Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Do you mean like homeless people panhandling? I lived in Detroit this summer and noone I saw looked very healthy. Where are you from?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I saw someone yesterday doing this with new clothes and a new sign. It was obvious by the way his hair was. And I agree with dilligaf and compboy.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
yeah, I followed one a block back to his vehicle once- a late model Suburban. Panhandlers are NOT homeless. They are swindlers.

Reactions: Paulycracker

·
Registered
774 Posts
yeah, I followed one a block back to his vehicle once- a late model Suburban. Panhandlers are NOT homeless. They are swindlers.
I used to see the same guy every day carrying a gas can and telling a story about how he ran out of gas. He sure did run out of gas a lot. :rolleyes:

But I won't say all panhandlers are swindlers. Some of them really are in need.

·
one day at a time
2,478 Posts
Had a guy that used to come around every other mounth I happed to get gas and cigs. one day befor work. Told everybody saw him buying a 6 pack and cigs. I bet them he would show up. He did. This time a new story. I broke my back just got out of the hospital trying to find some one to help so I can get back to bristol. No hard shell back brace or any at all. So we called him on all his storys he sat up said sorry and left.

They are hustlers. Thats all!

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
Does panhandling mean begging? Or is it only in tent cities like the CNN link story?

There's a guy who stands in the centre of my village from 6am to 6pm without fail every day, with a small saucer out in front of him. He also seems to always be on his mobile phone and smoking cigs, but hey. I feel bad when I walk past and try to keep my eyes forward, but this is such a small place if I gave him money once it would have to be all the time.

·
Mother of One.
234 Posts
You'd make more money being a street performer, and it's not being such a mooch. Get an instrument and head down to the "arty" district in your city. Be wise about your appearance, and keep your tip jar within arms reach.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I take the same route home from work every day. At the freeway offramp near my home, there is always someone standing there holding a sign telling of his tale of woe. There are 4 men doing this, they rotate days at that spot. None of them look to be as old as 30, and they don't have the haggard look you would expect of a bum.

I don't carry cash, so I don't give them money, but it is a long light, and I would guess about 1 out of 5 people in line on average give from what I have seen, always folding money.

During peak hours morning and afternoon, several hundred to a thousand cars go by this light. If say 100 people in that span each gave $1, that's not bad money for a couple hours of "work".

They guy who seems to get the most money has the best sign. It says "Why Lie? I need beer!"

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
"Hey man, you gotta buck or two? F-U MothaF**ka I need liquor too!"

Artists-Rehab
Album-Southern Discomfort
Song-Crazy People

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I saw a story on a news show a couple of years ago. The reporter had set a bunch of yard work for a women who lived at the edge of a major city, right on a main bus line.
Went back down town and talked to people with signs " Need work".
Offered a fair wage and gave them a bus token to the job and said be there in the morning at 9 AM.
Guess what, not one person showed up.
......................................Alaskan.....Dennis......

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
My brother lived beside a guy who was a professional panhandler.

The guy owned a Mercedes Benz, lived in a 1000 a month apartment, ate out every night etc and his only source of income was begging.

My brother said he would wear the dirtiest clothes you could imagine. He stunk so bad when he put them on it would make you gag. When he came home at the end of the day he would strip in the pool area and wash before putting on his good clothes and coming inside his apartment.

It was not uncommon at all for him to make 1000 dollars per day.

·
Country Boy In The City..
246 Posts
Hey. I'm homeless in Greenville, SC. I don't panhandle, but I have asked people for money before when I didn't have a job. I work 6 days a week. I live in a homeless shelter yet I still find work. I know people at the shelter who always go out and bum money all day. They don't make that much money panhandling here. I being homeless get stopped everyday sometimes by the same people asking me for cigs or money I was giving it to them and I decided against it because they started asking me everyday. I guess I don't really look all that homeless, but I'm living atleast and will be driving my truck again in a week or two. With a good honest hard works paycheck I can feel good about the things I accomplish and think to myself "I worked for this". It feels much better than if someone just gave it to me.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Pan handlers around here have to register, we've seen at least 1 spend all day out on the corner (we were shopping) finish when it got slow then walk about 1/2 mile away get in his new car and drive off:mad:. And I felt sorry for him..................................................BAD BAD ME:headshake:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts