Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When last the forum was discussing the new US Palm AK 30 magazines, the thread seem to get caught up in whether or not the company logo was borrowing "too heavily" from the DAK (Deutsches Afrika Corps) logo from WW2 (minus the hindu sunwheel...).

Below please find the latest update and test review of this product by Gabe Suarez of Suarez International (and yes, he sells 'em...)...

Circle Ten Magazines Are Only Second Best - Enter The AK30
Move Over Bulgarian Cadillac - The US Palm AK30 is here!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
by Gabe Suarez

Several months ago I was contacted by the folks at US Palm. They wanted to make the best AK magazine on earth, right here in the USA. I sort of laughed, and told them that every US made magazine to date, mentioning two very prominent US magazine makers by name, had been a disasters of crap-tastic proportions. I also told them that the Cadillac of the AK magazine world was the Bulgarian Circle Tens imported by Arsenal. If they wanted to make a US magazine they would need to do two things. Make sure it was not crap like the other US magazines, and make it better and less expensive than the Cadillac Bulgarian magazine. They said "No problem". I laughed again and that was that. But about two months later, I received some magazines for beta testing.

These magazines looked good. They looked tough. The staff immediately began playing caveman-break-magazine with them, but the magazines remained strong and unbroken. Interesting, I remember thinking. All other US magazines had never made it this far, shattering in the hands of my Paleolithic staff almost as soon as they came out of the shipping box. I inserted one into my EDC AK-47 and busted off ten AK pushups. It held up. It also held up in a Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting class we were teaching that weekend. Every student in the twenty man class tried to break it, going as far as running it over with my Jeep, but to no avail.

I reported this to my friends at US Palm and they replied that the beta magazines I had been given did not have the steel cage the finial products would have. Ooops. But the point is that even without the cage; apparently the plastic alone was strong enough. It would be about a month before I could test the production final samples with the internal improvements and steel cage at the feed lips and locking lugs. If a magazine can be perfect, I think this one just might be that.

This new 30 round magazine fits all AK-47 rifles that use detachable double-stack magazines. We tested them in just about every AK ever imported into the US. The AK30 is constructed of proprietary aerospace polymers developed by Tango Down. The AK30 sets itself apart from other polymer magazines with its purpose-built design and multiple unique features.

The AK 30 has no removable floor plate. Traditionalists might scoff at this but this is both unnecessary with the AK30 internal design, as well as a strengthening feature. By eliminating the removable floor plate US Palm created a stronger design; a five-sided box. This revolutionary design, paired with advanced polymers gives the AK30 the strength it needs to survive impacts that in our testing have destroyed the Cadillac Bulgarian Circle Tens.

After the magazine is molded, the body and end-cap are bonded together at the molecular level, so no disassembly is possible or required. The AK30 has a unique low-friction semi-floating follower that is slotted to allow for easy magazine cleaning and hassle-free maintenance. In testing we buried the AK30 (and its competitor) top down in Arizona mud and gravel. After nothing more than a tapping on the rifle to release the big pieces, each magazine was tried in an SLR-107. The Bulgarian rifle liked the American magazine, but choked on the Circle Ten.

Apparently the mud and gravel would not come out due to the traditional follower design in the Bulgarian magazine. While the Circle Ten is still a fine magazine and far better than the typicial steel, the Tango Down/US Palm magazine is a better product by far. Its special follower gave no issues in releasing the dirt, and the rounds. A much more reliable design.

To clean, just dunk the magazine in hot soapy water, rinse and invert to drain. Dry contamination easily flows free through the vented follower design. The AK30 also features a chromium-silicon spring that is heat treated, stress relieved and US Mil Spec corrosion resistant coated. Life expectancy for this spring is 100,000+ cycles.
Inside, there is a lot going on! The feed lips and locking surfaces are reinforced by a stainless steel cage that has been molded into the entire top of the magazine to further ensure reliability for years of trouble free service.

Outside, the magazine sports aggressive ridges on the front and rear allowing a positive purchase when seating the AK30 into the rifle regardless of environmental conditions. The deep waffle pattern on the magazine's sides assist in rapid extraction from magazine pouches, and 100% positive manipulation within conditions beyond extreme. Every surface of the AK30 was given careful consideration to benefit the operator working in the world's harshest conditions.

Specifications
· Caliber: 7.62x39mm
· Capacity: 30 rounds
· Material: Proprietary Polymer
· Weight: 7.0 ounces
· Overall Length: 9"
· Overall Width: 1 3/16"

When we met again to test the final samples we set out to break them in testing. We abused the test rifles with on board magazine beyond what even a true caveman in the fourth world would consider doing with his rifle. The magazines held up. You know how tough and immune to abuse the AK system is. To put it in perspective, we broke two rifles. One heated up so bad it would not function any more. The other ended up with a bent receiver. But the magazines held up. One f my staff noted the AK30 was tougher than the rifle it was intended to fit. Quite right.

If you want the best there is for your Kalashnikov Combat system, as far as magazines go, this is it. It is stronger, more reliable, and easier to maintain than the Bulgarians. And at the price it is selling for currently, a far better bargain than the overpriced imports.

Made In The USA is no longer something to be afraid of when it comes to AK magazines...it is something to look for if they are the AK30 from US Palm.

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats the price point?
On the suarezinternational website (the only place I found where you could actually buy these...) they are $29.99. I just don't get it. I think a lot of people would pull the trigger and buy one if they were 14.99 to 15.99. If they were as good as claimed, for $12.99 they'd sell like crazy....

But at $29.99 how many could they be selling?

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I thought they were supposed to be cheaper than bulgarians.

If they wanted to make a US magazine they would need to do two things. Make sure it was not crap like the other US magazines, and make it better and less expensive than the Cadillac Bulgarian magazine. They said "No problem".

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Yuck! I will stick to my Chinese and Romanian.

The beef I have with the cheap plastic mags is the detent for locking the mag in place wears out quickly. Totally unacceptable.

·
Firearm Enthusiast
367 Posts
It sounds like Gabe is getting a kickback. Anytime I read a "review" with nothing but positive things to say about the item, I get nervous. These magazines were developed by humans, they must have a drawback somewhere. Someone needs to purchase a few and see if they live up to the hype.

·
Registered
404 Posts
It sounds like Gabe is getting a kickback. Anytime I read a "review" with nothing but positive things to say about the item, I get nervous. These magazines were developed by humans, they must have a drawback somewhere. Someone needs to purchase a few and see if they live up to the hype.
The downsides are obvious: no removable floor plate, lack of steel reinforcement along the spine and no word on the durability of the plastics used (TD has had issues with poor plastics in the past).

On top of that, the company refuses to cut one in half to show potential buyers exactly how its made.....

I will wait for non biased reviews and full disclosure on how its built before it goes in my guns. :thumb:

·
May the Lord be with us
5,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought they were supposed to be cheaper than bulgarians.
That would have made too much sense!!! They are literally twice as much.

The "easy task" of cleaning them is said to be accomplished by pouring solvent in and letting it drip out with the magazine upside down. Same for lubrication..... Uh, I've never done that to a mag. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

PalmCo... either cut the price in half and reengineer for a removable floor plate or tell us what the view from the bottom of the LaBraya Tar Pits looks like...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts