Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy some more paracord. I've got a bunch of bits and pieces from different sources, none of which I kept track of. It is all slightly different OD and all of it seven strand. The problem is that some of it will hold a knot and some will slip. I use taut line hitches on tent and tarp lines and bear bags and need 550 that won't slip.

Anyone have any idea either how I can tell which cord will not slip before I buy or any specific brand or source you can recommend.

Thanks.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I need to buy some more paracord. I've got a bunch of bits and pieces from different sources, none of which I kept track of. It is all slightly different OD and all of it seven strand. The problem is that some of it will hold a knot and some will slip. I use taut line hitches on tent and tarp lines and bear bags and need 550 that won't slip.

Anyone have any idea either how I can tell which cord will not slip before I buy or any specific brand or source you can recommend.

Thanks.
Try using a modified tautline... Normally the tautline is tied with 2 neat half hitches inside the loop and one half-hitch outside to finish the knot. Try crossing the 2 half-hitches inside the loop and then the normal half-hitch outside the loop... I find it much more effective this way. Don't know if it will make a difference with your 550 or not, but that's the way I tie my tautline hitches all the time...

Allan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts