Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased two 275 gal. totes for my emergency water supply.

My thought is to bring water to them from the backyard spigot, then run a garden hose off of the second in line to water the garden and trees.

My thought here is I keep 550 gallons of water on hand which is being cycled through on a regular basis every time we water the garden and trees.

Does anyone on the board have any experience with a setup like this? Questions, comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
I do it with a spare water heater. Timer turns on water to garden, constantly refreshes. Put the timer/ valve on the fill side with low pressure holding tanks, leave the outlet open, and you're good to go. Water only flows when the tank is full, as soon as the level drops a hair it breaks the siphon...

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,966 Posts
It's a decent idea. People do this with tanks in their houses that feed the water heater; the water is warmed somewhat before feeding the water heater which improves recharge time.

Others have done that simply to have an additional source of water.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Snake, can you provide me an example of what kind of timer/valve you are talking about?

Does anyone know what psi the IBC totes can handle? Just wondering if I could leave the pressure from the house on to the totes. I would think they could handle the water pressure that is in the house. 50 to 60 psi?

·
reluctant sinner
17,912 Posts
I don't think you will get good mixing trying to inline refresh the tanks or that they will hold up to city water pressure.

Just use your tanks to water the yard twice a year. One inch of water on a 10' x 10' is like 60 gallons. Use your 12 v RV style pump powdered by your deep cycle battery.
I'm on well water and use hydrogen peroxide in my storage water.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Snake, can you provide me an example of what kind of timer/valve you are talking about?

Does anyone know what psi the IBC totes can handle? Just wondering if I could leave the pressure from the house on to the totes. I would think they could handle the water pressure that is in the house. 50 to 60 psi?
in my area street pressure is about 80 psi my husband who is a Master plumber said the IBC tote lid would leak with that pressure. Just water the garden to recycle the water.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't think they would handle the pressure. I have six of them and was thinking about the same thing. After filling one of them with the lid closed tight it swelled up and started making a funny noise like it was about to blow. They aren't made for that kind of pressure. I would just drain them every so often to keep fresh water in them.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I wouldn't put any pressure on the IBC tanks.
You could put a float to keep them topped off.
Run a line from the bottom valve to the trees/garden.
You could put a timer valve to water the plants.
It would be good to shut off the inlet valve and let the tanks drain dry occasionally.

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
Audience unclear on concept. Put valve AHEAD of the tank, tank never has pressure on it. Outlet at TOP of tank, always open. 55 gallon drums work fine too. And at Snake Ranch we use only Armadillo Approved valves. The kind you find at a garage sale for 2 bucks...

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts