decisively' and re-holster easily. That's all I want.

Disclaimer: I have neither financial nor social nor familial interests with Leatherman.

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
My daughters starting EMT next week and in need of the scissors they use by February.
We are eyeballing the Leatherman Raptor scissors and wondering if it's overkill at $75 a pop locally.
Worth the money?
Experiences?

Thanks.
`

I got my wife one off of amazon when it was $70, they now want $90. :eek: She likes hers, but she's not in medical anymore so doesn't get the use out of it she used to. It's highly rated on amazon too, so take all that FWIW I guess. I guess they are still $70, the one I looked up had different packaging than the one I got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019EN7FA6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s04?ie=UTF8&th=1

·
Paramedic and ΜΟΛΩΝ &#923
3,053 Posts
Paramedic and firefighter for 17 years. I've ALWAYS wanted a pair of the expensive ones. Why? not sure.

So with that, I've stuck to my $3-7 pair and when I lose them, forget them, need a new pair I go buy them.

I put my extra money in boots. It's a must and as I age, my body thanks me.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I'm not sure I would automatically get the Leatherman shears. I have a pair, and I like them for what they are, but I also used standard (quality one, but not that expensive) shears for years with no issues. I think after using regular shears, the upgrade to the Raptors offers a decent compact package and carry system for a quality tool that would be appreciated more. Start'em on the more standard versions first...upgrade on a graduation or significant event...

Besides, I like to have several of the standard shears around (several in the house, on my it, in vehicles, etc....it's cheaper to get quantity without sacrificing quality.

ROCK6

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I have seen several nurses with these or similar scissors, a lot less impact if they are lost.
Avoid the El Cheapo Pakistani single-use disposable $3 shears! The Maratecs are inexpensive enough to buy and stash multiples everywhere and they will stand some abuse. They are decent quality, but can still be considered disposable, so you won't cry when somebody walks off with them.

Two pairs are a minimum. They make compact and mini shears also which are good to pack in FAKs and survival kits for cutting cord, string, light wire, trimming bandages, etc.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I like Leatherman and carry a Multi-Tool but I also prefer lower cost trauma shears because they end up being replaced when 'lost.' If it is Paki check it over carefully. If it is US even, check it over carefully, because there is some US-made 'economy' stuff out there. The Germans made good stuff for much less than the Leatherman offering. Look for an "Autoclavable" label whatever you buy; that will tell you the handles will hold up.

For the record, take it from someone who used to import Paki medical instruments, almost ANYTHING they make is superior to the Chinese junk, and considering how many Paki manufacturers produce products against which even junk would be a better grade that says a lot. The only stuff I ever saw worse than Chinese instruments was the US-made Acme bent wire single-use stuff.

RR

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have a pair of hardware store scissors that look like the Maratac type bandage scissors. I tried them when I was doing wound care but they wouldn't do the job, maybe too much wire or flashing cutting. I think I'll tighten up the bite and see what happens, needs tightened anyway.

I had some titanium scissors from Walmart that cut wonderfully but didn't have the angled handles and rounded tips. The nurse said, NO, NO, NO! She ordered a pair of McKesson made in Pakistan for me. They don't cut as easily as the lower cost but well made titanium scissors from Walmart but safer I guess.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
In wound care where I used them most (and the need for safety) was in bandage removal. Toes to knee multi-layer wrap removal, then trimming primary dressing, cutting tape and etc. for redressing.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The Leatherman Raptor sheers look great. I really would love a pair. But I won't buy them. Why?

Look at them carefully. Look at all the little crevices and pivots and joints on them. You know what happens when they get bloody? They'll get hard to clean perfectly. And you sure can't clean them much at all if it's needed right at the scene before putting them back in their holder.

This usually isn't a big deal. Most of the time your shears actually don't get bloody. But they sure can. Typically, when you cut bandages, usually, that's a clean thing. Clothing? Hit or miss... but... you might have some blood on your hands/gloves when using them. With the cheapies, they're easy to wipe off with some antiseptic cleaning wipes, or just toss them in the red bag and grab a new pair from supply closet.

So besides the initial cost itself, do I really need to be 'worried' about my expensive scissors? Yeah, I suppose you could argue the same for a stethoscope, but that's much less likely to be getting dunked up. And I use the covers on mine anyway. (Not sure why more don't do that.)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts