Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
They are South American Banana Republics therefore subject to sudden wild regime changes.
If you are thinking Ex-Pat unless you are Latino or are married to one specifically from those countries I would advise against it.
Speaking Spanish would also be a big plus.
I do know Americans are sort of not well liked in Panama from people I know who work and live there.
The whole Noriega thing still pisses some off and if there were regional instability I would not wanna be the only White guy on the block.
CR I have no idea.
Any country where you cannot own the means of self defense is out of the question for me.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Have several Alaskan friends who now have homes in Costa Rica, they really like it there.
The couple of times I have been in Panama , I have no plans on going back.
Very crowded and very corrupt, the violence would show up all major U.S.cities..
..................Alaskan.....

·
Registered
262 Posts
They are South American Banana Republics therefore subject to sudden wild regime changes.
If you are thinking Ex-Pat unless you are Latino or are married to one specifically from those countries I would advise against it.
Speaking Spanish would also be a big plus.
I do know Americans are sort of not well liked in Panama from people I know who work and live there.
The whole Noriega thing still pisses some off and if there were regional instability I would not wanna be the only White guy on the block.
CR I have no idea.
Any country where you cannot own the means of self defense is out of the question for me.
What he said. On top of that, you think there will be hard times here? It'll be 10fold there. Plus there are heavy tariffs if you wanna bring say a shipping container of "supply's" ,vehicles, then trying to keep them from being stolen from you, by ANY means,probably by the police themselves.

·
just doin my job..
421 Posts
my buddy was on a small panamanian island in june-july and I didn't hear of any violence there.. but apperently on the main land the cops walk around with big rifles and stuff..

they also visited a tribe deep in the jungle and apperently they can't go back next year because the tribe is expected to be at war with the neighbouring tribe... something to do with eating the toes and fingers off each others babies and alot of murder and stuff..

one of the guides they were with in the jungle had his ear cut off by a carved wooden knife..

Im staying in a country Im familiar with for now

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Costa Rica... I know for certain three people who live there part time or will retire there. It is the most stable government in the Central Americas and you can have any climate you want.

·
Amazon
47 Posts
I did some fieldwork in Costa Rica for a summer, and if you were picking between Costa Rica and Panama, I'd definately say Costa Rica. They're trying to encourage eco-tourism and they have ex-pat friendly laws, so you stand a better chance of blending in and setting up shop. They occaisionally have uprisings, though. I was working in some of the cloud forests near Monte Verde and I found out later they had a small geurrilla uprising almost exactly where we were not two days after we left. If you don't speak Spanish or live with someone who does, then a lot of people will try to scam you. Plus, in most places their water and power system is still kind of iffy at best, so you may have to either learn to deal with it or find alternatives. Still, cost of living is fairly cheap compared to the US, so if you can save up a good bankroll here, you can probably live on it for a long time there.

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
I've been to Costa Rica several times checking out the same things.
The people are great. (there is petty crime in the big cities of course)
Most cops drive around on little 250 motorcycles. Even the cops are great.
So polite and helpful. Not like the Nazi Gestapo LEO's in the US who no longer protect and serve.

Cost of living is about half what it is in the US. I agree with an above poster, get out of the city though and live in a small village or the mountains. Cheap living. Can have a maid, cook, garderner all for cheap and live like a king there.

The women are still women, feminine, genuine and sweet.

But many parts ARE still like a 2nd world country, not lots of infrastructure out in the sticks. Pretty much same climate year round, 70's-80's F. CHEAP healthcare.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
I wonder if the people of costa rica would appreciate people bringing AK 47's into their country? Probably not. Going down there and staying materialistic would probably be a hard way to survive.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I wonder if the people of costa rica would appreciate people bringing AK 47's into their country? Probably not. Going down there and staying materialistic would probably be a hard way to survive.
IIRC pistols, shotguns, and hunting rifles are OK.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
Sure, I have an opinion, if you move to either, they will just get to you and impose tyranny on you a little later.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
Costa Rica is a pretty stable country, a LOT of people go there to retire. The medical care is on par wiht the US, if you are in the major cities, the people are said to be very freindly.

The southern part of Costa Rica was settled by Italian Fruit farmers, so you could settle there and learn Italian instead of Spanish and do just fine. For me it would probably be just like growing up in Elmwood park IL.

My guess is you would have to get used to some cultural changes, but considering it has a MUCH smaller government, that allows guns, you'd probably be much freer there, than here.

I hear the roads really suck down there though.

Instead of importing all of your stock, I'd sell them all, and re buy once you were down there. Due to the difference in the economies, you could probably double your preps that way.

Also, so long as you don't derive your income from inside of Costa Rica itself, there is NO income tax. You are not even required to file. (The US would still hunt you down though)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts