Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a source for 550 paracord. The local army surplus carries it but he wants close to $4 a foot for it.

·
Barefoot Hillbilly
378 Posts
I'm with Sandman. Check cheaperthandirt.com.... I get most of my stuff there, just because they sell it well, cheaper than dirt.

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
I bought the 300 ft spool of para-cord, and I will be gettin the 1k foot spool. For 12 bucks, the 300ft spool is great! It fits nicely in a pack, and is plenty of para cord for shelter building, or what have you.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
check ebay from time to time, theres a guy that sells bunches of 330-390 feet each of like new military issued 550 cord for $6 a bundle, and he combines shipping so its real cheap to buy lots of it. best deal ive found so far

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
good idea wistlestop. Some people don't know why it's called 550 cord. I'm sure most on here do, but I'll elaborat just the same. 550 cord/paracord has a tensile strength of 550 lbs. if you know how to, you can make a mean hammock out of 550 cord that would have an insand amount of strenght. you can double, or triple up 550 to increase the tensile strength. for it's size, 550 is just insanely strong. it's like duct tape for the survivalist. you can use it for so many things.

A 10 ft section of 550 can make you ~70 feet of trot line. If you pull out the guts and tie them together with a blood knot or double surgeons. hang your hooks off of it, and you've got a trot line.

Reactions: Crash

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the record I went with Sportsman's Guide. They were selling by the yard what others were selling by the foot.

·
Don't know a thing..
84 Posts
check ebay from time to time, theres a guy that sells bunches of 330-390 feet each of like new military issued 550 cord for $6 a bundle, and he combines shipping so its real cheap to buy lots of it. best deal ive found so far

Yep... I get mine on Ebay 100 ft at the time... shipping and everything between $6.00 and $9.00... keeps me from having to go to the store!! :)

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
or the guy on ebay selling a 400.00 set of Ranger Body Armor...... covers

The guy makes it sound like you're getting RBA, but what you are getting is the nylon cover that you put the kevlar, and sapi plates into. without the kevlar, this thing is a thick vest of nylon. and there are 90 something bids on it as of yesterday.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Reactions: ZigMund

·
Savage intellectual
1,866 Posts
+1 on CTD for SOME things. Shipping has been painless with them, and you'll be getting catalogs forever.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Like above.....I've never been dissapointed by Cheaper than Dirt Yet. Just ensure it is the qualitiy that you are looking for. Like everywhere, somethings will be great, others not so great. Never had a problem with them. They seem to give accurate descriptions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts