Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys keep paracord in your pack from getting tangled? After de-tangling about 5 times, I finally figured out to take a piece of cardboard and wrap it around that and slide it into my hydration bladder pocket. Is there a standard solution for this?

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I was in the Army that's what I did--I'd wrap it around a maglite. I think the peice of cardboard would be a good solution for management of longer bits of 550. I know some guys would braid it but I have no idea how. It always looked high speed but seemed kind of counter-intuitive to me especially if they needed a hunk of it in a hurry.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I had the same problem and I hate messes. This little pouch holds 100' of paracord and keeps it from getting tangled, too. You can wrap it around a flat ended pencil, stuff it in there and simply roll it off. I haven't figured out a way to get a drain hole on there to simply tug it through the hole but I will someday. The pouch also works for weapons cleaning kits, tools and hygiene.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/COCOON-POUCH-7p175.htm

·
Hunter
2,994 Posts
I just wrap it up like a climbing rope and stick it in a ziplock bag and roll that. I guess another option for longer runs would be to make a daisy chain, but I've never needed a lot of small cord. larger rope, yeah, but larger rope is easier kept.

·
Registered
9 Posts
10 to 20 feet long..... daisy chain and wrap around hat band.... hang from pack ring.....

50' long..... fold in half.... daisy chain..... fold up in 6-8 inch back and forth folds.... then secure with two 1 " wide sections of innner tube. (ranger bands)
It is very sturdy, but still comes apart quickly when need.

>>> daisy chaining cord makes it ten times thicker and almost impossible to get tangled.<<<<

For longer lengths I start to get into many different types of creativity....

like a this belt that holds well over two hundred..... I can pull off more than 50 feet before it wont go around my waist any more.
If I need more after that.... and still need a belt..... I double up a section that I can knot around my waist hillbilly style and can use the rest.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I made my gun sling out of paracord. I also wrapped it around the stock of my rifle. Took a little getting used too but after a while did not even notice it. My brother wrapped his gun barrel, said it kept the rifle more quite when hitting branches. A hunting partner of ours made a pair of suspenders out of it. With a little sewing and use of a little of the elastic from the old pair, I will say very impressive. At a gun show we attended he wore them and 3 different people asked where he bought them.

·
Geronimo!
4,053 Posts
10 to 20 feet long..... daisy chain and wrap around hat band.... hang from pack ring.....

50' long..... fold in half.... daisy chain..... fold up in 6-8 inch back and forth folds.... then secure with two 1 " wide sections of innner tube. (ranger bands)
It is very sturdy, but still comes apart quickly when need.

>>> daisy chaining cord makes it ten times thicker and almost impossible to get tangled.<<<<

For longer lengths I start to get into many different types of creativity....

like a this belt that holds well over two hundred..... I can pull off more than 50 feet before it wont go around my waist any more.
If I need more after that.... and still need a belt..... I double up a section that I can knot around my waist hillbilly style and can use the rest.

I need to make one of those just for the heckuvait ... any instructionals out there?

·
Registered
9 Posts
sure

Try googlin "Slatts knot"

http://www.orionn49.com/slatts_rescue_belt_knot1.htm :thumb:

I have also made suspenders, a rifle sling but traded that in..... when push comes to shove I need the sling more than cord that i can carry elsewhere just as easy.

I did make another one out of much smaller cord that I was messing around with..... not for the cord but because it was very comfortable.
I added it to a 10/22 that I was going to take a walk with and ended up really liking it. Its just looped and tied quick like around each end.

See if I can find a pic.....

This is just Nylon construction string believe it or not.... I tuned up the color some before knoting.

·
Here to stay
20 Posts
I've got mine (550 paracord) plated into a length about 2metres long (x3 for the plat so 6metres) with a snap buckle turning it into a loop, this I use to carry my canteen over my shoulder. I find it very easy and quick to undo and it is a long length, enough for a short repel. I also have shorter lengths wound around my knife sheath.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.